Unleveled Mobs

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Unleveled Mobs

Post by Jay_H »

Purpose: Change DFU's monster spawning methods to eliminate level scaling. Also, caves will have exclusively natural enemies, spider nests will have spiders, orc strongholds will have orcs exclusively, and so on.

Warnings: This mod will make the game HARD. Wandering outdoors at night will also provoke undead spawns. Use the Unleveled Quests pack to try to alleviate this.

An enormous thanks to Hazelnut for helping me set up the Mod Builder so I could create and update this on my own. Without that help this absolutely would not have been possible.

I'll continue updating this mod as I figure out how to correct the monster types and decide methods to balance the dungeons.

At some point Ralzar and others will create much more developed mods to alter DFU's spawning, but this is a start with where DFU is now.

Download link: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/51

Ralzar

Re: [WIP] Unleveled Mobs

Post by Ralzar »

I’m going to see if I can’t take this for a spin tomorrow.
The first step toward removing level scaling :)

Once you have a stable script framework up and running for this we can take a look at just what results we can squeeeze out of it :)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

This sounds absolutely fantastic.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's rather janky right now for reasons we don't yet know. Hazelnut's going to see if the data transfer while creating the mod made some mistakes. For now, you'll just need to accept that this mod accomplishes like 60% of its purpose thus far :) And it'll need a loooot of balancing over time.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Like we discussed in chat, we can do a LOT with just the spawn tables. As long as we learn exactly how they work in the script and work within those confines.
With a mod settings file you could have several sets of tables and switch between them with the settings. Basically making several spawn mods in one.

But I’m getting ahead of myself :D
Do you have the script code anywhere? Perhaps I could figure something out about why its acting weird. (allthough with Hazelnut on the case there’s probably not too much to contribute.)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Of course. I'm assuming Hazelnut wouldn't be bothered by my sharing it: https://github.com/JayH2971/unleveled-mobs

BadLuckBurt has helped me see that some blocks will have unalterable fixed spawns in them; N0000021 will always have 3 Knights spawn in it, for example. Unless the blocks themselves change, those enemies will always be in that one. That's one of the limitations this mod will have even when fixed.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Great, taking a look at this later.

I saw 0.10.14 is out and there had been done some changes to alternate enemy spawning. Which probably means that the enemy spawning script you had in Unity and the one live used when you tested it was not identical. This might be why they behaved differently.

pango

Post by pango »

No, nothing new in Alternate Random Enemies Selection in 0.10.14, just enemies spawning in general that should give you a break under specific conditions...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Did testing. So far mod confirmed 100% ok.

Found a dungeon: type Ruined Castle

I just set Ruined Castle to produce only Centaurs.

Tested in Unity: got all Centaurs.

Built mod. Tested in 0.10.14: got all Centaurs

As BadLuckBurt pointed out, there is apparently some dungeon blocks that contain static enemies. I am fine with this and suggest we just shrug our shoulders and keep moving. They'll just add some spice to the dungeon and aren't level scaled anyway, seeing as they're static.

This seems to be exactly what we need to at least build a slightly improvised unleveled dungeon mod.
The big headache is making themed tables that do what we want based on how the spawn mechanic works.

So I'm not sure what level of modding you are aiming for here? We could split up the work of making all these tables. Or, we could make two or more sets of tables? And figure out how mod settings work so we can just switch between the table sets in the mod settings menu.
For example:

(All examples are themed. So Orc strongholds have orcs etc)

Set 1: Monster levels mixed for a more balanced experience. (I think this is what you are doing now?)

Set 2: Monster table difficulty based on dungeon frequency. So Natural Caves and Mines are Easy while Dragons Dens and Volcanic Caves are really hard? Might have to be adjusted for type of enemies. Deadra-themed dungeons should probably be the hardest.

Set 3: ? There are probably ways of doing this I haven't thought of yet.

Of course, we could also build seperate mods, but that seems like a lot of overlapping work (and can get needlessly competitive).

Thought for future: if we figure out how to place high level monsters in all quest rooms, that would be a perfect extra setting for this mod.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:21 am Of course. I'm assuming Hazelnut wouldn't be bothered by my sharing it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y7Ce6 ... m2CgbXaEM7
Nope of course not, I am however bothered that it's not in your GitHub repo. ;-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods