[Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jarlyjarljarl

Re: [Mod] Random Starting Dungeon

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

I've been noticing that the mod seems to only be transporting me to the same places every time. If I change the settings the place I end up will change, but I'll always end up in that place with those settings.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:07 pm I've been noticing that the mod seems to only be transporting me to the same places every time. If I change the settings the place I end up will change, but I'll always end up in that place with those settings.
Somebody else was having this issue before and I did not really have an answer for them and they were the only one reporting behavior like that at the time. Do you also happen to be using Linux as your operating system? Because that was what they were using as well.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Magicono43 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:19 pm
Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:07 pm I've been noticing that the mod seems to only be transporting me to the same places every time. If I change the settings the place I end up will change, but I'll always end up in that place with those settings.
Somebody else was having this issue before and I did not really have an answer for them and they were the only one reporting behavior like that at the time. Do you also happen to be using Linux as your operating system? Because that was what they were using as well.
I'm using Windows. But, I did just start a new game and noticed that it gave me a different starting location this time. Maybe some of the starting locations get favoured heavily for some reason?

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I really could not tell you honestly, initially when Jehuty mentioned he was having a similar issue on his Linux system, I put it down to possible weirdness with different systems and how random number generators function or something, now that you brought it up, or at least a seemingly similar problem on a Windows system, I really have no clue what could be the issue.

I guess for now, if it is still mostly functioning, then that's good enough hopefully, lol.

Hammerlars

Post by Hammerlars »

Thank you for this, being able to start anywhere but the same old place is great!
But I wanted to ask if you've gotten any work done on being able to start in random towns rather than dungeons, as it could be great fun to roleplay as someone from a random village in a random kingdom going on adventures.

Anyway, great work on the mod!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Hammerlars wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:48 am Thank you for this, being able to start anywhere but the same old place is great!
But I wanted to ask if you've gotten any work done on being able to start in random towns rather than dungeons, as it could be great fun to roleplay as someone from a random village in a random kingdom going on adventures.

Anyway, great work on the mod!
I'm glad the mod has enhanced your enjoyment of the game. Unfortunately my attention has been somewhat all over the place recently and I have not done any further work on adding more features to this mod. When I have been working on DFU related stuff it has mostly been my overhaul project, which I eventually plan to integrate this mod directly into that "version" of the game when I ever get a version released to the public, as well as likely this feature you mentioned on there as well. But I unfortunately have no time-frame for any of this, besides "eventually." Sorry if the answer is the most satisfactory, but if somebody wanted to do this they are free to as the source code for this is available on my github, but that would be up to them, but until that time I hope you continue to enjoy the mod!

Hammerlars

Post by Hammerlars »

Thanks for your swift reply!
No worries aboout it,life happens!
And I am considering getting into modding myself, but since my experience mostly relates to RPG Maker and Game Maker I have a ways to go.
Good luck on your project, buddy!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Hammerlars wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:09 am Thanks for your swift reply!
No worries aboout it,life happens!
And I am considering getting into modding myself, but since my experience mostly relates to RPG Maker and Game Maker I have a ways to go.
Good luck on your project, buddy!
Appreciate it, and to you and your future projects as well! If you need help getting into the modding thing feel free to ask around here.

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

I had an issue with getting the same punishment in my court window (on Windows). Changing the random generation seed on saved game load worked for me. For you, you can do it on new game or whatever. UnityEngine.Random.InitState() would be the function you're looking for.

Code: Select all

UnityEngine.Random.InitState(Time.frameCount);
Edit: I'd probably delay it to right before your random roll since the DFU core uses that function a fair amount, even during chargen (I believe)
Last edited by DFIronman on Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Thanks, I'll have to try and add something like that whenever I finally do another update of the mod, thanks for the info.