[MOD] Ironman Options

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Ironman Options

Post by Ralzar »

Ironman Options
ironmansettings.PNG
ironmansettings.PNG (673.76 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Nexus Download

Since the original Ironman mod has not been usable for quite some time now, I decided to make a new version.

Unlike the original, this mod only changes the save system and does not include any game mechanics changes outside that.

Also unlike the original, this mod contains mod settings that lets you customize your Ironman experience.

Default Settings:
Unable to save manually.
If you quit the game, it gets saved.
If you die, the save gets deleted.

Optional Autosave:
Make a save every 5 minutes to protect against game crash etc. (Will be deleted on death)

Optional Permanent Saves (not deleted on death)
When entering/exiting houses and/or dungeons.
When waking up after rest, in dungeon and/or above ground, fully healed and there is no enemies nearby.
When clicking a fireplace or campfire, in dungeon and/or above ground, while there are no enemies nearby. (Compatible with Climates & Calories)

In practice this means you can customize your experience to be full Ironman while inside a dungeon, but if you die, you can load back to before you entered the dungeon. Or to the last time you set up camp in the dungeon.
Last edited by Ralzar on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Re: Ironman Options

Post by Ralzar »

Having thought a bit about it, I am thinking of doing a slider-option for Dungeon and another for Non-Dungeon.

So you will have:

Dungeon:
(pick one)
Ironman
Save on Enter/Exit Dungeon
Save on Full Rest
Save when clicking a camp or fire.
Save when using Save Item

Non-Dungeon:
(pick one)
Ironman
Save on Enter/Exit Settlement
Save on Full Rest
Save when clicking a camp or fire.
Save when using Save Item

Ironman saves will be made with a save called "Ironman" while all other saves will use "Quicksave".
If you ever use the "Quickload" function, the Ironman save is deleted.

Ralzar

Re: Ironman Options

Post by Ralzar »

The basic Ironman mechanic seems to be finished and working correctly.

I will probably hold off on the Saving Item mechanic for now. Will need a bit of thinking and work to get that working correctly.

Mod settings are up and running, although they do not currently do anything for the mod.
ironmansettings.PNG
ironmansettings.PNG (74.72 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

I also have to add some code to make sure the mod does not run while using Travel Options to fast travel. Or the mod will spam saves while time is sped up.

Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Ironman Options

Post by Ralzar »

Mod launched.

v1.0.0 available on Nexus now.

Good luck and may someone have mercy on your characters soul.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

A total game changer, if you ask me and probably the definitive way to play DFU!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Minor bugfix.

Turned out that the "Enter/Exit dungeon" save function created a save at character creation that would just drop you into the void if you tried loading it.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

I think I found an issue with this, here are my mod settings:

Daggerfall Unity 13-Aug-21 8_08_44 PM.png
Daggerfall Unity 13-Aug-21 8_08_44 PM.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1824 times

I'm playing on DFU 12.1, with the latest version of Ironman Options.

With these Ironman settings, when in game if you press Esc then Esc again (just open and close the pause menu), this seems to be saving the game. So this acts as a quick save.

Also if you use these settings in conjunction with Climate and Calories, when you use your camping equipment you can save at the bonfire you just spawned, but you no longer get the option to Rest / Pick Up, so you essentially lose your camping equipment. (Also the tent doesn't seem to spawn any more, just the fire)

Should this not give you the option to rest at all fires like before and also save, rather than just saving?

I removed all other mods when testing this, the issues still occur.

Thanks

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, I’ll have to take a look at that. The ESC behaviour should only act like that when using default Ironman behaviour. I simply forgot to account for the other options.

The C&C bug I am a bit surprised about. Looks like I have misunderstood how registering methods to an activation works. From what you describe it seems to override the last registration. I might have to do a patch to both C&C and Ironman Options to make this work.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

After having looked at this and done some testing I think ESC is working as intended. Because the intended behaviour is that if you exit the game, you can load back to exactly where you were. The only way to load BACK to an earlier point is if you have used one of the other save options.
As far as I can think of, there is no way to exploit the ESC save. It simply makes it so you do not lose progress when you quit the game. It does get deleted if you die though.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:47 am After having looked at this and done some testing I think ESC is working as intended. Because the intended behaviour is that if you exit the game, you can load back to exactly where you were.
Ok, was just a bit confused seeing it save the game on pause when I'd selected to only save at fires.

Also not sure if this is intentional or not but if you choose the 'Fully Healed Rest' option, loitering counts as resting, so will save a permanent save after loitering, just FYI.

Tested this in a tavern and loitered for an hour, waited a few seconds after finishing loitering, and the permanent save had been overwritten.