[MOD] Roleplay & Realism: Items (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Lanjane

Re: [MOD] Roleplay & Realism: Items (modular)

Post by Lanjane »

I was expecting you guys be true one-love fans of Daggerfall but still I'm amazed! It's hard for me to imagine a person who resisted an urge to play at least Morrowind, not even mentioning latest titles which were so much hyped everywhere.
By the way, currently I'm replaying Morrowind using OpenMW (kinda a Daggerfall Unity, but for Morrowind) and a huge new land mod Tamriel Rebuilt. It's not as huge as Daggerfall, obviously, but still the amount of content and landmass with tons of manually placed assets is just astonishing.

P.S. A small page regarding Dai-Katana stuff

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Akaviri_Dai-Katana

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I loved Daggerfall when it came out and played it for the last week of my xmas hols but I had small children and a lot of work on and I never got back into it. (still have my savefile though!) Played Morrowind for 100+ hours and loved it. Not so much with ES games after that, primarily due to the Toddlers influence on the games' design etc, but I always wanted to go back and play DF which is why I started helping with DFU development.

Never been that interested in the ES lore though myself. Sorry to disappoint. :)

Personally I am happy to replace the name, it's not something I care about. Ralzar is the one to convince on that score. It does seem like the rename has come from a place of ignorance and assumptions though... as demonstrated by neither of us knowing about Akaviri. Since he already said that he's not that attached to it, I think we can go ahead and remove the name change. Let's give it a few days and see if there's anyone who likes the new name first though.

Also, are there any other issues that need addressing? I've been away from DFU for a few weeks so I may have missed some stuff.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Lanjane

Post by Lanjane »

Hazelnut
There are no major issues other than new armor and weapon images be lowres and visually incompatible with D.R.E.A.M. because of that. Not as easy to fix unfortunately, but requested as I see from posts on Nexus.

Antony89

Post by Antony89 »

What about making the Medical skill trained through uses of bandages? It would make sense.
Last edited by Antony89 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hi folks, long time not seeing you! :)
I'm not exactly sure if the object of this mod is to rebalance the weight of weapons for better in-game balance, or just to be more realistic.
If it's the first fine, but if it's the second, well... All weapons are too much heavy, compared to reality.
Here is the effective weight of real weapons, from medieval to modern times:
  • Viking era sword - 1115g
  • Norman sword - 1445g
  • 13thC falchion - 1360g
  • 14thC longsword - 1395g
  • 15thC longsword - 1540g
  • 15thC messer - 935g
  • 15thC arming sword - 1200g
  • 14th/15thC battle axe - 905g
  • 15thC warhammer - 930g
  • 16thC two-handed 'zweihander' - 3420g
  • 17thC rapier - 1235g
  • 16th-17thC basket-hilted backsword - 1145g
  • 18thC colichemarde smallsword - 435g
  • 18thC spadroon - 645g
  • 1811 Prussian cavalry sabre - 1135g
  • 1845 Royal Navy cutlass - 1235g
  • 1822 French cavalry sabre - 1085g
  • 1828 Highland officer basket-hilt broadsword - 1155g
  • 1845 Rifle Regiment officer's sabre - 770g
  • 1912 Cavalry officer sword - 1045g
  • Martini-Henry rifle and bayonet - 4300g
  • Medieval spear - 1360g
  • Medieval winged spear - 1555g
  • Danish great axe - 2155g
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38q-Ts0A8Yw&t=251s

TLDR: if the object of this mod is to have realistic weight for weapons, then:
  • one-handed sword should be 1-1,5 kg max
  • two-handed sword max 3,5 kg (I'm talking about a zweihander, a claymore is more around 2,5kg)
  • one-handed axe or hammer or mace around 1 kg
  • two-handed axe around 2kg
For two-handed hammer, I don't have a number, but seems reasonable for it to be between two-handed axe and two-handed sword. I suppose is more similar to the axe, because it's a blunt weapon also: a stick with a heavy weight at the end. It's more difficult to use than a sword with similar weight, because of the different weight distribution. So I'd say around 2 kg, like this one:
http://myarmoury.com/othr_aa_bec.html

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi Firebrand,

Yeah I decided not to mess with the weights too much - I tried to leave as many stats as vanilla as possible so the weights were re-balanced relative to the ridiculous weights vanilla has. :D There's a rumour that the weights of weapons at least were entered from lb's to kg without conversion so just a bit more than double real weights.

I hope you understand the decision to do it this way and just balance weights relative to get the weapon balance results I wanted without changing more than absolutely necessary.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Antony89 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:46 am What about making the Medical skill trained through uses of bandages? I would make sense.
Yeah, good call - will make that change in the next version.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:55 pm Hi Firebrand,

Yeah I decided not to mess with the weights too much - I tried to leave as many stats as vanilla as possible so the weights were re-balanced relative to the ridiculous weights vanilla has. :D There's a rumour that the weights of weapons at least were entered from lb's to kg without conversion so just a bit more than double real weights.

I hope you understand the decision to do it this way and just balance weights relative to get the weapon balance results I wanted without changing more than absolutely necessary.
Hi, I see your point, and I understand your choice.
However, being me like I am ( 😁 ), being that the mod name includes the word "Realism", I'd probably followed a different, but much more time consuming and difficult road: realistic weights for weapons and armor, and max amount of weight carried by anyone.
But it's just because of the mod name :lol: ;)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Patch notes:

*Changed mod name to" Roleplay & Semi-Realism".

:D

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firebrand wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 pm Hi, I see your point, and I understand your choice.
However, being me like I am ( 😁 ), being that the mod name includes the word "Realism", I'd probably followed a different, but much more time consuming and difficult road: realistic weights for weapons and armor, and max amount of weight carried by anyone.
But it's just because of the mod name :lol: ;)
Well I would riposte with Tamriel may have different gravity to Earth in which case weight could be multiplied even though mass would be identical. :lol:

Or, more semantically, it's 'realism' not 'realistic'... I didn't remove magic either. :P

But seriously, I take your point. :)

(BTW I am not changing name to have 'semi' in it!)