[MOD] Travel Options

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Regnier

Re: [MOD] Travel Options

Post by Regnier »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:40 pm Or to be able to walk around while you have local map opened in the city...
Is it possible to be able to travel to the gates of cities? It would be a way to get around huge towns without the needless clomping.

gates are typically on all four walls? or maybe you could just travel to quadrants of the map. This is optional as a way of getting around faster for PC but in game it takes time (minimum is 1hr i guess?). That or designate north west east south as travelable locations.

you could add speech checks for building discovery. This would take care of the monotony of asking about every location in town, leaving talking to townspeople as a time saving mechanism (4 hours to travel the four quadrants and discover most buildings in city vs talking to a few townsfolk) and more about asking where specific houses or people are. (would this be considered removing functionality of speech or better incorporating it?)

lots of ideas, lol

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

I just thought of a quick way of getting around town.

If you need to go north just find a location to the north and travel there, youll run through the city in no time; especially if youre along a wall.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

So this mod is bugged or I'm doing something really wrong, but everything I've tested doesn't work. Basically I can't ship travel to Daggerfall city even though it's a port city and if I try to then this message shows:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7046&sid ... c13a35c33a

These are my mod settings:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7045&sid ... c13a35c33a

I also tried ticking the "only to ports" option and that does nothing.

I'm trying to travel from Holmarket (a port city) but it won't let me travel to Daggerfall city. Strangely, the ship travel DOES work when I select Ashlsly Court and Kinging Court (which are "Homes" on the world map) and they are counted as port locations.
Attachments
Daggerfall_Unity 2020-12-19 20.40. 47.jpg
Daggerfall_Unity 2020-12-19 20.40. 47.jpg (772.73 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Daggerfall_Unity 2020-12-19 20.50. 25.jpg
Daggerfall_Unity 2020-12-19 20.50. 25.jpg (604.32 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Last edited by emmathepony on Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

I have the same problem, and I've mentioned it here in the thread before. I tried to ship travel from Daggerfal city to Wrothgaria but had to travel to a location in Betony first because otherwise it wouldn't let me and just kept showing the "your trip doesn't cross an ocean" message. It seems like this mod only allows you to travel by ship if your trip crosses an ocean (so from the mainland to an island or from an island to the mainland) which Imo doesn't make a lot of sense and should probably be changed.
Last edited by imsobadatnicknames on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:03 pm It seems like this mod only allows you to travel by ship if your trip crosses an ocean (so from the mainland to an island or from an island to the mainland) which Imo doesn't make a lot of sense and should probably be changed.
In my case, I can travel "along" the ocean to the Home locations below Daggerfall city, just not the city itself. It seems like only certain locations are bugged.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Hmmm, i must have been mistaken then and it must be only specific locations like you say.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's based on the travel calculations that the base DFU does, and if no ocean map pixels are along the route then it doesn't allow a ship to be used. I understand it's frustrating that it's basically insisting that the most direct route is used and you cannot currently make it consider a longer, but faster, route by sea. To do that I'd need to code my own travel calculations, which I may do but not at the moment as I my life is a mess and I just don't have the mental capacity right now. Hopefully that will change, but I cannot promise anything. Sorry :(

For the time being if this is a problem for anyone, I suggest switching off the ship travel restriction. You can enforce it yourself manually if you want, but this will allow ship travel from anywhere.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

emmathepony wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:56 pm I'm trying to travel from Holmarket (a port city) but it won't let me travel to Daggerfall city. Strangely, the ship travel DOES work when I select Ashlsly Court and Kinging Court (which are "Homes" on the world map) and they are counted as port locations.
One way to work around this shortcoming of Travel Options is to use islands. For head canon, just tell yourself that there's no direct ship routes to where you're going but you can take one ship to a harbour where you can get on another ship that's going where you intend to go ;)

So you do this:
ShipShip.png
ShipShip.png (52.46 KiB) Viewed 3244 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Just released v1.3.1 with an extra option to disable using different size location dots if players wish to. Sorry for the delay, I did the change a couple months ago but forgot to build an release.

I think this was a request from you KoW, IIRC. Anyway it's not been rigorously tested so would appreciate feedback if anyone finds an issue and I will try to sort it tomorrow.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've been working on the issue of falling through terrain and into the void recently and I think I might have a way of automatically dialling back the time acceleration before it occurs to avoid it happening. If anyone has this happening regularly and would be prepared to test a build and report back if it works on your system, please download the attached mod version and see how it goes. You should find that the acceleration is automatically reduced when it detects that the game is struggling to keep up with the speed of travel.

This worked nicely when running in the editor for me, but I have a fast PC so running a build it was never skipping detection of entering new terrains even at 100x so I really could use some testing with lower spec PCs. Hopefully it is working with a build but I have zero evidence. :)

Note that there are two ways you can fall though the terrain (I think) and this only mitigates one of them. If it's triggering you should see the time accel drop by 5 each time without you touching the controls. WHat I need is a report of whether a. this happens and b. does it seem to reduce the amount of falling incidents at high speeds?
Attachments
traveloptions-1.3.2.7z
(28.64 KiB) Downloaded 141 times