[Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

[Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

Post by Magicono43 »

Random Starting Dungeon

The Player Starts In A Random Dungeon In The Iliac Bay.

Download

WHAT DOES THIS MOD CHANGE AND WHY?:
  • After starting a few characters in Daggerfall, I think it can be become quickly apparently that always starting in the same dungeon, located in the same region of the world can get pretty bland, predictable does not equal fun in a RPG if you ask me. So this mod aims to help with that problem by having the player start in a completely random dungeon in any of the regions of the Iliac Bay.
  • This mod works best with mods such as Tedious Travel, as your starting location means much more when you can't fast travel to another part of the world in two seconds flat. There are extensive options that can be toggled in order to start in a place you or your character might be more fond of, such as in a scorpion nest in a desert region.

SPOILERS/MORE DETAILS/INDIVIDUAL MODULE INFO:
  • When you spawn in a random dungeon, if that dungeon also has valid dungeon blocks, you will also be spawned near a quest marker location inside of one of the dungeon blocks of that location. If there is no valid dungeon blocks in that particular dungeon (fairly rare) you will instead be automatically spawned near the interior exit of that dungeon.
  • If you happen to spawn in a particularly bad location in a dungeon, feel free to type the console command "tele2exit" to be brought to the dungeons exit door.
  • If you really don't like the location you were spawned in, you can try again with the console command "manual_random_teleport" which will bring you to another random dungeon in the world, based on your setting parameters.
  • If you want EXACT numbers and information on how some mechanics and formula work in this mod, under the hood. You can look at the source code yourself from the GitHub linked lower down. You can also email/post a thread on the parent forum post linked below and I would be happy to answer any questions.

OPTIONS:
  • Quest Dungeons: Allows Quest Dungeons To Be Spawned In || Default = False.
  • Isolated Island Dungeons: Allows Dungeons To Be Spawned In Located On Uninhabited Islands || Default = True.
  • Populated Island Dungeons: Allows Dungeons To Be Spawned In Located On Inhabited Islands || Default = True.
--- Climates:
  • Ocean: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Ocean Climate || Default = True.
  • Desert: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Desert Climate || Default = True.
  • Hot Desert: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Hot Desert Climate || Default = True.
  • Mountain: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Mountain Climate || Default = True.
  • Rainforest: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Rainforest Climate || Default = True.
  • Swamp: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Swamp Climate || Default = True.
  • Subtropical: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Subtropical Climate || Default = True.
  • Mountain Woods: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Mountain Woods Climate || Default = True.
  • Woodlands: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Woodlands Climate || Default = True.
  • Haunted Woodlands: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Located In Haunted Woodlands Climate || Default = True.
--- Dungeon Types:
  • Scorpion Nest: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Scorpion Nest || Default = True.
  • Volcanic Caves: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Volcanic Caves || Default = True.
  • Barbarian Stronghold: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Barbarian Stronghold || Default = True.
  • Dragons Den: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Dragons Den || Default = True.
  • Giant Stronghold: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Giant Stronghold || Default = True.
  • Spider Nest: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Spider Nest || Default = True.
  • Ruined Castle: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Ruined Castle || Default = True.
  • Harpy Nest: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Harpy Nest || Default = True.
  • Laboratory: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Laboratory || Default = True.
  • Vampire Haunt: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Vampire Haunt || Default = True.
  • Coven: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Coven || Default = True.
  • Natural Cave: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Natural Cave || Default = True.
  • Mine: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Mine || Default = True.
  • Desecrated Temple: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Desecrated Temple || Default = True.
  • Prison: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Prison || Default = True.
  • Human Stronghold: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Human Stronghold || Default = True.
  • Orc Stronghold: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Orc Stronghold || Default = True.
  • Crypt: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Crypt || Default = True.
  • Cemetery: Allows Being Spawned In Dungeons Of Type Cemetery || Default = False.
--- Start Date Options:
  • Random Starting Date: Allows New Games To Randomly Choose A Starting Date.
  • Winter: Random Date Can Be Within The Winter Months.
  • Spring: Random Date Can Be Within The Spring Months.
  • Summer: Random Date Can Be Within The Summer Months.
  • Fall: Random Date Can Be Within The Fall Months.
--- Miscellaneous:
  • Safe Zone Size: Default = 30 || Changes Size Of Safe Zone Cleared Of Enemies Upon Spawning. 0 = Disabled, 200 = Huge.
  • Newer Version Workaround Toggle: While Using DFU Versions Above v0.15.2, Allows Workaround To Prevent Being Dropped Into The Void Initially. || Default = True.

Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, i'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

Github Source Code: Github

Possible Future Feature Ideas & Concepts To Be Added:
- 8/25/2020, 11:55 AM: Something similar to Skyrim's "Live Another Life" mod, where you select from a list of options in a conversation sort of way to basically determine where you will spawn in and in what state. Such as not just the dungeon, but also possibly the town/city or farm, etc, with possibly property or something around those lines.

Special Thanks:

Jehuty: For the original concept of this mod idea, from their mod with the same purpose that used the quest system instead of C#.

TheLacus: For their custom console command code that I used as a primary example for that feature, was invaluable for testing.

Hazelnut: For assistance when the live build was having OOM issues due to using a struct for an object, instead of a reference based class.

Kokytos: For fixing the perspective on the main thumb-nail image so the "board-game" actually looks like it is on the table instead of floating.

Versions/Updates:
  • v1.12 - 4/29/2023 - Mostly general code clean-up, added previously forgotten climate setting, settings can now be changed while in-game, etc
  • v1.13 - 9/25/2023 - Mostly a patch/workaround for a bug that would occur in DFU version v0.15.3 and later
Last edited by Magicono43 on Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

Post by Magicono43 »

RandomStartingDungeon_Thumnail_1.png
RandomStartingDungeon_Thumnail_1.png (994.17 KiB) Viewed 8937 times
RandomStartingDungeon_Thumnail_2.png
RandomStartingDungeon_Thumnail_2.png (829.28 KiB) Viewed 8937 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I highly support Magicono's version of this, and recommend it in every possible case over my randomizer mod.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Released Updated Version Compatible With DFU v0.10.26, on 9/23/2020.

WARNING: WILL NOT WORK in older DFU versions, at or before 0.10.24.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DISCLAIMER: If using an OS other than Windows, be aware you might see "patterns" of repeated dungeons, if this is the case, after making a character type into the console "Manual_Random_Teleport" to get another dungeon." This is potentially due to the built for windows version of the mod not being 100% 1-1 compatible with Operating Systems like Linux, causing some weirdness with the Random Generation seed. If there is enough issues that come up, i'll try and release all OS versions for the mod.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

This mod looks great and all but my main concern is how "lore friendly" this is, considering you're meant to start in a dungeon right off the coast and near to the Daggerfall region, which severely limits this mod's capability.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It isn't lore-friendly. It's intended to work like the Alternate Start mods for Morrowind and Skyrim, where the main quest doesn't exist. It pairs with Optional Main Quest quite well.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 am It isn't lore-friendly. It's intended to work like the Alternate Start mods for Morrowind and Skyrim, where the main quest doesn't exist. It pairs with Optional Main Quest quite well.
Yeah, that's how I look at it. The main-quest and everything is not something I made this mod with any regard for. Just like the Live Another Life mod in Skyrim and such.
Last edited by Magicono43 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

CringingDragon

Post by CringingDragon »

Really wanted to enjoy this mod but I feel like every dungeon I randomly spawn in puts me in the farthest deepest corner of the dungeon and it feels near impossible to get out of any of them. The older mod did much of the same but I felt where you started in a dungeon could be completely random, from near the entrance, to the back lower corner, to anywhere in between. Merely suggesting more variety to where one spawns in a dungeon, if it does not already exist and I'm just having a string of bad luck. And maybe less chances of spawning directly in a room with several characters.

I know most people prob aren't concerned with it but I play perma death runs and def can feel the demand for me to grind out of the first dungeon. Thanks for your efforts, as the other random start location mod is no longer being updated, at least we have something.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

CringingDragon wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 am Really wanted to enjoy this mod but I feel like every dungeon I randomly spawn in puts me in the farthest deepest corner of the dungeon and it feels near impossible to get out of any of them. The older mod did much of the same but I felt where you started in a dungeon could be completely random, from near the entrance, to the back lower corner, to anywhere in between. Merely suggesting more variety to where one spawns in a dungeon, if it does not already exist and I'm just having a string of bad luck. And maybe less chances of spawning directly in a room with several characters.

I know most people prob aren't concerned with it but I play perma death runs and def can feel the demand for me to grind out of the first dungeon. Thanks for your efforts, as the other random start location mod is no longer being updated, at least we have something.
Well in this case the spawn location is not really in my control since the spawn locations used are just where quest items can spawn in whichever dungeon blocks are available in whichever dungeon gets chosen. This is not optimal as the quest items are generally located near enemies, or behind obstacles (which I did my best to filter out the more unfair/inescapable ones.) I was considering trying to delete the enemies that are close to your location to wherever you spawn, but I did not figure out a way to do it with my little experience in Unity commands.

I'm not sure what you mean about another random dungeon mod besides the quest based one Jehuty made very long ago? Which that one never spawned you anywhere but the entrance of the random dungeon as far as I recall, which you can also simulate with mine by after spawning typing in the console "tele2exit."