[MOD] Remastered Friends and Foes

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
carademono

[MOD] Remastered Friends and Foes

Post by carademono »

Remastered Friends and Foes
by carademono
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/190

Description
New, upscaled and highly polished sprites for all the villagers wandering around Daggerfall's towns and cities, for the adventurers and bandits roaming its wilderness, and (coming soon) for the monsters lurking in its dungeons. I've tried to balance three priorities: 1) realistic detail, 2) a painting-like aesthetic that blends in well with KoW's marvelous D.R.E.A.M. mods, and 3) fidelity to the original Daggerfall pixel art. I've added faces to all NPCs -- no more empty hoods and helmets -- and to all monsters with faces, including orcs and vampires.

Remastered Friends and Foes is divided into three dfmods:
remastered villagers.dfmod, which adds townfolk sprites.
remastered classes.dfmod, which adds adventurers and bandits sprites.
remastered monsters.dfmod, which adds monster sprites.

Installation
Download it from the Nexus (https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/190) and put remastered villagers.dfmod and / or remastered classes.dfmod in your StreamingAssets\Mods folder.

Compatibility
It should be compatible with everything except for D.R.E.A.M.'s sprite modules (which it replaces) and may have the same issues with VIO that D.R.E.A.M. has. I highly recommend that you use it with D.R.E.A.M. -- but make sure to put Remastered dfmods lower in the load order.

Changelog
v1.0: Original release
v1.5: Major improvements in all sprites, particularly while walking towards the player. Sprites are no longer mipmapped (oops!), so NPCs appear smooth in the distance. Added remastered guards, complete with faces that scowl at you in conversation with you, while walking towards you, or while swinging an axe at you.
v1.51: Guard now uses a vanilla Daggerfall face.
v2.0: Remastered Classes released.
v3.0: Remastered Monsters released.

Note: Do you have artistic skills and would like to touch these up further or even make your own alternative version? Send me a message and I'll be happy to send you the pngs.

Screenshots

Last edited by carademono on Mon May 17, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.

l3lessed

Re: [MOD] Remastered Villagers

Post by l3lessed »

Nice, holds the classic look wonderfully while giving it a more modern hi-res appearance. Thanks for the contribution.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

carademono

Post by carademono »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm Nice, holds the classic look wonderfully while giving it a more modern hi-res appearance. Thanks for the contribution.
Thanks so much for the kind words, l3lessed! I just figured out how to get the alpha channels to come out perfectly, but it's a labor intensive process. I'll probably get this released in a couple more weeks. These Daggerfall sprites are really triggering my perfectionist impulses!

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Looks great!
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

carademono

Post by carademono »

Alright, I think I've pushed this about as far as my meager artistic skills will go. This is my first DF Unity mod, so I'd really appreciate some playtesting and feedback before I post it to the Nexus! It should be compatible with everything except for D.R.E.A.M.'s commoners module (which it replaces) and may have the same issues with VIO that D.R.E.A.M. has.
Last edited by carademono on Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carademono

Post by carademono »

One question for those more in the know: is it possible to have some -- but not all -- of the sprites at ultra high-resolution? I'd like to have the flats (e.g. 389_5-0.png and 389_5-1.png) at extremely high resolutions, as the player can get very close to those, while keeping all the 0-0 through 4-3 walking sprites at a much lower resolution. But when I try this, it simply doesn't load any of the sprites.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Nevermind... I think I've got it worked out. And the difference in resolution and quality is striking! I'm planning on releasing to the Nexus this afternoon *hype*

carademono

Post by carademono »

Ok, it's released! Go grab the 1.0 version here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/190/

Mods, could you please put a thread in the released mods forum?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

If you want to make this system a bit more advanced, transplant the faces from these very close sprites to the front facing distant sprites, that way when the villager is heading towards you, the change from low res to high res is not that stark. At least thats what I did in DREAM. ;) But to be absolutely honest, my sprites are better IMO :D The xBRZ upscale you are curently using is where I started years ago, than went ahead and used AI upscaling and of course the manual drawn faces for much better results. xBRZ upscale has very bad quality of color gradients... so I kind miss the point here a bit. I know I know... should not have said it :D

carademono

Post by carademono »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 pm If you want to make this system a bit more advanced, transplant the faces from these very close sprites to the front facing distant sprites, that way when the villager is heading towards you, the change from low res to high res is not that stark.
Yes, I did that :) If the walking faces aren't showing up for you, please double-check that you don't have another mod or loose files in the Textures directory interfering.
King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 pmThe xBRZ upscale you are curently using is where I started years ago, than went ahead and used AI upscaling and of course the manual drawn faces for much better results.
The xBRZ filter just provided an initial base. After that I overlaid it with two rounds of Gigapixel AI upscaling and hand-painted faces, along with corrected waistlines and hands. I used gegl edge-detect filters to place the alpha channels.
King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 pm But to be absolutely honest, my sprites are better IMO :D .
It's a matter of personal preference, of course :) There's room for two different sprite mods. But I encourage you to download mine, if you haven't yet, wander around and see what you think. In any case I designed these to go along with your D.R.E.A.M. mod -- just with closer fidelity to the original pixel art and the artistic style of your high-res interior flats.

Anyway, here are some additional images for folks who are interested in more examples before downloading a 300mb mod file: