[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

What would probably really help is for the game to have an armor skill that limited the benefit from armor. So to get the complete Deadric Plate armor value you would need to master the Armor skill, while Leather would need really low skill.
Of course, having batter versions of leather and chain armor would also be very, very helpful to balance this out.

But now I'm getting off-topic. There are several armor mod threads allready.

Some time ago I considered diffrent armor materials give different heat, like Deadric being naturally warm, but I dismissed it as being needlessly complicated and I'd just get a bunch of lore-nerds going "ACHTUALLY, Dwarven plate armer is..." :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Helegad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 am Is it supposed to be this difficult to find balance? The only guidance we have in game is a description of the weather. No numbers to crunch.
Have you checked out the included PDF manual? It will at least give a helping hand in understanding what is going on.
However, notice that sometimes you'll be a bit cold or warm. This is not a big problem. You'll just lose Fatigue slightly faster.

Edit: Also, I see you are an Argonian. They are the weakes of all the races vs cold.

Edit2: Also, armor cools you down a bit when its cold. This is in the manual but I see I haven't updated the mod description.

Edit3: You can also exchange your casual cloak for a second formal cloak. They are much warmer.
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:57 am"ACHTUALLY, Dwarven plate armer is..." :D
:ugeek:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Jeoshua wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Ralzar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:57 am"ACHTUALLY, Dwarven plate armer is..." :D
:ugeek:
nerrrrds.jpg
nerrrrds.jpg (50.23 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:57 am What would probably really help is for the game to have an armor skill that limited the benefit from armor. So to get the complete Deadric Plate armor value you would need to master the Armor skill, while Leather would need really low skill.
Of course, having batter versions of leather and chain armor would also be very, very helpful to balance this out.
This is off-topic, but if we have already touched on this...

I like how vanilla handles armor rating, actually. It's much closer to the real world expirience, than modern gameplay where armor simply reduces damage. AFAIK in real life good plate armor usually fully protects you from any damage (at least if it is induced by blades), and you get damage only if enemy managed to penetrate it or find any gap between the parts of the armor.

In this sense Daggerfall system makes sense, at least if you suppose that chance-not-to-hit includes also chance to knock on armor with no real effect.

Plate armor must be much better than leather anyway. On the contrary, to survive in leather armor - this requires much more skill indeed :D

In my opinion. RR and C&C manages to balance both types of armor just perfectly. And there is no need to addanything else. Daggerfall approach that plate armor really protects better without without trade off for 'clumsiness' is actually pretty realistic, and now it's a bit better balanced with these mods.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:38 pm Plate armor must be much better than leather anyway. On the contrary, to survive in leather armor - this requires much more skill indeed :D

In my opinion. RR and C&C manages to balance both types of armor just perfectly. And there is no need to addanything else. Daggerfall approach that plate armor really protects better without without trade off for 'clumsiness' is actually pretty realistic, and now it's a bit better balanced with these mods.
I'd say an Armor Skill would represent how good you are at functioning normally while wearing armor. Maybe the skill would actually limit how much your other skills worked?

Edit: Allthough the real major limiter for plate should have been scarcity and price. If having a complete plate armor set was har to achieve this would all solve itself.

Anyway, this really demands its own thread.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:46 pm Edit: Allthough the real major limiter for plate should have been scarcity and price. If having a complete plate armor set was har to achieve this would all solve itself.
This.

Talking about gameplay balance, to credit of Daggerfall, there is also a quite significant trade-off between plate armor and leveling speed, which looks pretty good to me. Devs have realized that plate armor ban must put you in a pure big disadvantage and designed their game respectively.

L57

Post by L57 »

So, what's the best outfit for the Nord while in the heatest part of the southern Hammerfell desert? :lol: Just tried out of interest - I guess sandals, robes and hood are the best available choice in the afternoon to stay alive at least, and it's better to travel (and fight) at night, when it's very cold and hence comfortable enough for heavily armored warrior from the North :roll: Are there any non-obvious hints and advices in this regard?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 pm So, what's the best outfit for the Nord while in the heatest part of the southern Hammerfell desert? :lol: Just tried out of interest - I guess sandals, robes and hood are the best available choice in the afternoon to stay alive at least, and it's better to travel (and fight) at night, when it's very cold and hence comfortable enough for heavily armored warrior from the North :roll: Are there any non-obvious hints and advices in this regard?
Bring sunscreen? :D

Seriously though, I suffer from the same problem. I'm playing a nord that needs to travel to Sentinel for the next part of the Main Quest. It is the middle of the summer, so she is staying up north until autumn starts.
Nords just don't like deserts. I think you allready have figured out the best solution for moving around. The trick is really to accept that you can't wear armor in the sun unless you want to get overheated really fast.

Edit: Small note about sandals. The high sandals are named "Boots" in the inventory, so I suspect they might actually work the same as armored boots and not like sandals.

L57

Post by L57 »

Nords just don't like deserts. I think you allready have figured out the best solution for moving around. The trick is really to accept that you can't wear armor in the sun unless you want to get overheated really fast.
Yes. Have to wear it only in dungeons, etc. You can't live your entire life inside the armor anymore. :lol:
The high sandals are named "Boots" in the inventory, so I suspect they might actually work the same as armored boots and not like sandals.
will take a look. Would it be possible to fix this?