[Mod] Believable Equipment Characteristics And Durability

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

[Mod] Believable Equipment Characteristics And Durability

Post by Magicono43 »

Believable Equipment Characteristics And Durability

Changes how equipment durability is damaged, and how much damage equipment takes based on what material and weapon type is being used to deal said damage.

Download

UPDATE LOG:
  • Version 1.10, 3/26/2020: Fixed some bugs, redid parts of the code for easier modification when needed. Also made it so bows and short-blade weapons last much longer than before.

WHAT DOES THIS MOD CHANGE AND WHY?:
  • Overall, increases how much condition damage equipment takes from both dealing damage and taking damage. With the purpose being that more mind will have to be kept on maintaining ones equipment, instead of being able to cut down 1000s of foes before your elven longsword needs to be sharpened, or that you leather shield can take 3000 blows from a giant before it a useless pile of nothing.
  • This equipment damage will also be increased or decreased depending on what is being used to deal said damage, as well as the attributes of the attacker. This can be seen in that all attacks will have the attackers strength attribute add onto this condition damage.
  • Unarmed attacks will deal condition damage to equipment now, unlike in the base game where only attacks with a weapon would do damage to the equipment that was hit. Unarmed attacks make up most of the attacks the player will ever take, so this adds quite a bit more overall wear to armor.
  • Blunt type weapons (Staves, Maces, Flails, and Warhammers) will deal their increased condition damage based on the weapons current weight value. So that super light ebony staff will deal nearly no damage to the equipment of a target, but that Steel flail will deal much more condition damage compared to the staff. On the topic of blunt weapons, the well padded leather armor will take much less damage from blunt force, and will deal more damage to shields of all types, as well as dealing more damage to chain armor.
  • All other weapon types (essentially all bladed) will deal increased condition damage based on what material the target is wearing as compared to the weapon the attacker is using. Simply put, that ebony katana is going to rip those leather pants into useless scraps in a few blows. That Dwarven War-axe will be able to cut large gashes into a Dwarven Cuirass, but will mostly stay structurally sound. That Iron Dagger will barely put a scuff on that Orcish helmet. This difference in damage is reduced or increased depending on how far each material is away from each other on the "Tier list" of materials. A Daedric Long-bow will deal additional damage to all materials, besides itself, but will deal much more to iron armor compared to Orcish or Ebony, etc.
  • Additionally with all weapons that are not blunt, they will deal less damage to shields and less to chain armors.
  • The effective "maximum condition" of all materials have been equalized in a sense, in an attempt to balance how long one would expect their equipment to last before it needed to be repaired/maintained. In the classic game, a leather cuirass has 4096 maximum condition damage, whereas this value is multiplied based on the material modifier of the item. So a daedric cuirass has 32768 max cond. damage, 8 times more, in practice this is way too much, especially when in practice the player is being hit less as well with that better armor, so that daedric cuirass will NEVER practically need to be repaired. That is why I have attempted to equalize them, there is still an advantage in terms of longevity for wearing better materials of course, that being the higher the tier of said piece of equipment, the final condition damage value will be reduced based on this. So yes, that daedric cuirass will last much longer than the leather one, but not to the insane extent that classic has it.
  • The player will have a simple pop-up message appear when pieces of their equipment get below a certain percentage threshold. The message is also dependent on the piece of equipment that is in disrepair. Don't expect this to work perfectly, it's currently just in a state of "You should usually get warned, and sometimes you will be warned a few times more than you should be." This is mostly from lack of finding a solution on how to make it more elegant on my part, so hopefully I can make this warning system better in the future.
  • When I say equipment, I don't just mean protective armor either, expect to need to sharpen your blades and restring your bows more often than before (that being pretty much never). I hope to be able to better balance these values out in the future, but from some testing they seem fair, and not overly intrusive to general game-play, but it makes you have to possibly bring spare equipment with you, or possibly save some gold to maintain your work-gear instead of instantly picking up that fancy pair of mithril gauntlets.

Sorry for the short novel, but since essentially all of this is calculated behind the scenes, I felt some detailed explanation was necessary, as well as what my general purpose was in creating this.

I hope to make more mods similar to this, both small and large, but I figure a smaller module sort of thing would be better than a large general overhaul, at least for now since i'm still new to this.

Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, i'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

Edit 1 -- 3/20/2020, 9:55 AM: Link to Git-hub page, as per request. Github
Edit 2 -- 3/26/2020, 1:55 AM: Released Update Version 1.10
Edit 3 -- 7/5/2020, 3:05 PM: The Current Version is still be compatible with DFU V0.10.24. If you find anything strange going on, feel free to make a post about it, thanks.
Edit 4 -- 7/19/2020, 9:15 PM: Released Update Version Compatible With DFU v0.10.25, Also added ability to fully function with other mods that add armor items, such as Roleplay Realism: Items.
Last edited by Magicono43 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ralzar

Re: [Mod] Believable Equipment Characteristics And Durability

Post by Ralzar »

You wouldn't happen to have a github for this? I'd like to look over the code without having to strip it out of DFU.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:55 am You wouldn't happen to have a github for this? I'd like to look over the code without having to strip it out of DFU.
Sure i'll make one and link it. Don't expect anything revolutionary, it's basically just if and else if statements with some simple math.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:55 am You wouldn't happen to have a github for this? I'd like to look over the code without having to strip it out of DFU.
Here is the link, i'll add it to the main post as well.

https://github.com/magicono43/DFU-Mod_B ... Durability

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Released Update Version 1.10. See Main Post For Details.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

it would be cool if we could repair our equipment in the field somehow.

or maybe have clickable anvils in towns without blacksmiths.

Have the level you can repair your equipment to be based on str and int.

something like that

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Funny you bring that up, because I put that on my personal "Mod Idea List", making whetstones that you could buy and stuff like that. I would like to do this, but i'll have to figure out how to add new items into the game first, if that's even possible in the current build, I think you can mostly just override items that already exist though, if i'm not mistaken.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

put a little easter egg in where you can use iron weapons to sharpen each other

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Regnier wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:11 am it would be cool if we could repair our equipment in the field somehow.
This has been suggested to me, but for my mods I want to enhance the gameplay already there - in this case a repair at shop mechanic with it taking time as well as money. Field repairs would detract from that system, so I wont be doing anything like that.

It may fit in this mod though, and you will be able to add utility items very easily once the next build is out. If you want to develop before that, I suggest you grab my branch of DFU until it's merged into master. Let me know when you have graphics etc and I'll tell you what your mod needs to do.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:46 am
Regnier wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:11 am it would be cool if we could repair our equipment in the field somehow.
This has been suggested to me, but for my mods I want to enhance the gameplay already there - in this case a repair at shop mechanic with it taking time as well as money. Field repairs would detract from that system, so I wont be doing anything like that.

It may fit in this mod though, and you will be able to add utility items very easily once the next build is out. If you want to develop before that, I suggest you grab my branch of DFU until it's merged into master. Let me know when you have graphics etc and I'll tell you what your mod needs to do.
Roger that, thanks for the heads up. I expect a lot of interesting things to start being created once this is a modding feature.