A New Main Quest BETA

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

A New Main Quest BETA

Post by Jay_H »

I added this to Nexus awhile ago, but that was while I was off the forums.

A New Main Quest!

This is a fairly short quest mod that completely supplants the Daggerfall main quest. It's sort of an alternate reality version, where (1) people are competent and helpful; (2) you're no longer the errand child for three foreign nations; (3) the threat facing the world is real and imminent; (4) you can summarize what happened in a single paragraph.

Lysandus' death takes a backseat to the real danger to the world, immediately revealed as Numidium. With the help of a few court wizards, you're the leading force to discovering how to control Numidium and who'll decide the future of western Tamriel.

This is incompatible with any installation that runs the normal Main Quest. The whole main quest backbone is rewritten, since many variables are completely unnecessary now. It's linear, it's short, it's somewhat challenging, and I hope it'll be more entertaining and comprehensible than the main quest we're used to.

This is a BETA because there are features I would like to add in the future, but the entire game is complete from start to finish. Since it doesn't have a lot of moving parts there isn't very much that can go wrong; I'm fairly confident it has few or no bugs.

If you want to go back from ANMQ to the normal Main Quest, you'll need to revert the changes done to the quests. The easiest way to do that is just to reinstall Daggerfall Unity (upgrading to a new version does precisely that; if you choose, ANMQ can be installed on a different version than you're normally playing on). You can try to rebuild the backbone, _BRISIEN and so forth, but it's really just easier to reinstall.

Ralzar

Re: A New Main Quest BETA

Post by Ralzar »

This looks really cool. I started testing it out but the character I used was a dud so it never got too far. Really liked what I saw so far though.

Also, I gotta ask: what comment of mine helped inspire this? I make too many comments :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Oh, I couldn't possibly find it again. I don't even think it had to do with the main quest, either. It was just a really passing thought on the quest system that I carried much further. Remember that this was like 6 months ago, there's no way I could pick it out based on these criteria :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I am working my way through this slowly, as my character is pretty weak :D

So far I am really liking it. It feels more modern in that it gives you a more substantial and clear cut story to follow.

Only thing so far: I was going to see someone in Wayrest and no NPC had anything to tell about the person. It was first when I started to search the castle that I happened upon the NPC. It would be very handy to either get some "tell me about" text saying who she is and where she usually is.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's a good point. Adding her to the rumor mill would be very simple. I don't know that I can program directions within the castle, but a simple rumor about her saying "she usually stays in X place" would probably be helpful.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It turns out peasants already had rumors to locate Karethys and Charvek-si, but they weren't very precise. I've improved them significantly so you can pretty much pinpoint where they are.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ran into a bug when using Travel Options.

I was traveling along the road to meet Karethys at a shrine. As I get to it, all the text pops up and a "there are enemies nearby" then it does it again.

Maybe you need to change what triggers the event at the shrine so there is time for Travel Options to stop.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, I could add a short delay to the event triggering, of 5 or 10 seconds. I think you had really unlucky timing, but I'm willing to add a buffer there. On the other hand, I have to be cautious not to make the delay too long, lest a player think there's no event at all and then leave. What would you think? 5 seconds?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, I loaded back and tried a couple of times. it happened every time until I interrupted travel options and walked the last bit manually. I suspect the border for the shrine is such that you trigger the quest before travel options stops for the loaction.

Or, you could place the NPC in the shrine? But perhaps the quest system does not allow for that?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, shrines are very fickle and limited locations, and there aren't many good substitutes for them either. A bit of a pain. I'll try adding a small delay but with the way TO accelerates time it might act the same. I really consider myself the lesser partner here, since the quest system doesn't give me many good options to fix this.