Unleveled Mobs

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [WIP] Unleveled Mobs

Post by Ralzar »

Had a chat with Hazelnut and got us another tool for this mod:
In the same way we change the indexes, we can change the stats of existing enemy types.

Example:

Rat is ID = 0. See:

EnemyBasics.cs

Stick this in the mod code:

Code: Select all

EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].MinHealth = 1000;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].MaxHealth = 1001;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].BarkSound = (int)SoundClips.Halt;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].AttackSound = (int)SoundClips.Halt;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].MoveSound = (int)SoundClips.Halt;
All Rats now have 1000 HP and shout HALT.
(I'm sure there's a more elegant way of coding that :D)

This allows us to not only make new encounter tables, but also shift the power level of some enemies to make the encounter tables more balanced (Not to mention just making some enemy stats make more sense.)

This could, of course, also be used by itself to make a Enemy Overhaul Mod.
Last edited by Ralzar on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ok, tentative thoughts about this:

This is the distribution of dungeons from lowest to highest frequencies.
Split into 6 groups of three which could work as difficulty levels. (I simply chose 6 because there were 18 dungeon types, so it worked out.)

DngNrDiff.PNG
DngNrDiff.PNG (12.48 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

I haven't taken a closer look at the types of dungeons. There might be some that naturally fit for a type of enemy that naturally fits lower or higher. For example, Deadra will always be hard and animals will always be easy.
This can be fixed by simply moving some dungeon types up or down.
However, note that as far as I know there is nothing ingame that actually says straight out what type of dungeon it is. Instead you get some more or less vague text descriptions.
For example Dragons Den gives text like: "Scorched bones are everywhere."
It never actually mentions dragons. So Dragons Den could simply have fire based enemies without thinking about the dragon theme.

Another way to fix this is if we edit some enemy stats.

For example:
Mine and Natural Cave is generally animal based. Should bears and/or sabertooth tigers be more difficult enemies? I mean, fighting a bear in melee? Is that really a newbie fight? What about wereboars/wolves? They would be the bosses of animal-based dungeons. But they are really weak (particularly if you compare them to a player character with lycantrophy).
But the whole enemy stat edit CAN be done as a separate companion mod. Where either can be used by itself but are designed with eachother in mind.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Seeing you can adjust the Hp and sound of the mob... if we could adjust the size of the specific MOB and create lets say a 200% sized giant rat with a lot of hp and dmg, or a pack of 20 low hp 10% sized rats... that would be huge for a variety. It would also add a possibility of BOSS creatures. Huge Orc Warlords etc...

Anyway

Great job on this mod so far!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, introducing new enemies runs into a bunch of hurdles I think. There's spawn mechanics and enemy generating mechanics that are dependent on each other.
And then there's the whole "making new enemy graphics" problem. Although simply increasing the size of existing sprites seems doable.

It's something I really wish to do (and having help by someone who knows how to mod DFUs graphics would be handy ;)) but I'm not sure if it is doable at the moment.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yea it is not that easy unfortunatelly :/ But the hope dies last. I can make new graphic variants of the mobs quite easily btw. Basic approach would be just a matter of a color swap and imagination.

We can for example start with black color. So black mouse, bat, bear, werewolves? All with a different stats.
Than we can change the color of humanoid clothes from green/blue to whatever. Same with the weapons.

Anyway, I dont want to derail the topic any more than that. Its just a idea I have for quite some time :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:49 pm In the same way we change the indexes, we can change the stats of existing enemy types.

Example:

Rat is ID = 0. See:

EnemyBasics.cs

Stick this in the mod code:

Code: Select all

EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].MinHealth = 1000;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].MinHealth = 1001;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].BarkSound = (int)SoundClips.Halt;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].AttackSound = (int)SoundClips.Halt;
EnemyBasics.Enemies[0].MoveSound = (int)SoundClips.Halt;
All Rats now have 1000 HP and shout HALT.
(I'm sure there's a more elegant way of coding that :D)

This allows us to not only make new encounter tables, but also shift the power level of some enemies to make the encounter tables more balanced (Not to mention just making some enemy stats make more sense.)

This could, of course, also be used by itself to make a Enemy Overhaul Mod.
YES YES YES. This is an awesome idea. Enemy Overhaul neeeds to happen :D
Hazelnut wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:51 am
Jay_H wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:21 am Of course. I'm assuming Hazelnut wouldn't be bothered by my sharing it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y7Ce6 ... m2CgbXaEM7
Nope of course not, I am however bothered that it's not in your GitHub repo. ;-)
Ah, this is an excellent point. Now it is! Thank you for the reminder. https://github.com/JayH2971/unleveled-mobs

Jay_H

Re: Unleveled Mobs

Post by Jay_H »

Due to Hazelnut's help once again, the mod has been fixed and is working in game! Uploaded to Nexus and moving into Released Mods.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Wow, you guys work fast. Amazing job!

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Just stumbled on this, and it looks amazing - anything that works to remove the abjectly abhorrent scourge of good game design that is level scaling in all of its vile forms is OK in my book!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Wow, nice work :D

I am looking at the options for an Enemy Overhaul as a more or less separate project. Then we can possibly merge them together.

Is the code for the mod up on github?