[MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ByteMixer

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

Post by ByteMixer »

Era II seems like a good pack. I have the "free" or "lite" (glorified demo) version that Best Service put out last year. But some of it is VERY usable! At some point I want to try to find a kick ass Hurdy Gurdy sample, but most I've listened to so far seem subpar or lackluster. Although the one in ERA Medieval Legends sounds pretty decent, and I might get that at some point just for that alone.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Lord_Braathen

Post by Lord_Braathen »

Elricwulf
Spoiler!
Elricwulf wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 am I'm glad my feedback made your day/inspired you - happy I could help! From a musician/creative perspective, I know how it's common to have doubts sometimes in your creations or your ability, and sometimes even one comment or supportive person who really likes your work can make a big difference. The great thing about music, though, especially remastering/restorative works like this, is even if you feel you aren't the most technically skilled musician or sound engineer, etc., if you have a good ear and you put your heart and soul into something, people are going to notice that. :)

I am very interested to hear what you can do with that new medieval instrument bundle. Just please if you alter the folk/tavern tracks I hope you don't mess with the flutes too much, because as I said, they sound the most natural and like real instruments of any rendering I've heard. All the flourishes, trills, etc. sound great; those parts are where the midi instruments struggle, and I remember always hearing the imperfections in that, and like the "machine gun-like" snare rolls, etc. but in your version, you really did a great job fixing many of those flaws in the limitations of the midi instruments, and it sounds like you maybe changed the expression/velocity or speeds in some cases to smooth it out, but I can't be sure. A human being is never going to play a drum roll as 'perfect' as a computer, and since the sample is exactly the same, they tend to sound bad unless you do some work with "humanizing" and add slight imperfections and variations in velocity/rhythm/etc. Many people working with Midi don't go through all that trouble, but it at least sounds to me like you did, unless the instruments/software you are using has that feature or something.

Oh, and as far as the "bad", I mean, I remember hearing a few places where the melodies and/or harmonies seemed a little weird or unfamiliar/different, but like I said, I was enjoying hearing some differences. For example, there may have been some parts that sounded like a different melody, or like a backing/counter melody was being accentuated louder than the dominant melody, so it gave the track a different tonality. I can't remember the specific tracks, since I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing in depth, but when I get a chance, I will try to give some feedback on anything I hear like that. As far as the stuttering, no, it's not in the ogg files - I'm listening to them now on WinAmp - It's something in the game that is not noticeable at first, but it seems like over time, (like maybe an hour or 2?) the stuttering and lag gets worse (not just the music, the game itself) until I exit for a while and relaunch DFU. I feel like that's something with DF Unity that isn't playing nice with my system's memory or resources over time, so nothing to worry on your end. In fact, I think I'll add back all your tracks for now, and see if it even seems like it makes a difference. If not, I may as well enjoy the new tracks! I'll have to copy them to my work computer so I can chillax to them while working.

Good luck with the new endeavors, but don't ever feel obligated - if you are doing it as a labor of passion, then you are probably going to do best. If you try to force yourself, because you think people are expecting it or whatever, you can burn yourself out. Take a break if you need it. That said, I know sometimes the best work happens for me in a kind of obsessive state, like "I have to get this right or I need to finish this!" Haha. So good luck with it in any case. ;)

Thanks for your encouragements, i needed that to give me the mojo to keep it real !

Don't worry, I won't touch the Folk and tavern tracks, i bough a woodwinds solo library in prome (quite expensive though) https://8dio.com/instrument/bundle-10-claire-woodwind/, the instruments samples are great but dry, so needed a lot of work to sound musical and wet.

Regarding the volume for each track, i used midi files transcripted by the old community decades ago, if i knew original midi files was accessible, my remaster will be more faithful to the original material and i'm sorry for that.
For the midi problem, they were still there (machine gun, repetition, false notes etc..), i made several modifications and arrangements to solve these issues, it's why it took me so much time. Same for humanizing the score sheet for each tracks, but for this, it was more easy. Indeed, Studio one includes an humanization option where you can modify some parameters(velocity and timing).

I will be interested if you tell where " backing/counter melody was being accentuated louder than the dominant melody", i played a lot with the panning and the volume of the instrument's tracks to make the music all and one.

Of course, this remaster is driven by passion, patience and efforts(when sometimes music sucks but you have to do the integrality of the soundtrack). I will take my time and release the new version when it will be ready as they say.
Thank you again for you exhaustive answers and pertinent comments.

ByteMixer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:01 am Era II seems like a good pack. I have the "free" or "lite" (glorified demo) version that Best Service put out last year. But some of it is VERY usable! At some point I want to try to find a kick ass Hurdy Gurdy sample, but most I've listened to so far seem subpar or lackluster. Although the one in ERA Medieval Legends sounds pretty decent, and I might get that at some point just for that alone.
I made some test, it sounds dry as a lot of good libraries but it's its versatility which catch and made me buy it. Yes the presence of Hurdy Gurdy was quite a deal for me, but also the viola da gamba and some hand drums which can transform my tracks in a better way. The advantage of ERA 2 is the number of instruments compared to Rinacimento of Fluffy audio (less instruments and sounds ultra wet)
Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Oops, sorry I haven't been on as much lately, so I suppose this is a bit of a necro-post, being several months old.

I actually prefer dry sounds, since I prefer to dial in and fine tune my own reverb settings. IMO some libraries (Looking at you EastWest) are too awash in reverb, even with the closer mic mixes.

Even though it's more for being a "sketch library" I just submit the questionnaire for Spitfire's BBCSO Discovery (the uber-lite version) The lite library only has 1 dynamic/velocity layer, but it doesn't sound bad, and they use some crossfading tricks. The articulations are pretty basic/limited, though. And just the one mic mix, but it seems to be the "Mic Mix 1" that people prefer.

I think it will blend well with, or enhance/flesh out the free libraries I use (VSCO 2 CE and VPO 3, probably more of VPO 3 than the other).

I might see about buying the Core version at a later time. I don't exactly have a lot of money to throw at sample libraries, and I still want to get Era II. So even at a discount, $349 is too much for me right now, hah! And I'm not a professional orchestrator to begin with.

Anyway, if you haven't already finished your work, take your time. 70+ tracks is a pretty daunting number for a project, and it can be a chore to keep it all together and consistent. Take breaks if you need them. There's no rush on any of this. Looking forward to hearing the end result!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman