[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

Working on a new release:

Mod settings:
CCsettings.PNG
CCsettings.PNG (133.86 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Reworking text:
I wasnt quite satified with some of the info text, so I have rewritten some of it.
Also, Khajiit and Argonians now have their own text.

Wet effect:
Haven't started this, but have it planned out. When you are submerged in water you will gain a substantial amount of cold. Once out of the water, it will take some time for the cold effect to pass.

Once the Wet effect is done I'm rolling out the new version and probably moving version number up to v1.0

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

So I have been testing and I really think that Khajiit need a better resistance to heat. They are from the desert, Elsweyr is dry and hot desert, or subtropical along the coasts. Meanwhile, my character is in Daggerfall during the height of summer, WITH resistance to Fire, naked but for a Cuirass, and still it's too hot here, in a temperate zone. I think that might be a bit too punishing in a temperate zone, and definitely my desert kitty should be able to at least wear a few pieces of armor and clothing before worrying about the temperature.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I’ve been thinking of making Khajiit more heat resistant, but then they get more cold voulnerable. And they have fur...
But I think I’ll do that in the next update.

Your problem with heat might be the cuirass. I might have made the platearmour heating a bit too punishing.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Even leather gauntlets and boots together and nothing else still leads to being too hot in Suns Height in a Temperate zone. So maybe that's true, but it's still not really the whole answer. The winter was harsh but doable, with full warmest gear I could find. But even then, once it stopped snowing my character started to overheat.

Maybe you could consider just pulling out the "tolerable" range a tad. It seems too often that a change of weather means quite a bit of equipment shifting is necessary. Maybe give Khajiit some resistance to Heat without changing their "body temperature" too. Although maybe lack of sunburn is already enough resistance.

Maybe tolerance range could be a racial trait, too. Humans and elves could be be better at shedding heat through sweat (one of humankind's actual evolutionary advantages), while having to rely on clothes to resist cold (the other advantage). Khajiit could be good at retaining heat and tolerating it, being desert creatures. Argonians could resist heat very well while being more susceptible to cold, due to their inherent lizardy nature.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm... I have had a feeling this might be the case. The mod has a temperature number that starts at 0 and then when it hits 10(warm) or -10(cold) it starts affecting you. But you will always wear something, which will move you over to around +5.

So I might actually just give all races -5 to make it so that if the temperature is perfectly temperate you will hit 0 while wearing some light clothing.

That said, you can just wear a loincloth with sandals for a single +1 heat.
Or in the case of Khahjiit and Argonians: go naked ;)

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:54 pm Hm... I have had a feeling this might be the case. The mod has a temperature number that starts at 0 and then when it hits 10(warm) or -10(cold) it starts affecting you. But you will always wear something, which will move you over to around +5.

So I might actually just give all races -5 to make it so that if the temperature is perfectly temperate you will hit 0 while wearing some light clothing.

That said, you can just wear a loincloth with sandals for a single +1 heat.
Or in the case of Khahjiit and Argonians: go naked ;)
A test: in Climates & Cloaks, how a Tuareg will do?

He's wearing a blue wool tunic and a cotton scarf in the Sahara desert, and do just fine. :D

Meaning, if you undress in the desert, you'll burn very soon. :oops:

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Yes, there are some clothes whose purpose is to shield you from the sun and allow your skin to breathe. We don't really have any examples in Daggerfall, tho.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, Daggerfall just has shorts, tunics and cloaks. The coolest clothes is has is the really skimpy outfits.

I might do something where a cloak will actually help in the desert during the day. We'll see.

As for going naked: I have a feature just for that:

Nudity Penalty
If you strip off all armor and clothing on legs and chest, you may start taking extra cold/heat damage from sunburn or frostbite. Does not apply to Argonians and Khajiit.

Granted, it simply demands that you wear SOMETHING. Even if that is a loincloth. The function is mostly there to make people feel like the mod isn't pressuring them to strip completely naked when it's hot.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

That tuareg is gorgeous and would be perfect, good reference Firebrand.

I often use the eodorics now with Climates and Claaks, particularly in the southern provinces. Maybe an expansion on that concept could be a good 'cool clothing that isn't so skimpy' direction among pre-existing assets.

Also good thinking Ralzar on allowing Khajiit and Argonian to go nude without penalty in stated conditions; the non men/mer races are better defined with those subtle differences.
Last edited by Aleryn on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Since you're working on the settings, could you add options for clothing amd armor to have their penalties turned on and off separately, a slider for the "safe zone" where temperature doesn't affect you, and an option to show the actual numbers ("Your temperature is -20.")? It would help in playtesting.