Pixelated Grass for Real Grass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
haloterm

Pixelated Grass for Real Grass

Post by haloterm »

1. What is this mod?

These are replacement textures for TheLacus' Real Grass mod. The original Real Grass mod adds grass throughout the Iliac Bay. It fits best if using Daggerfall in HD resolutions and together with HD graphics like D.R.E.A.M package, but feels out of place when not using HD textures or in retro rendering.

Therefore, I modifed the textures. I have pixelated them and reduced their color depth to 256 colors This gives a much more consistent look when not using HD textures or when using retro rendering.

If you use HD textures, you don't need these replacements.

Download:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/252/

2. Permission

The original Real Grass textures have been created by Uncanny_Valley and VMBlast. I just changed them in GIMP to a pixel look. The Real Grass mod's original readme forbids to modify or share the textures without their creator's permission. Therefore, I have asked both creators for permission (in the Daggerfall Unity forum with personal messages). Thankfully, they gave their okay:

Uncanny_Valley's permission (December 3rd 2021):
"Yeah, you can go ahead and share it. No problem. Really like your pixel grass. It looks great!"

VMBlast's permission (message sent to me on November 16th 2021):
"Sry for my late reply, Im quite busy and rarely checking DFU anymore. Yeah go ahead and use my textures as you see fit. Good work on the pixel art variant btw."

3. Installation

To install the textures, copy the two included folders into your

"DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets"

folder. Merge with existing folders. This will install textures into the Textures subfolder and two settings presets for Real Grass into the Presets subfolder.

After installation, go to the Real Grass mod settings in Daggerfall Unity. There, in the "Advanced" section, make sure that the checkbox "texture override" is ticked, otherwise the mod won't load the textures.

While you are at it, you can also select a preset in your Real Grass mod setting. There is one preset with a lower amount of grass and one with a higher amount of grass. Use the one you like most and feel free to make changes to the settings. The presets are just my personal preferences,
shared for convenience.

(I also suggest to increase the range of grass textures to 500, but that may depend on your computer power, so I did not include that in the presets.)

4. Un-Installation

To remove, delete the folders

"DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures\Grass"

and

"DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Presets\realgrass"
Last edited by haloterm on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 am, edited 8 times in total.

carademono

Re: Pixelated Grass for Real Grass

Post by carademono »

Outstanding mod idea!

carademono

Post by carademono »

You might want to clarify that you have to check the Texture Override box on p. 2 of the Real Grass settings for this to work.

Beyond that, I want to report back that this is insanely gorgeous and all the vanilla players should immediately download it!

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

carademono wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 pm You might want to clarify that you have to check the Texture Override box on p. 2 of the Real Grass settings for this to work.
Oh, that is a good remark, I will add it now. Thanks!

And glad you like it; it was really just a few clicks in GIMP and all the credits for the original textures go to VMBlast.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I moved the topic to Released Mods and added a link on the mod page, but If you decide to upload it to Nexus you can also make it appear directly under Requirements if you want. I have been making some cleanup and minor improvements in the latest versions and i aim to release a final revision (at least from me) to go with Daggerfall Unity 1.0. You might need to check for changes when that happens.

PS: Just wanted to point out that GreenGrass and BrownGrass are from the original version by Uncanny_Valley.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

TheLacus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:27 pm I moved the topic to Released Mods and added a link on the mod page, but If you decide to upload it to Nexus you can also make it appear directly under Requirements if you want. I have been making some cleanup and minor improvements in the latest versions and i aim to release a final revision (at least from me) to go with Daggerfall Unity 1.0. You might need to check for changes when that happens.
Thanks for moving the topic.

I will keep a look at your repository, from where I took the textures. Do you plan changes to the textures? As long as these continue to be simple image files, it will be no problem to adjust my replacements.
PS: Just wanted to point out that GreenGrass and BrownGrass are from the original version by Uncanny_Valley.
Oh. I thought it was just VMblast. I will ask Uncanny_Valley if he is also okay with me sharing my changes.

(I removed the download for now, until Uncanny_Valley answers me and allows me to share the 2 modified textures.)

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

This is such a great wee mod. I'm not a huge fan of mixing art styles (ie/ high res and low res) but I'm a sucker for the Real Grass mod. This makes it all the more immersive for me. Thanks for sharing. :)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah just wanted to say, the pixelated foliage blends in perfect with the original nature sprites, nice work.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Thanks, all. Once I get Uncanny's hopefully positive answer about his 2 textures, I will make the download available again (in the case I don't get permission, I will try to create two own, but similar-in-style textures to replace his).

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

what kind of performance impact does this mod have?