[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by l3lessed »

I do not having them resized to proper sizing. You can adjust it to what you think is the best size for users. I'll fix the scale and placement in the code for the new sizes; it needs done anyways for optimization purposes.

Should this be scaled up to a 1024X1024 ratio? Would it be better to upscale it to 2048 for hi res players? Whatever resolution the compasses are set at, i'll scale the effects to that same resolution.

I probably needed to do this anyways to get perfect centering for all the layers. I was using the rect transforms and scale properties to adjust their sizing and placing, which I know is not the correct approach. Yours is, which is using the correct resolution and centering it using the canvas size and center.

By the way, I still have the shields you provided, and I do plan on putting them into my mod. I just need to find the time to recode the placement and sizing of shield to fit your new artwork.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

1024pixels across is more than enough for the compass size as is. Higher resolution can only do as much on an image glued to your screen, especially if they're then downsized to fit it. As long as the image doesn't look blurry/pixelated it's good!
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok I will do the resizing and everything but my mouse died a moment ago 😐 I type from my phone. I hate these modern mouse, its like 3rd dead one. Before a mouse was something which worked for a decade or until the conector type changed. I have no idea which to buy. I had a logitech wireless combo of mouse and KB.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

No rush. It works as it right now, just is super bloated size wise, which causes a noticeable delay to loading new games. This is a result of the engine dumping all these bloated files into a texture array for random effect pulls.

So, until it is optimized, this still works just fine. Just have to deal with the slight load lag, and also ensure you have a few extra megabytes of graphical memory/system Ram for the bloated texture arrays to be stored.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok mouse is working again, just after I ordered a new one :roll:

Anyway, the Glass folder (..l3lessed Enchanted Compass - Minimap mod\Compiled Mod File & Assets\Windows\Textures\minimap\Glass) has files for blood, dirt, damage inside it as well. Are those used or its just a mess? ;)

Because the folder Blood already has blood files in it.
And the folder Dirt has dirt files in it...
Folder Damage has the cracked glass files in it

So lets get this sorted. Lets only keep the files which are actually used in the mod and lets place them in the folders where they belong.

I will work on other files until this is dealt with.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

No problem. I'll clean it up for you today so you don't waste time on unneeded files.

Those are correct though. I'm using all the files in each directory, outside the broken/damage effect ones. However, once I add it in as a enchantable item to equip, I will use the damage effects.

The way the effect system works is this. Each folder can be viewed as a stored array of textures for that specific effect type.
When the game is launched, the mod reads the directory and loads all the textures into a texture array for later retrieval.
When a save or new game is loaded, it then creates the differing layers and effects, which are the compass overlay, the glass overlay, the render texture overlay, and an overlay for each effect type.
When the player plays, and a certain condition is met for applying a certain effect type (say blood), the mod randomly pulls one of the stored effect textures, excluding any already previous, and then applies it and the control script for it.
It does this until it loops through all stored effect textures and then resets and starts the random pull loop cycle.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its ok, I did everything :)

So, besides of the resizing of images and their canvas:

Main golden body - It had some JPEG artifacts and aliasing, all is deat with. The variants with the Gems were completely remade based on the original cleaned file (previously they suffered from some kind of low bit depth saving - they were indexed...aka 256 colors so a lot of color banding)

The Gems - not sure if they will be also ingame as separate items, but Ive worked on em as well, so they have removed the 256 colors issues, aliasing issues, correct dimensions...

Scroll cleaned - Ive created a HD variant. Resized the canvas on original so its */4 compatible

compassLinesGolden/purple - it has some aliasing, so that is dealt with, should look better now.

Created new color neutral optional variants - ok so the colors of the main golden body are not good in a sense they dont fit the game. DFU does not have these modern bright white highly contrast colors anywhere. This was a thing which killed my eyes in all your screens. So I took some of my screenshots, layed the golden body over it and tweaked so it matched the scenes. Night, dungeon, snow, sand... this new color neutral variant should fit the game much better. Try it pls.

I have no idea how the compass lines etc will look on that. I think they will need some work as well. I think I need to download your mod and try fitting the colors of all parts together, when it will work... Im very sure it can take the looks on another level! I also want to experiment on adding maybe slight shadows here and there. But for all this, I need a working mod with these resized textures Ive provided. Without it, its shooting in a dark.

All in all, Im sure once you fit these corrected textures, it will all work together better than it used to, while saving A LOT of resources.

Let me know, how it works, if there are some issues etc

DOWNLOAD
https://easyupload.io/0lqk6b

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

You sir are my hero and a beast with the art. Thank you so much.

As always, the work is so clean and beautiful. This will look much better now.

Time to move back to the compass mod and get these in.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

My pleasure 😊 when its all working, Id love to mak3 one more pass on it. But for that I need to see the changes ingame. Like I edit a texture in streaming assets and its visible in dfu. Im sure it will be possible

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

It is looking wonderful in game. I had a version working, but because of the work you did, it is clear I need to redo how the canvas is setup and scaled so it uses the texture sizes to their best abilities.