[MOD] Arena-Style Flavor Text

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Cliffworms

[MOD] Arena-Style Flavor Text

Post by Cliffworms »

Arena-Style Flavor Text 1.1
by Kab the Bird Ranger and Cliffworms

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus

Download on GitHub

Changelog
Spoiler!
Added texts for the Mages Guild

Fixed an issue where thunderstorms would cause every season's messages showing up one after the other

Arena-Style Flavor Text brings our favorite feature from the Elder Scrolls I Arena : flavor texts upon enteringa public location that describe the overall feeling of the place depending on weather, season, climate, time ofday and building type.

Patrons laughing upon entering the inn, distant chants in the temples, feelings of tension in palaces, or a shop'scheery atmosphere on a sunny summer day.

The messages show upon entering a location and the content varies depending, as mentioned, on the weather, season,climate, time of day and building type. At the moment, it affects the following locations : Temples, Taverns, Palaces, Shops and the Mages Guild.

Should someone be interested in writing up the texts for the Fighters Guild and the knightly orders,that would be more than welcome!

FLAVOR-TEXT EXAMPLES

You leave the overcast spring day and enter (tavern). The smell of simple baked breads coming from the kitchen seems like an invitation to stay.

You walk into the lord's audience chamber, noticing the many fine trappings and warm furs that decorate the area. The chill in your bones quickly melts, and you feel your limbs begin to thaw in the warm hear of the brightly lit interior. You welcome the brief respite from the cold. Ahead of you waits the lord of (city)...
As you enter (shop), golden glints from the fall sun reflect off of the many items of interest scattered about...

(temple) sanctuary is a place of peace. Only by concentrating on the world outside yourself can you hear the vague drumbeat of the autumn thunderstorm outside.

INSTALLATION

Make sure you are running Daggerfall Unity 0.11.5. (https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/releases)
Either install using Vortex Mod Manager on Nexus or install manually as described below.

Extract the content of the archive to the StreamingAssets of your Daggerfall Unity directory.

Example : [Your drive]\DagUnity\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets

If you already have the "Cliff" folder, you can overwrite without issue.

SAVE GAMES

If you are loading Arena-Style Flavor Text on an existing save game, you will need to open Daggerfall Unity's console and type the following :

StartQuest ARENAMSGMAIN

The quest controlling the texts will then be initiated.The key to open the console can be found in the settings, under the "Advanced" tab in "Controls".

CONFLICTS/KNOWN ERRORS

None known. Let Kab the Bird Ranger or Cliffworms know if something's wrong.

Here are some more screenshots to satisfy your thirst for DnD-style flavor text.

Last edited by Cliffworms on Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cliffworms

Re: [MOD] Arena-Style Flavor Text

Post by Cliffworms »

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I just installed this for my LP character (how did I forget this existed?!) and got a bug when I entered Pothago's palace.

I got about 10 messages all in a row once I entered the palace, and you can see the activated tasks in the screenshot. I was worried I was stuck in an endles sloop for awhile there :lol:

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Thank you for reporting this, Jay_H!

It appears I forgot to create a task that merges both rain and thunderstorms.
On the conditions for displaying the message, it was written as :

Code: Select all

when _inside_ and _spring_ and _day_ and _mid_ and _rain_ or _thunder_

So there's the culprit. :lol:
I had tested only with rain and not with thunder before release.

The file has been updated with the fix.

pango

Post by pango »

I love that stuff!

I haven't played Arena in a long time, I almost forgot it had that feature.
And while I understand why it was removed (speed up the game, "show, don't tell",...) even Daggerfall graphic improvements are very far from being able to give the kind of hints a few words can...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Merci, Pango! :D

Arena has so much well-written snips of texts here and there. May it be the town greetings, flavor-text (public and dungeon) or even potion descriptions. It really gives the game a pen and paper feel.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

I have updated the mod with the addition of texts for the Mages Guild. Enjoy! :)
I also added a link to the mod on GitHub for those who prefer to use it.