Pixelated Grass for Real Grass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
haloterm

Re: Pixelated Grass for Real Grass

Post by haloterm »

Regnier wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 am what kind of performance impact does this mod have?
The same as Real Grass itself. My mod has just texture replacements, you need Real Grass. Performance depends mainly on grass draw distance. I use 500, it is not noticable.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Thanks to the permissions of both original texture creators VMBlast and Uncanny_Valley, I have now made the download available again. It put it on Nexus Mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/252/

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Congratulations and well done. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

haloterm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 pm Do you plan changes to the textures? As long as these continue to be simple image files, it will be no problem to adjust my replacements.
I don't think i'll add any new textures, but i don't have specific plans at the moment.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Quick note: right now this mod is using pixelated but high definition textures, which is very performance-intensive. If you were to resize the textures to 1/8 the size, they'd look exactly the same, and you would get a huge performance boost. This might require a minor modification to the Real Grass mod itself.

I think this would be really valuable as many people who use retro textures do so on older computers. Even those on gaming computers should see significant performance improvements.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

carademono wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:51 pm Quick note: right now this mod is using pixelated but high definition textures, which is very performance-intensive. If you were to resize the textures to 1/8 the size, they'd look exactly the same
Not exactly, I think. I would need to scale down the original textures and they would lose detail by that, so when pixelating them, the result would be also less detailed.
This might require a minor modification to the Real Grass mod itself.
That would be TheLacus' task.

Even better: If a "pixel" mode would be added into the mod itself, removing the need for replacement textures at all. :) Maybe that could be done by a filter/shader/whatever? I have no idea.

carademono

Post by carademono »

haloterm wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 pm
Not exactly, I think. I would need to scale down the original textures and they would lose detail by that, so when pixelating them, the result would be also less detailed.
I don't quite understand what you mean. Here's a scaled down version of one of your grasses. It looks exactly the same when you zoom in:

The only difference is that it will increase players' fps by 15.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

carademono wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 pm I don't quite understand what you mean. Here's a scaled down version of one of your grasses. It looks exactly the same when you zoom in:
Okay, I see now what you mean (compared in GIMP).

And does this work in the Real Grass mod already?

carademono

Post by carademono »

[/quote]

And does this work in the Real Grass mod already?
[/quote]

Just rescaled the textures and threw them in. The size looks good but for some reason they're being filtered. I'm not versed enough in how Real Grass works to know why, but my guess is they need to be imported using sprite/point filter and included in the dfmod.

I should add, there did appear to be a considerable performance boost.
Attachments
Grass.zip
(176.5 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

carademono wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:45 pm The size looks good but for some reason they're being filtered. I'm not versed enough in how Real Grass works to know why,
Most likely you did not set the settings correctly for the image file in Unity. With the default settings all textures become blurry.