[MOD] Skill Books

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Skill Books

Post by Ralzar »

Having played with my modlist I am noticing that I am getting kind of fed up with the game-y grinding you often wind up doing to train before sleeping. Like talking to a bunch of NPCs to train Streetwise or Ettiquette, Jumping in doors to train jumping etc.

Also, training language skills is next to impossible unless you get lucky with dungeon spawns or you pay for training at a guild. And even then you can only train up to 50%.

Skill Books

The mod adds books to the game for training skills.

Reading a book takes an hour, costs Fatigue and trains one or more skill.

Your Intelligence dictates if you can read the book and how much training you receive from it.

If the skill is Primary, Major, Minor or Misc dictates how high a book can train it.

Basic Books
Minimum 20 Intelligence to read
Primary: 70% max training
Major: 60% max training
Minor: 50% max training
Misc: 40% max training

Advanced Books
Minimum 50 Intelligence to read
Minimum 50% in the skill to train it.
Primary: 90% max training
Major: 80% max training
Minor: 70% max training
Misc: 60% max training

Magic Tomes
Minimum 50 Intelligence
Same skill requirements as Basic Books
Picks 3 random magic skills to train each time you use them.

Magic Tablet
Minimum 70 Intelligence
Same skill requirements as Advanced Books
Picks 3 random magic skills to train each time you use it.

Basic Books Titles:
"The Squires Martial Techniques"
"The Uncouth Combat Primer"
"The Hunters Handbook"
"A Squires Guide To Physical Improvement"
"Anatomy of the Tamriel Races"
"Good Manners in Polite Society"
"The Vernacular of the Lower Classes"
"Haggling: A travelers guide to the Sentinel markets"
"Languages of the Woodland Creatures vol 1"
"Languages Of The Mountain Races vol 1"
"The Guttural Sounds of the Pig Children"
"Infernal Tongues vol 1"
"Secure Vaults: The History of Locksmithing"

Advanced Book Titles:
"The Knights Martial Techniques"
"The Crouching Fist and the Hidden Blade"
"The Art Of The Hunt"
"The Anatomy of the Athlete"
"Physicians Lexicon"
"A Treatise on the Mannerisms of the Courts of the Illiac Bay"
"Diary of a Footpad"
"The Theory of Supply and Demand"
"Languages of the Woodland Creatures vol 2"
"Languages Of The Mountain Races vol 2"
"Dining in Orsinium : Common Orcish Phrasebook"
"Infernal Tongues vol 2"
"The Locksmiths Index of Lock Variations"

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by Ralzar on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Macadaynu

Re: [WIP] Skill Books

Post by Macadaynu »

Cool, with regard to the magic spamming, I have thought about a mod that would restrict how you gain spell XP. So destruction spells would only give you XP if you actually hit something, and restoration spells only give you XP if you actually heal something. Cure Poison only gives you XP if you actually cure a poison etc... (maybe some spells already work like this but I know it doesn't for destruction spells)

Not sure if that kind of thing fits in with this mod? The idea is there anyway

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Macadaynu wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 am Cool, with regard to the magic spamming, I have thought about a mod that would restrict how you gain spell XP. So destruction spells would only give you XP if you actually hit something, and restoration spells only give you XP if you actually heal something. Cure Poison only gives you XP if you actually cure a poison etc... (maybe some spells already work like this but I know it doesn't for destruction spells)

Not sure if that kind of thing fits in with this mod? The idea is there anyway
That would probably fit in pretty well with this mod. As it would mean that you would have to study magic (my mod) or actively use it in a practical situation (your mod) to improve.
The other angle to take on that idea, that I know has been discussed before, is make magic training be based on spell cost. So a cheap spell stops giving training after a certain skill level, while a huge costly spell that burns most of your magica gives a substantial amount of training.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

These books sound like they'd be a very nifty reward while dungeon running, and you can allocate some quiet time to read the books in peace after it.
Any plans to have the books be readable like in the other games?

Magic could be sectioned off into a few different groupings to keep the number of books relatively low, but make more sense than a singular 6 magical school tome when other skills are bundled up by theme.
Spoiler!
Alteration/Thaumaturgy/Illusion - 'Magical support Tractate'.
Mysticism/Destruction - 'Treatise on combat magic'
Restoration - (bundled with Anatomy of the Tamriel Races?)

or maybe this might make more sense.

