[MOD] Unleveled Spells released

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
meritamas

[MOD] Unleveled Spells released

Post by meritamas »

Unleveled Spells

A mod to remove character level from the equation of determining the strength of player-cast spells. A move toward an Unleveled World (see progress here too).

A big thank you to Interkarma for his helpful suggestions and LypyL and others for the modding tutorials.

Will not be updating this thread. Please check out MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod here.

Please download from NexusMods
Source code for version 0.5 available for Download from Dropbox here. (a bit older version, will be updating that with version 0.6)

Current latest released version is 0.5, DFU version 0.10.27

Not all spell effects are supported yet. Will be planning to add further features and supported effects as I can get to it. Please report any bugs you encounter.
20/DEC/2020 It seems I will find some time to work on this mod in the coming weeks. My plans are to release 0.6 in January-February
- add a lot more spells to the supported ones
- integrate Advanced Teleportation
- perhaps add some more additional spells
(my first thought would be a repair spell - it would work in a way similar to Repair Tools - like an aggregated repair tool only without needing any tools in the inventory and would spend magicka instead of fatigue)
After that, I'll see to getting rid of the issues some users have reported and also to get it to work with the latest version available then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unleveled Spells-forum picture.png
Unleveled Spells-forum picture.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features

The mod introductes the concept of Spell Level (SL) and the duration, chance of success and magnitude of PC-cast spells (of supported effect types) is a function of the relevant magic skill, Willpower and Luck.

Formulas introduced by the mod:
Skill Spell Level = (Relevant Magic Skill - 9 ) / 3
Willpower Spell Level = 10 + (Willpower / 5)

Luck will have a role in that there will be (Luck -50)/ 10 points available to increase (or decrease) the one of the aforementioned with the lower value.

Overall Spell Level is defined as the lower of Skill Spell Level and Willpower Spell Level after applying the Luck-points.

I am open to adding other, alternative formulas in the future if there is substantial interest.

The spell effects currently supported are:

RESTORATION: HealFatigue, HealHealth, CureDisease, CureParalyzation, CurePoison, FreeAction, SpellAbsorption, Regenerate
DESTRUCTION: DamageHealth, DamageFatigue, DamageSpellPoints, ContinuousDamageFatigue, ContinuousDamageHealth, ContinuousDamageSpellPoints, Disintegrate
THAUMATURGY: WaterWalking, DetectEnemy, DetectMagic, DetectTreasure, Levitate, SpellReflection, SpellAbsorption
ALTERATION: Slowfall, WaterBreathing, Paralyze, Shield
MYSTICISM: DispelDaedra, DispelUndead, DispelMagic, Silence, SoulTrap
ILLUSION: ChameleonNormal, ChameleonTrue
Last edited by meritamas on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

meritamas

Re: [MOD] Unleveled Spells released

Post by meritamas »

Reserved.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

I plan to dedicate this post to the discussion of known issues related to the mod.

ACTIVATING/DEACTIVATING THE MOD / PRE-EXISTING SAVES (20 JUNE 2020 UPDATE)

Seems that if you tweak the effects during the life of a character, all sorts of anomalies can arise. There shouldn't be such issues if the character is created with a specific mod configuration that doesn't change during the character's lifetime. Most of the time, however, this is not the case: we install (enable, update, disable etc.) mods all the time, so the issues do arise. I encountered this more with regard to my Advanced Teleportation mod, nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to address this phenomenon here too.

Definitely one of the sources of such issues is the fact that effect data is sometimes stored in save games (about the effects active at the time of save). If the game creates a save with a particular mod on, the mod's things could get stored in the save game, too. Then, if you load the save game, without the appropriate mod on...

...well, in this case, it reads the effect data and if it encounters anything that belongs to the mod, it tries to instantiate an object whose class it doesn't know (effects have their own classes and having the mod off means that that particular class is not part of the code) - I expect the code doing that would throw an exception, exit and you end up with some game features lost (like: no HUD) because the code that would otherwise be providing them, had exited with an unhandled exception. A similar thing could be responsible for the anomalies when the mod is first introduced. So I will need to be cautious with overriding effects that are not used solely for the magic system (elemental resistances come to mind as a good candidate).

I could find no way to prevent this from happening other than to ensure such effect is not in the saves to begin with. Therefore, I strongly advise against removing the mod when there would be modded effects recorded in the save (like a spell with a duration was cast and it could still be active). Similarly, applying the mod should not be attempted to saves where e.g. spell missiles where flying all over the place. One single such object is enough to get an exception thrown and render the game unplayable. I will try to improve on QoL, but for now, giving such warnings is all I can do.
Last edited by meritamas on Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, interesting. Do you have a github repository for this? I'd like a look at the code?

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Ralzar wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:07 pm Hm, interesting. Do you have a github repository for this? I'd like a look at the code?
No, I don't use github at the moment.
I have uploaded the source code to Dropbox for you or anyone else who might like to look at it. Added a link in the first post.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

I plan to release a newer version of the mod during the summer, sometime DFU v. 0.10.24 is already out.

If anybody has any suggestions on which spell effects to include next, please do share these with me. For the most part, this is a discretionary issue. I do them as I can get to them. I will give priority to those effects that users of the mod would like implemented ('unleveled').

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Seeing as this is released, yo should ask a mod to move it over to the "Released Mods" section.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I just reported a bug on your nexus page. My magic item makes the game crash. I figured you might want a savefile ;)
SAVE23.zip
(383.57 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:58 pm I just reported a bug on your nexus page. My magic item makes the game crash. [...]
Thanks for reporting the bug. I am quite busy with other things at the moment but will definitely take a look at it. After all, we cannot have magic items hanging the game, it needs to be fixed :)

I have a couple of ideas what the issue could be just from the description you provided on Nexus (as I remember it). Could you please keep me updated if you experience such behavior with other magic items?
It would also help to know one very specific thing: was the mod on at the exact moment when the item in question was spawned in the game?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

meritamas wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:15 pm It would also help to know one very specific thing: was the mod on at the exact moment when the item in question was spawned in the game?
Ah damn. That's hard to say. But I'm leaning towards "no".

Also, I just got the same kinda bug, but with a spell. The standard Balyanas Balm spell. Which I think I bought without having the mod active.

If the problem is spells and magic items being generated without your mod, you might look into having some way of flagging spell effects as modded and then a script on startup that checs all spells and magic items.