[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by l3lessed »

one question about resolution scaling.
1024pixels across is more than enough for the compass size as is. Higher resolution can only do as much on an image glued to your screen, especially if they're then downsized to fit it. As long as the image doesn't look blurry/pixelated it's good!
The render layer png is capped at 700X700. Wouldn't this mean, if I fullscreened minimap and put the render layer over 700X700, wouldn't it pixelate the camera render layer texture that is being piped to the canvas screens render layer. The render layer on a a 1980 by 1080 screen with the minimap full screened could go above 700 by 100 to 200 pixels, which would add pixelation right? Or do I not understand how the resolutions are converted on rendering in game?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I figured this out.

First, the canvas scaler delta size sets the resolution of the rect that contains the texture. From there, the scaler takes that set resolution and then figures out everything else from there using the rect transform scale property to then rescale it either downward or upward using the canvas scaler delta size as the base for this.

Never doing this before, I was doing this completely backwards. I was modifying the rect transform sizes on the fly and setting the scales as a permanent property that doesn't change. That led me to needing the super hi res images to make it not pixelate when it tried to scale the shrunk canvas scaler resolutions.

So, the solution is to make sure the canvas scaler delta size is set to the texture size, and then from there, use the rect transform scale to rescale it to the sizes you want.

This led to exactly what you said. Now, when the minimap sizes itself, it merely is scales down and up from the base 1024X1024 texture size to produce the even better looking textures with far less space required.

Thanks for this. It really fixed the bloat issue I created and allowed me to understand how to setup the UI properly so it is optimized for 1024 textures.

I'll push out the optimized version. It will also include a fix so all houses for sale show up in the minimap, including the rotation random ones that change very month.

I did up the render texture and compass textures to 1024 from the base 700 so it would all line up with the majority of textures that are set to 1024 already. I'll push them to the github, so you can have the new ones when I push the update.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great job, happy to hear that and Im looking forward the new version. I will try to fine-tune the textures afterwards, when I can hopefully easily inject them as a loose files and see the changes Im making translate ingame :)

Theres a room for some relatively easy improvements of few details here and there

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Just pushed the updated version.

With the assist of King of Worms, the canvas objects have been completely rebuilt to properly optimize texture use. This speeds up load time for everything, especially when loading a new game. However, this also helps when loading new cities, since the render texture is a optimized and scaled size.

Also, check the mod settings. There is now an option for the compass to be an equippable item. When you start the game, it will give you one automatically as of now.

Under the settings are also a ton of effect options to control each individual effect in some way.

I only need to add damage effects now.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Getting this error on Linux 0.13.1:

And this is what the compass looks like for me:

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Let me make sure I didn't grab the wrong build file.

I tested it on windows stand alone

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Sorry, it seemed I borked all of them on the last build. With how many things this mod requires to build properly into a dll precompile, it can go wrong quickly.

Anyways, I rebuilt it and tested it on stand alone 12.0 windows build, and it loaded just fine for me. Try again with the new compiled build for linux.

I'll be tweaking the effects some more. I updated them to try and improve their realism, but now they are to fast on their dripping, especially blood effects.

fruitsnack

Post by fruitsnack »

Thanks for this mod. There's several problems though.

The reason why the textures don't load on linux is because of incorrect texture path, they're case sensitive on linux, the textures are in "minimap" folder while in the code it looks up "Minimap."

There's another problem with dungeon collisions: it seems all collisions are duplicated and stay on their original places, like an elevator or a gate. When you activate either of these the actual collision of the object moves but also another one stays in place, so it's not possible to use elevators and gates.

Also since there's no setting saving it would be nice to downscale the compass a bit, on 16:9 (2560x1440) it is gigantic, taking nearly 1/3 of the screen and overlaps weapons.

And as shown above, the required version string is not formatted correctly (in the nexus version at least) so dfu complains about it even though it's > 0.13

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for all the reporting. I realized after I moved it here, I probably should of waiting a little longer for that and the nexus release. Oh well. :?

I did allot of bug tracking down and smashing, the biggest one being tons of errors cropping up when trying to load old saves with older versions of the mod. I could of been mean and said the saves are fubared and load new games/saves, but I dug into it and found the exact problem and created the solution, so now this is completely backwards compatibly with previous versions.

I've fixed the save issue not storing settings. This was a result of me trying to fix null errors when loading previous saves with older versions of the mod. The save was loading enums and dictionaries that no longer existed in the updated mod versions, and I found that just today. So, I built in a checker to ensure any dictionaries containing out of date enums will be checked and then repopulated with default new settings. This should only happen if you are loading a old save with corrupt dictionaries and enums.

I'll fix the texture path capilization. That is easy.

I'll check the dungeons collision, but there is no reason this should affect the base dungion collisions as I understand it. However, I need to see if the enabled minimap rmb blocks keep their collisions, and if they do, this could be the issue. The minimap was not ever intended to be running while the player was playing in first person, and as a result, this could be the issue at hand.

The version issue is really just an annoyance that can be ignore. This should work with older and newer versions. I'll back date the version requirement though to stop the message popup.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Official Bugs Smashed In Next Release:
  • Backwards Compatibility: Fixed corrupted dictionaries that were crashing old saves on loading newer versions of mod. Will now restore new default values if detects old corrupted mod version on loading a game.
  • Dungeon Automap Collision Removal: The automap mesh colliders are now disabled when the object is activated for minimap view. This should fix double collision bugs reported above.
  • Settings Save & Restore Correctly: In order to try and fix the corrupt dictionaries errors when loading old saves, I broke the settings save and load code. With the backwards compatibility bug gone, you can now save your settings to your game and it will load with that save.
  • Built In NPC Marker Cleaner: Put in code into the npcmaker update loop so if the npc disappears, the script will clean itself and all its objects automatically to minimize script load and possible null error calls. Not needed for buildings because of how the buildings populate and work.
  • Rebuilt Canvas Screen Space System and Textures: Using King of Worms advice and assist, optimized all textures and then rebuild the screen space object to properly size with player screen resolution and the texture resolution; All textures a 1024 other than the magic rip/swirl effect that is reduced to 512 because of how it is used. This should ensure ratios stay the same no matter resolution and ratio of player screen and increase performance some.
  • Realigned All Compass Layers: With a optimized screen space and properly ratio textures, I rebuilt all compass canvas layers so now the compass is naturally centered through the texture alignment itself. This centers the player and all other indicators better in the compass itself.
Official Feature Updates In Next Release:
  • Compass Health: Compass will now have health and receive damage based on player damage taken, clothing worn, and armor worn. The more layers and harder the chest armor, the less damage will transfer to the compass.
  • Broken Compass Glass: As the compass receives more damage, the glass will crack once, then break open, and then completely shatter.
  • Escaping Magic: Once the magic glass is cracked, the enchantments magic will start to try to get out by slowly opening up small magical vortex/portals that are unstable and then collapse back on themselves. The more glass you damage, the more the magic will break out and mess with your compass view. Each phase of damage adds a 1 to 3 more magic swirls in the compass until it is fixed.