[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

Merlord wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 pm The way camping works in Ashfall is you swing an axe at a tree to harvest wood, place it on the ground and light it to make a campfire. This provides warmth, and allows you to cook food and boil water. Bedrolls provide warmth while sleeping outdoors at night, and tents provide shelter from the rain. There's needs mechanics which also interact with the temperature mechanics: staying well fed provides a bonus against the cold, while staying hydrated provides a bonus against heat.
Hm, I have been thinking in those lines. Although I have begun leaning towards simply carrying items with you that negates part of the mod. For example, a waterskin that gives -heat, logs that give -cold during rest, a bedroll that lowers debuffs during rest etc.
There has been talks of a "needs mod" but that is probably a bit ways off still, since we're still figuring out how to introduce items into the game. Particularly new ones, since we would need to draw new sprites that match the art style.
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Mod updated with fatigue debuff. I noticed that even though Strength and Fatigue was debuffed, it did not really lower max Fatigue, which was sort of the point: making you unable to travel as far in extreme conditions.

Edit: Actually, maybe it would be a better idea to drop the Endurance and Strength debuffs? And instead have heat/cold just affect max fatigue and perhaps healing rate during rest (if I figure out how to do that).

Merlord

Post by Merlord »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:11 pm
Hm, I have been thinking in those lines. Although I have begin leaning against simply carrying items with you that negates part of the mod. For example, a waterskin that gives -heat, logs that give -cold during rest, a bedroll that lowers debuffs during rest etc.
There has been talks of a "needs mod" but that is probably a bit ways off still, since we're still figuring out how to introduce items into the game. Particularly new ones, since we would need to draw new sprites that match the art style.
Yeah hopefully future updates makes it easier to add new items. I think the immersion of laying down a bedroll and building an actual campfire would be worth the extra effort. My dream is to play DFU with no fast travel, just making my way through the wilderness, living off the land, surviving the elements and making camp wherever I please :D

Maybe I'll have a crack at making the Needs mod one day, but given how fast you DF modders are someone will probably beat me to the punch again!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Merlord wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:45 pm My dream is to play DFU with no fast travel, just making my way through the wilderness, living off the land, surviving the elements and making camp wherever I please
In case you haven't tried it: The "Tedious Travel" mod pretty much achieves this feeling (minus the living off the land and making camp). It's using Tedious Travel to cross a desert that made me have the idea for this mod in the first place.

Merlord

Post by Merlord »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 pm In case you haven't tried it: The "Tedious Travel" mod pretty much achieves this feeling (minus the living off the land and making camp). It's using Tedious Travel to cross a desert that made me have the idea for this mod in the first place.
Yeah I've seen that, it's pretty great. With Tedious Travel and your mod, we're well on our way to the ultimate survival experience!

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

I've been looking forward to someone tackling this aspect of adding additional challenge/roleplaying related to weather and it looks great! I won't have much time during the holidays to work on my own projects but I'd like to get in a solid play-through with mods for once instead of testing and I think this will be a great addition!
Merlord wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:45 pm Maybe I'll have a crack at making the Needs mod one day, but given how fast you DF modders are someone will probably beat me to the punch again!
Welcome Merlord! I sincerely hope you work your magic on the Daggerfall world, basically every Morrowind mod you made has become a requirement for me and you really know how to flesh out immersion and fun. Looking forward to your contributions!

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Love the mod so far, thank you for creating this! It adds so much atmosphere and immersion.

I was curious if there is any lists or tables anywhere of what clothes are the warmest? I'm having trouble staying comfortable in the dead winter of the Wrothgarian Mountains.

If that is intentional then nevermind the question.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's something for the future ;)
Plans

Clothing
Make the heat from clothes be based on clothing type instead of a simple yes/no for chest, legs and cloaks.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:02 pm That's something for the future ;)
Plans

Clothing
Make the heat from clothes be based on clothing type instead of a simple yes/no for chest, legs and cloaks.
OHHH I missed that somehow. Thank you for clarifying it!

Cool then, the dead of winter is just harsh in some places and we haveta' cope. I can deal with that =)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

New update.

Did a bunch of number and mechanic changes. Hopefully I did not break anything. It is hard to test, since Daggerfall has such a wide variety of possible characters.

Added:

Race modifiers (including some special stuff for Argonians).
Armor warmth.
Naked penalty.