[MOD] Basic Roads

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Gingerbreadman

Re: [MOD] Basic Roads

Post by Gingerbreadman »

Hi,
First of all, I would like to congratulate your nice work!

Second, I found a bug precisely at the road north of Midbury in the Daggerfall region. An invisible wall seems to block the road when you're coming from the north, making it impossible to actually follow the road. I attached a picture of its location (console is giving a pixel location of 139x, 167y). It also does seems to stretch beyond infinity making it impossible to climb.

The only other landscape changing mod that I'm using is "Mountains and Hills".

Good day
Attachments
Invisible wall location
Invisible wall location
Midbury.png (930.28 KiB) Viewed 2997 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi, glad you like the mod. Are you sure you're only using Mountains & Hills? This is a problem that turned out to be handpainted models city walls when I investigated it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Gingerbreadman

Post by Gingerbreadman »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:14 pm Hi, glad you like the mod. Are you sure you're only using Mountains & Hills? This is a problem that turned out to be handpainted models city walls when I investigated it.
I'm also using handpainted models. Didn't know it affected landscape as well! After all, I was able to fix this in the weirdest way possible.
First, I tried simply reloading the save. Didn't worked. The invisible wall was still there.
Then, I exited and restarted DF unity. That didn't worked either.
Lastly, while trying to climb that wall, I fell off and died. So I reloaded my game and the wall was gone! Not sure why dying and reloading the save worked, but not reloading only. DF does works in mysterious way.

Update: Never mind. That only worked for the first time.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've reported the issue in the handpainted models thread. Disabling the appropriate module of that is the only way to solve this currently.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Braggi

Post by Braggi »

Here's a little added data for troubleshooting.

Similarities:
- I am using the Hand Painted Models mod and the Distant Terrain mod. The former mod is positioned so as to load after all the KOW Dream components, as recommended.

Situation:
I ran into the same problem in a different location, as follows. I normally base my character out of the city of Westhead Moor in Daggerfall. That city is out on a small southern peninsula protruding into the Illiac. After heading out to do some wilderness exploring to the northeast by following the coast of the peninsula, I saw the town of Oxwick east and slightly north of me.

I wanted to go into the town to sell off some loot and hit the same type of invisible wall that Gingerbreadman reported, running to the north and south of my position. Couldn't get past it on foot, on horse or by levitate. I saw an airship scoot by overhead on a line I thought might be where the wall was, so I saved, quit, disabled that mod and then reloaded. No dice - wall still in place. Then I fast travelled to Oxwick. Sold some stuff and headed back towards the coast to return to Westhead Moor.

When I hit the spot where the wall was, it was gone. Thinking this might be a one-sided thing, I tried heading back to Oxwick. No problem. Reloaded and tried several times to get the wall back and nothing. So, somehow, fast travel seems to have negated the wall for me. I have no idea why. Other then disabling the airships mod, I made no other changes to my mod and/or load order.

Sadly, I didn't have the presence of mind to use the X/Y co ordinates to nail the location of the wall down exactly, but Westhead Moor and Oxwick are very close to each other.

Hope that is useful for bug hunting.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Just released v1.0 of the Basic Roads mod now it's proven stable. No content changes at all, just refactored and added a new mod message so other terrain mods can integrate roads easily. There may be a minor performance impact from this on low spec machines, but this is purely theoretical and is probably so small it's insignificant. However if you do notice any appreciable difference then please let me know.

See the first post for how to integrate roads with your terrain mod.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

The road that connects Westwall to Grayidge in Tulune crosses the water. It should be modified to reach first Camelford (to the SE of Westwall) and then reach Grayidge by going first SW and then S.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Arneb wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm The road that connects Westwall to Grayidge in Tulune crosses the water. It should be modified to reach first Camelford (to the SE of Westwall) and then reach Grayidge by going first SW and then S.
Sorry for the double post, but after reading a few older posts I noticed that the issue with the road connecting Westwall and Grayidge had already been risen, and the public consensus was to leave it as it is.

Ok, that’s fine.

But I have to say that I find it to break immersion a bit too much, so yesterday I tried the console PathEditor command, and I have to say it’s really cool! Well done and easy to use.
Anyway, I “corrected” that road and saved exiting the editor, then saved the game and reloaded.

At that point everything seemed fine: the road had “moved”, both in game and in the world map. But obviously that wasn’t the case.
After a few seconds the world map had reverted back to the original road disposition. And, while in game the road was still as I modified it, trying to travel with “F” on the new road produced the “no road in this direction” message.

I noticed that there are two more commands to export the modified roads and tracks in a .bytes in the World Data folder, but that creates a file that froze my pc when I tried to open it. And I noticed two other files covering roads and tracks on a bit per bit basis.

Ok, sorry for the long post, but at the end of the day the question was pretty simple: is there a way to modify roads and tracks on my end? Or it is something that only the mod author can accomplish?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sorry for the lack of reply Arneb, I've been sick and not doing any DFU work. You can do this as all the commands are there, but I've not written any guide on how. If you are still interested please drop me a PM about it and I will help.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

New release of BasicRoads v1.2 released with the experimental and incomplete rivers and streams data added. For DFU 0.13.5 and rivers are disabled by default - enable in mod settings. Integrated into the latest version of Travel Options v1.6, don't use an older version of TO mod with this release. However it's fine to use the old v1.1 of BasicRoads with TravelOptions 1.6 if you have no interest in rivers and streams.

Get v1.2 from https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files