[MOD] Lively Cities

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Cliffworms

[MOD] Lively Cities

Post by Cliffworms »

Lively Cities

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus

Download on GitHub (Loose files)

Lively Cities adds static NPCs on the streets of Daggerfall's cities and smaller settlements. You may stumble upon beggars, tavern patrons, prostitutes, priests, commoners, children, minstrels and acrobats the next time you're in town.

These NPCs can be interacted with and some are guild members who will recognize you if you are a fellow guildmate. They cannot give quests or be involved in quests. NPCs have schedules and some will appear during the day, while others will be there at night. Rain and thunderstorms will also disable several of them.

In addition, because I used buildings' exteriors to place NPCs, I added quest markers to 46 houses that had none. This means that there are 46 new quest locations that can be used for quests. I also fixed floating lights and aligned furniture with the walls for every building I used. You may thus see less visual oddities inside the houses I edited.

Using Carademono's Animated People is highly recommended, as it brings all NPCs to life with new animations.

Note that, for the moment, desert towns are not fully covered because of the lack of Redguard NPCs. Should the modding community create those, I'll gladly populate these locations.

Some more screenshots :

Last edited by Cliffworms on Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Shapur

Re: [WIP] Lively Towns

Post by Shapur »

Good stuff
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

This is a very great idea to enhance the world of Daggerfall even further!
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lovely!

risk

Post by risk »

this adds to the immersion even further!

any way to have some of these outdoor characters give random quests or short dialogue options (like those tavern game type interactions)?

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Thanks for the kind words. :)
risk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:49 pm this adds to the immersion even further!

any way to have some of these outdoor characters give random quests or short dialogue options (like those tavern game type interactions)?
No, they will not give quests because quests have been written with NPCs inside buildings in mind. Trying to locate a quest giver on city streets to turn the quest in would be a bit of nightmare. In addition, any quest text mentioning the quest giver's building would show errors.

They initiate the standard talk window though.

risk

Post by risk »

oh that makes sense! thank you

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

What happens with the NPCs at night, when everybody goes to their houses?
In Julianos we Trust.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The NPCs remain outdoors. Good if you're looking for directions! Unfortunately the technical capability isn't there (yet) to hide these NPCs at night-time, but they're working on it.

Some NPCs in Arena also stay outdoors at night, so there's some continuity there!

carademono

Post by carademono »

This is the mod in progress I'm most excited about... well, along with all of your other projects, Cliff!