[MOD] Travel Options

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Travel Options

Post by Ralzar »

This is Hazelnuts mod so I think you should ask him ;) But I actually saw this behaviour a time or two while using Tedious Travel where it bugged out during travel and left me back in normal game but timelapsed.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've just released v1.1 with several fixes:
  • Fix riding sounds not being disabled
  • Fix weather not being re-enabled
  • Make more robust when used with other mods that have not been made compatible (hopefully, quite hard for me to test)
  • Draw roads and tracks under location dots on travel map
Unfortunately making it more robust makes the pause travel message not so useful for other mods because travel is now stopped by any message box or UI used. I will develop a way for other mods to prevent this so they can control things by useing pause message but that will be in next version.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

yabay wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:27 am And can you introduce into the mod the function of traveling to any pixel of the map, and not just to the locations shown on the map?
Thanks!
This would actually be really nice if possible. But I suspect there's some technical limitation to doing this?

If nothing else, it would be handy when manually searching for the castle in Mountain Rumors ;)

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That limitation was coded in explicitly to avoid people not paying attention from ending up drowned. You should travel by ship, as the message states.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Version 1.2 is out on Nexus now with fixes and improved support for mod integration - see first post for new mod messages.

fosley

Post by fosley »

I was looking at Tedious Travel a while back, and had an alternative mode that made more sense to me. Not sure how feasible or difficult it is, but it might be worth thinking about for this mod:

Instead of having a real-time 3D view of the world, why not a Fallout 1/2 style of travel with some improvements?
1. Your dot moves across the map in real time, using whatever acceleration makes sense, with the ability to pause, drop to 3D, cancel, etc.
2. Reckless travel makes a beeline for the destination.
3. Cautious travel makes a beeline for towns along the destination, such that you arrive at each town near dusk, then leave again just after dawn.
4. A "planner" line could show where the travel mode intends to take you, ideally before travel begins. Like how Google maps gives you different options to select from depending on whether you want to avoid traffic, get there fast, avoid hills, etc.
5. Encounters should occur more far from town, and less frequently near town (presumably, local guards and militias are patrolling civilized areas). This means Cautious travel is less likely to engage in encounters.
6. Likewise, the difficulty of encounters should increase in more remote areas.
7. Camping out at night should greatly increase your odds of getting attacked at night.
8. Sleeping in an inn should be safe from brigands, but you might still get into a bar fight or similar. Those with bounties would run an increased risk of being spotted and caught by the guards.

Off-topic for a second:
9a. I haven't used the Basic Roads mod yet, but it would be nice if it made an attempt to be somewhat realistic in road placement.
9b. Really, it would involve using a specific terrain mesh (so you know where the terrain is) where you could put roads in low places, wind them around mountains, properly carve out the side of highly-sloped terrain so the road lays flat, etc.
9c. Then have more roads between major cities, with fewer roads to lesser cities. Farms and temples might only have a single "driveway" linking them to a nearby road.
9d. Further, it would be nice to define regions around the bay that are "more advanced" or "less advanced", such that road density is relative to presumed wealth and population. The Wrothgarian mountains might have very few roads, with some of the farms and temples having no driveway at all, while the Daggerfall region might have roads practically everywhere.
9e. Each road could have a size, traffic density, and danger level associated with it, depending on the size of the cities connecting it, how far into the wilderness it goes, etc.

Back to the topic:
10. Given proper roads (or even the basic roads in the existing mod), a third travel option that always sticks to the roads would be awesome (edit: apparently this is already implemented to some degree and I didn't notice it). You could even have the two option sets combine, so you can do:
10a. Cautious road travel takes the safest route, which would likely consist of a direct route to the nearest big city, then only takes "safe" roads between major cities all the way to the destination.
10b. Reckless road travel takes the shortest route without leaving the road, regardless of safety. It might stop you at a city if you're within an hour of quitting for the day, but otherwise camps out along the way.
10c. Cautious basic travel takes direct routes to a city such that you (mostly) get there around evening.
10d. Reckless basic travel takes the most direct route possible and just camps out in the evening.

With regard to water and boats:
11. No matter your travel method, the route should never try to take you directly through the water on foot or horseback. If boats aren't being considered, the route should direct you around the bay.
12. Alternately, as a more immediate variant that doesn't require proper pathfinding, have the ability to select several legs of the journey, with each leg warning you if it will take you across the water as you choose it.
13. When boats are considered, the path would take you to a port town, at which point you'd make a beeline across the water to the port town nearest your destination (or, as pathfinding improves, a route that doesn't have your ship sail across dry land between ports).
14. Optionally, shipping lanes and so forth could be added much like roads under point (9) above.
15. A super-cool variant would allow the player to be attack by pirate ships, mermaids, and giant squid en-route. Etc.
16. Support for "water mounts" or various kinds of water-walking, fast swimming, etc. would be cool.
17. Likewise, support for flying mounts or character flight would be cool.
18. Edit to add: I think the mod already does this to a degree, but, like FO1/2, travel speed should be based on factors like stamina, speed, mounted or not, and on the terrain geometry. Hills and marshes are slower than flatlands, snow is slower than summer, fog and rain make it easier to take a wrong turn, etc. Ship type could affect speed on water, making it legitimately worth it to pay the extra 100k other than just "I have a bigger ship".
19. Would be cool if you could make a wrong turn, and the map would tell you that you're going along the path, but then you suddenly end up three squares away in an orc encampment. Full of orcs who don't mind murdering you politely. Presumably based on some combination of Luck, Intellect, and skills (though I'm not really sure what skills would apply here - stealth to reduce your chances they see you, with the option to fight or flee if they don't; various creature skills to apply diplomacy, with the option to fight, steal or flee if you succeed; but nothing really says "wilderness survival" in the existing skills).
20. Additionally, cautious vs. reckless could alter how much fatigue you're willing to lose before setting up camp for the night.

Obviously a lot of this takes a ton of work. But at least the basic skeleton of the system would make the travel system a lot more immersive without taking real-time hours or breaking on anything shy of a supercomputer.
Last edited by fosley on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

Might already be known, but...

Looks like there's an enum or something being displayed in the pause text. Either that, or Dungeon Ruin at least needs a space, at least in English. :D
DungeonRuin.JPG
DungeonRuin.JPG (61.55 KiB) Viewed 3001 times

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

Does it make sense to Pause travel (even if Nearby is selected) when the thing that's Nearby is your destination? Seems that might be one time you want to ignore Nearby and instead continue to destination?

I suppose ultimately it's just a couple extra keystrokes to continue the rest of the way, so perhaps it's not a big deal, or maybe there really are times stopping further away makes sense.