[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

No problem :)

Actually I am planning to switch from seasons to months. That will give me much more control over gradual temperature changes during the year.

I’ll have to take a look at the Wind, but if it has no ingame indication I’m not sure I’ll use it. Allthough I could add a text about a cool breeze...

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Well if you used a Lerp, you could add a slope. Instead of discrete numbers you could have an infinitely smooth curve giving slightly different results at all scales, even per tick. Two cycles would be required for full resolution, Yearly and Daily. You could add months to that if you think Masser has any effect on the temperature (doubtful, the sun is way more influential, there).

Sorry, climate simulation is kind of a hobby interest of mine.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, I can see the appeal. I just worry it might lead to people having to micro-manage their clothes a LOT during a single day.
I'll do some testing when I have time.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

If I'm right it would actually help a bit with micromanagement, since the beginning of the first spring day wouldn't be so drastically different than the winter night preceding it. I have straight up died a few times during those transitions.

Bundled up in the wilderness on a snowy night, dawn breaks and it's spring and not snowing and daytime and *Eergh* dead.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Haha. Duly noted. I’m doing som coding this evening so I migh take a look at that.

At the moment I just figured out how to split up the armor materials. So they can have different levels of heat production. I’ve allready split it into leather and chain.
So now its a question of: should diffrent plate materials have different heat?

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Well, maybe... You could tie it to the weight, too. More mass of metal is more of an effect. Makes Elven "light" protection and Orcish "heavy".

It would be interesting in that Daedric might be undesirable since it's too hot. Not many reasons now why not to cover yourself in the heaviest armor just because you can.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

True, and Deadric is basically "deamon armor" so maybe it's naturally hot? :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Version 0.8.5 of Climates & Cloaks available.

*Fixes Tedious Travel Port-travel bug.
*Changes from using Seasons to using Months.
*Different warmth for Leather, Chain and Plate.
*Specific text for checking "weather" in dungeons.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:40 pm True, and Deadric is basically "deamon armor" so maybe it's naturally hot? :D
Lore wise, no. Daedric Armor is forged in Oblivion, which is basically any realm not Nirn, so they're magic space monsters? The name Daedra supposedly means "Not Ancestors", which implies they're just not from this world, and the realms of Oblivion run the gamut from Cold to Hot. The three seen in ES games are either Cold or very Nirnlike, which explains their desire to take it over for their own.

Ahem. </Nerdmode>

I mean probably not.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Jeoshua wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:48 am
Ralzar wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:40 pm True, and Deadric is basically "deamon armor" so maybe it's naturally hot? :D
Lore wise, no. Daedric Armor is forged in Oblivion, which is basically any realm not Nirn, so they're magic space monsters? The name Daedra supposedly means "Not Ancestors", which implies they're just not from this world, and the realms of Oblivion run the gamut from Cold to Hot. The three seen in ES games are either Cold or very Nirnlike, which explains their desire to take it over for their own.

Ahem. </Nerdmode>

I mean probably not.
Good reasoning from the lore. The daedra also remind me a lot of Chaos in the various Warhammer properties. All their physical objects and manifestations therein feel like imperfect copies of corporeal objects and lifeforms, or their otherworldly properties can't fully express themselves within Nirn. Its a lot more complicated then that, but they do feel warp-like in that Warhammer way.

Relating to the mod? Daedric stuff is very open to interpretation. =)