Alteration/Restoration - 'Commentary on Magic and Medicine'
Thaumaturgy/Illusion - ' Tricksters guide to Magical Tomfoolery'
Destruction/Mysticism -' Treatise on Combat Magic'

Or to keep it just as two books.

Restoration/Alteration/Mysticism - 'Higher Magic of the Illiac Bay'
Destruction/Illusion/Thaumaturgy 'Nightblade's Handbook'
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Ninelan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:27 pm These books sound like they'd be a very nifty reward while dungeon running, and you can allocate some quiet time to read the books in peace after it.
And stick them in book stores and/or libraries to give those buildings an actual use.

As for those two options, Ralzar, I personally prefer INT as it’d give a reason for warriors to have it, but I see the benefit of the other way. Maybe an option if that’s possible?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

ACNAero wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:22 pm
Ninelan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:27 pm These books sound like they'd be a very nifty reward while dungeon running, and you can allocate some quiet time to read the books in peace after it.
And stick them in book stores and/or libraries to give those buildings an actual use.

As for those two options, Ralzar, I personally prefer INT as it’d give a reason for warriors to have it, but I see the benefit of the other way. Maybe an option if that’s possible?
I just tested it out a bit and the mechanic I've ended up on is primary/major/minro/misc setting the limit to how far books can help you. But you need at least 20 INT to even be able to read a book and without high INT you will have to read a book a bunch of times to skill up once unless it's a starting skill.
As an example, I had a lvl 1 character with 70 INT, Axe and Blade as primary and blunt as misc.
Each time I read the book Blunt went up after rest.
Long Blade and Axe (which were in the 30s) needed around 5 readings before they increased.

This mechanic will probably need some tweaking though as I play with it myself and get feedback from others.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Hello Ralzar, thank you very much for this idea, I think this is definitely something needed in DFU!

Just few questions/suggestion for potential further developments, in case you like them and would like to keep them into account.

1. Have you considered also adding a book for Lockpicking/Pickpocket? Maybe a kind of "rare" book which can be found in some black market (e.g. sold by the Thieves Guild or that can be randomly found)?

2. A potential development could be to create more books for the same topic, with different levels of mastery (e.g. a book for beginner level, one for intermediate and one for advanced). Different level would require different Intelligence to be used but also will provide different amount of skill increase (obiouvsly, beginner level would require less intelligence but also will provide the lesser increase)

3. Maybe add some Author's names to the books, just to give them a bit more of "flavor" :)

Hope this makes sense!

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

andromacus wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:26 am Hello Ralzar, thank you very much for this idea, I think this is definitely something needed in DFU!

Just few questions/suggestion for potential further developments, in case you like them and would like to keep them into account.

1. Have you considered also adding a book for Lockpicking/Pickpocket? Maybe a kind of "rare" book which can be found in some black market (e.g. sold by the Thieves Guild or that can be randomly found)?

2. A potential development could be to create more books for the same topic, with different levels of mastery (e.g. a book for beginner level, one for intermediate and one for advanced). Different level would require different Intelligence to be used but also will provide different amount of skill increase (obiouvsly, beginner level would require less intelligence but also will provide the lesser increase)

3. Maybe add some Author's names to the books, just to give them a bit more of "flavor" :)

Hope this makes sense!
great idea, maybe as you grow as a character the skill ups from books would require other skills or attributes to have an effect in an effort to reproduce the complexity of life and its progression.

When you read a book as an old or learned man you consider so much more, statements and correlations have deeper impact. Certain intricacies are missed by those less experienced.

High intelligence means you can understand that swordsmanship book, but as you grow (agility increases, blade skill increases, crit skill increases) you are more aware of what is and isnt possible in life so you gain more from the words.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I ended up basically making it over again with some versions of your suggestions.

v1.0 launched.

andromacus

Re: [MOD] Skill Books

Post by andromacus »

Amazing, thanks a lot Ralzar!

Cannot wait to relax in a tavern room after a full day of quests reading my copy of "Good Manners in Polite Society" :D

Well done!