[MOD] Readied Spellcasting Hands

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jefetienne

[MOD] Readied Spellcasting Hands

Post by jefetienne »

Readied Spellcasting Hands
[Updated 0.10.27 11/18/2020]

Nexus page

VERSION 1.1 UPDATE:
Adds support for elemental type-specific mod texture overrides. On its own, version 1.1 will be no different from 1.0 if you do not use a texture mod, but after seeing some support from retexture modders such as KingOfWorms, version 1.1 can allow for specific hand textures to appear instead (such as glowing red hands for fire, white/blue for shock, green for poison, etc.)

readied_spellcasting_hands.png
readied_spellcasting_hands.png (850.56 KiB) Viewed 4057 times

-----
Need to channel your inner Nerevarine? Like Morrowind, this mod enhances the visual experience of spellcasting by displaying hands when you hold a targeted or touch spell.

The hand texture is taken directly from your Arena2 folder, so it will work with retexture mods as well!
Last edited by jefetienne on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Readied Spellcasting Hands

Post by Ralzar »

Oh wow. That's a really clever little mod idea. You hands just disappearing while having a spell loaded leads to a lot of confusion for players, and it just looks a little "off".

If you were ever going to make a fancy version of this, I would reccommend taking a few frames of the spell casting animation and looping it. So you have magical energies pulsating over your hands. BUt not sure if that's doable and if the casting frames have frames that really work for that.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Thanks!
Ralzar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:18 am
If you were ever going to make a fancy version of this, I would reccommend taking a few frames of the spell casting animation and looping it. So you have magical energies pulsating over your hands. BUt not sure if that's doable and if the casting frames have frames that really work for that.
The casting frames might not be the greatest option since certain particles are shown on the edges of the screen, but you just gave me the idea to create colored outlines (like enchanted weapons) for the hands!
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

If you give me the artwork, I could load it into my animation system and give casting some simple animation effect of some type. If you gave me two or three images, I could even load them during the animation to give it a more dynamic look.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 pm If you give me the artwork, I could load it into my animation system and give casting some simple animation effect of some type. If you gave me two or three images, I could even load them during the animation to give it a more dynamic look.
Sure thing! And you are free to intregate my code for this mod in your projects as well.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for being open. I didn't want to accidentally take away from your work on this.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15 pm Thanks for being open. I didn't want to accidentally take away from your work on this.
No problem at all :)
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Jefetienne, I like this mod and it made me think of the upgrade to it.

So when the hands with the loaded spells are visible, I created various auras around them. Green for poison, blue for shock, yellow for fire etc.

It works but the problem is, your mod uses the hands for fire spells all the time, so no matter what spell I have loaded, I get the yellow aura.

Daggerfall has 5 specific hands, each one for each spell
FIRE00C6.CIF_0-0 - thats the one u use
FRST00C6.CIF_0-0
MJIC00C6.CIF_0-0
POIS00C6.CIF_0-0
SHOK00C6.CIF_0-0

I understand why you used just one hand, because in vanilla, the hands all look the same.

But if you could implement the proper hands being used for this mod, than if combined with the DREAM it could produce the proper auras for each spell loaded. So you actually have a visual feedback on what kind of spell is ready in your hands. Plus it looks cool :)

Work in progress:
FRST00C6.CIF_0-0.jpg
FRST00C6.CIF_0-0.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:52 pm Hi Jefetienne, I like this mod and it made me think of the upgrade to it.

So when the hands with the loaded spells are visible, I created various auras around them. Green for poison, blue for shock, yellow for fire etc.

It works but the problem is, your mod uses the hands for fire spells all the time, so no matter what spell I have loaded, I get the yellow aura.

Daggerfall has 5 specific hands, each one for each spell
FIRE00C6.CIF_0-0 - thats the one u use
FRST00C6.CIF_0-0
MJIC00C6.CIF_0-0
POIS00C6.CIF_0-0
SHOK00C6.CIF_0-0

I understand why you used just one hand, because in vanilla, the hands all look the same.

But if you could implement the proper hands being used for this mod, than if combined with the DREAM it could produce the proper auras for each spell loaded. So you actually have a visual feedback on what kind of spell is ready in your hands. Plus it looks cool :)

Work in progress:
FRST00C6.CIF_0-0.jpg
Wow, that looks amazing! I'll try and work on it ASAP, possibly tonight.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:52 pm But if you could implement the proper hands being used for this mod, than if combined with the DREAM it could produce the proper auras for each spell loaded. So you actually have a visual feedback on what kind of spell is ready in your hands. Plus it looks cool :)
Thanks KoW for the idea!

VERSION 1.1 UPDATE:
Adds support for elemental type-specific mod texture overrides. On its own, version 1.1 will be no different from 1.0 if you do not use a texture mod, but after seeing some support from retexture modders such as KingOfWorms, version 1.1 can allow for specific hand textures to appear instead (such as glowing red hands for fire, white/blue for shock, green for poison, etc.)
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub