[Mod] Basic Magic Regen

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
User avatar
Magicono43
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am

[Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Magicono43 »

Basic Magic Regen

Adds a simple Passive Mana Regeneration system that effects the player. The type of regeneration can be toggled from either a flat amount based on the Willpower stat, or a percentage based on the Willpower stat. There are multiple options to increase or decrease the amount generated per "tick" as well as how often these regen "ticks" occur.


Download


WHAT DOES THIS MOD CHANGE AND WHY?:
  • It can be very difficult to play a "full" magic user build in Daggerfall. The main reason being that using magic can be very expensive in terms of dealing damage, and the player mana pool is only so large that most encounters will leave them without mana to continue fighting, so they have to switch back to being a melee fighter essentially most of the time. This mods aims to try and make a "full" magic user build more viable, by allowing mana to not just regenerate from resting, but passively even while not sleeping. In a similar vein to how passive mana regen works in Oblivion and Skyrim.
  • It is extremely easy to customize the passive mana regeneration to your preference with the simple settings options available. If you want to have mana all the time, you can set it that way, if you just want the passive generation to be a small supplement to your resources, you can do that as well. Change the frequency of each regen "tick" and the amount generated each "tick" as well, all still based on the players Willpower stat. The Luck stat also has a small role as well.


SPOILERS/MORE DETAILS:
  • Willpower is the main factor in determining how much mana regen will occur per "tick." However, every point of Willpower will have an effect, not just multiples of 10. Decimal values will be considered and have a 100 sided die roll every regen "tick." So 51 will = 10% chance of rolling a 6 on that "tick", where as 59 will = 90% chance of rolling a 6. This roll for the remainder values is modified further by the players LUCK stat. So higher luck will increase the odds of a higher regen "tick" value occurring, lower doing the opposite.
  • If you want EXACT numbers and information on how some mechanics and formula work in this mod, under the hood. You can look at the source code yourself from the Github linked lower down. You can also email/post a thread on the parent forum post linked below and I would be happy to answer any questions.


OPTIONS:
  • Magic Regen Type: Toggle between "Flat" and "Percentage" based mana regen. Default 0 = Flat, 1 = Percentage.
  • Tick Regen Frequency: How often regen "ticks" occur. Can set from 1-6, 1 is default. 1 = ~5 seconds, 6 = ~30 seconds.
  • Rest Regen Tick Delay: Default = 10 || Magic Rounds Between Regen Ticks During Rest Or Loitering.
  • Regen Amount Modifier: Multiplier on final regen amount per "tick." Can set from 0.25 - 5, 1 is default.

    Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, i'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

    Github Source Code: Github


    Possible Future Feature Ideas & Concepts To Be Added:


    Edit 1 -- 7/18/2020, 10:15 PM: Released Update Version 1.10
Last edited by Magicono43 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Magicono43
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Magicono43 »

Final-Draft_Lets-Mana-Up.png
Final-Draft_Lets-Mana-Up.png (820.59 KiB) Viewed 3580 times

Simple Poor Quality Video Of How The Regen Looks/Works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olbThUf ... =emb_title

User avatar
HydroHastile
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:12 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by HydroHastile »

I have a suggestion. Is it possible to make an option to have the magicka regen tick be hourly instead? What I was thinking would be nice is if magicka regenerated without the need for a rest, but still at (roughly) the same speed as vanilla.

User avatar
Magicono43
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Magicono43 »

HydroHastile wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:19 pm I have a suggestion. Is it possible to make an option to have the magicka regen tick be hourly instead? What I was thinking would be nice is if magicka regenerated without the need for a rest, but still at (roughly) the same speed as vanilla.
Yes, it would be possible to do this. Instead of using the event handler "OnNextMagicRound" I would instead use "OnNewHour". However, keep in mind just how long an hour in real-time is in Daggerfall. Each Magic Round lasts 1 in-game minute, and each minute in-game is about 5 seconds real-time. So 5 seconds * 60 minutes = ~300 real-seconds for 1 in-game hour to pass without using the rest window. That's 5 real minutes between regen ticks.

Now unless I made the amount gained from a tick crazy high, it would nearly have no effect on your mana meter in any real sense due to this fact. If somebody really wants something like this, that's basically why I added the option to increase the number of magic rounds between regen ticks. If you set it to the maximum of 6, that's 30 real seconds between each regen tick, which is a decent amount of time.

Ah_Ftagn
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

In my experience, setting this mod's settings to 1/6/0.2 has a minimal impact on game balance at higher amounts of Willpower, so I recommend that if you want resting to still matter.

User avatar
Magicono43
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Magicono43 »

Ah_Ftagn wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:47 pm In my experience, setting this mod's settings to 1/6/0.2 has a minimal impact on game balance at higher amounts of Willpower, so I recommend that if you want resting to still matter.
Well, i'm glad that I added the extra settings then, so that people can play with the values as they see fit. Now that's a pretty low value, lol. But I guess with a high maximum mana pool, that would add up over time.

User avatar
Aleryn
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:59 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Aleryn »

Does this mod have any effect upon stamina usage? It seems on my build/mod setup that to regain mana, stamina is seemingly consumed. But its inconsistent?

I highly suspect its another mod or something else, but thought I'd ask as I debug things.

User avatar
Magicono43
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Magicono43 »

Aleryn wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:59 am Does this mod have any effect upon stamina usage? It seems on my build/mod setup that to regain mana, stamina is seemingly consumed. But its inconsistent?

I highly suspect its another mod or something else, but thought I'd ask as I debug things.
Nope, there is no code involving stamina in this mod. This is likely an effect of stamina usage being checked at the same intervals as my mana regen "ticks." That being every spell round.

Ah_Ftagn
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

The example I gave also had high INT Too, and the 3X INT magicka amount. So yeah, it definitely does have a very gradual impact if you set the values all that low.

User avatar
Magicono43
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am

Re: [Mod] Basic Magic Regen

Post by Magicono43 »

Released DFU v0.10.25, tested and proven to be compatible update. Unfortunately, the new Unity build won't let me build for the Linux platform atm, so if you are a Linux user, you can continue to use my 0.10.24 version, but no guarantee it will work with DFU 0.10.25. Will try and resolve this whenever possible.

Post Reply