[MOD] Bestiary

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Shapur

Re: [MOD] Bestiary

Post by Shapur »

Next update is almost here with everything on the wishlist and some code despaghettification.
King of Worms wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:01 pm Ok my browser crashed when I finished this bug report, one more try :evil:

Missing frames:
Front facing animations of Scorpion, Spider, Seducer, Dreugh, Lamia, Zombie are missing some frames

Added rotations:
I know they cause performance issue (can that be solved?) but they also cause visual bugs, where these added frames look very dark.
Spoiler!
DaggerfallUnity 2021-10-11 13-37-20.jpg
Dragonling - this mob has duplicate archives in DFU. Its in archive 295 and 289. DFU uses 289 ingame, so DREAM uses the same. Your mod uses 295. This causes the mob to render in low res when using DREAM. Changing the archive from 295 to 289 in your mod will solve this bug.

Scorpion front facing frame has performance issues and looks dark. This whole mob is switched. In other mobs, when I rotate the mob right, I get the perf issues and dark frames. Scorpion has these problems when rotated to the LEFT and viewed from FRONT. View from back has no issues, while other mobs have issues when using this view.

If these bugs could be solved, it would make the DREAM compatibility much better.

FRONT FACING ATTACK ANIMATIONS:

Wereboar and werewolf - when turned on, the mob disappers in some frames.
Nymph, Orc, mummy, skeleton, fish - missing some frames

I think there might be more missing frames around, you should check that, its re-occurring bug. Also check other than front facing attack animations. Just a suggestion tho. But the mod needs a bit more polish.

If I can help with something, pls let me know.
Thanks for the report.
I appreciate it when people actually bother to report when something is broken. (I'm not guiltless in this)

Dragonling: Easy fix, done.

Scorpion: Yep, the sprite is facing the other way than all the other sprites in game date, because why not. I'll do what I can.

Added rotations:
  • Performance: I'm afraid I can't do much about this one. The textures are not readable, therefore I can't flip them. I found a thing that works as a workaround, but comes with a performance impact. (It could be fixed by making all monster sprites readable through the Unity editor, but that would inflate RAM usage way too much)
  • Dark thingy: This one will require more investigation. It doesn't seem to happen for me (DFU 12.3). I will take a look at it later.
Everything else: It's a reoccurring bug. Atm I just yolo and assume every (sprite) record has 4? animation frames (except for a few hardcoded exceptions). I will look for a way to count how many animation frames a record has, to properrely fix this.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

You are welcomed, I like this mod so reporting bugs is no problem (if my browser does not crash in the middle)
Also, I tested in on DFU 0.13 and 0.13.1 so the darker frames MIGHT be caused by that, not sure.

Yes, various mobs have different number of frames to do same actions. Ive dealt with this fact in the past, where I had to write 20 scripts for upscaling instead of 1. Total number of frame for a mob can vary from 40 to 100, yay. Also, if 2 mobs have for example 59 frame, it does NOT mean the frames are the same. One can have 1 additional frame for attack, the other 1 additional for movement and it still amounts to 59.

Thing which helps to navigate this mess is realizing the logic within the naming of frames:
example ORK 262

262_0/1/2/3/4 - Walk in all directions

262_5/6/7/8/9 - Attack in all directions

262_10/11/12/13/14 - Hit frames in all directions

262_15/16/17/18/19 - Static pose in all directions

Its like this in most of the cases, but there are exceptions.

Werewolf, wereboar do not have static poses. Flying mobs have more animation frames. Orc shaman has 2 attack modes. Yada yada. Its easier to go mob by mob and check the frames.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Missing frames have been fixed (through code, no hardcoding needed anymore)
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Version 1.3 released
  • Added "Bestiary" item, that spawns in the world
  • Added options setting to only unlock the Bestiary after finding the "Bestiary" item
  • Added options setting to only display entries of beasts already slain
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Version 1.4 Released
  • Added more customization options
  • Added language skill required for pacification
  • Improved text formatting
  • Reworked a part of the internal, hopefully increasing stability
  • Fixed a bunch of bugs
Link to my github here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice to see the updates :)
I think having the Dream patch as a part of your mod is a way to go, lets keep it that way.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Yep, sounds like a good idea.

(Btw this hasn't been fixed yet, sadly)
King of Worms wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:01 pm Added rotations:
I know they cause performance issue (can that be solved?) but they also cause visual bugs, where these added frames look very dark.
Spoiler!
DaggerfallUnity 2021-10-11 13-37-20.jpg
Link to my github here.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

I know it might involve a bit of work and re-ordering in the user interface, but could you update the Bestiary for Daggerfall Enemy Expansion?

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Version 1.5 Released (made by Jagget)
  • All credit goes to Jagget. He did all the work.
  • Uplifted interface
  • Added ACTIVE state to buttons
  • Smashed some bugs
  • PR
Link to my github here.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Yesssss! :D
Daggerfall Russian Translation