[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: [MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10) - UPDATE Oct 2020

Post by Interkarma »

For torch shining through wall - linear tends to be brighter, especially at the edges of light radius. For any custom Lights on replacement prefabs, adjusting down the brightness and radius will make it less likely to appear on other side of walls.

For bright city walls - it's likely because one of the non-colour maps (e.g. metallic) isn't importing as linear. Double check import settings to confirm that sRGB box is unticked for non-colour maps.

Hey KoW, is that shot from your DREAM update in progress? Looking good man!

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10) - UPDATE Oct 2020

Post by King of Worms »

I think the torch brightness/distance etc is the same with 3d models enabled/disable because I use "interior lights" mod to set up these parametres so they stay the same in the comparison shots.

Yes its from linear shaders but these sewers are work in progress and kind of my nightmare 😉

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Bug no.2

This torch does not shine. When I disable your mod, it shines properly
SAVE184.rar
(224.57 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (197.61 KiB) Viewed 3896 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Bug no.3

Came across these lights more times. They have this aggressive very strong bright light. Strange thing is, enabling or disabling "improved interior lighting" does not change the light properties for this specific light. Something is wrong with this one, no idea what is causing it, but its a exception.
SAVE359.rar
(354.11 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
DaggerfallUnity 2021-10-25 22-14-06.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2021-10-25 22-14-06.jpg (868.08 KiB) Viewed 3815 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I took a look at this spot in editor. There's a couple of things happening here:
  • There are two replacement models with their own light sources in screenshot, both with a range of 18 and intensity of 1. Normally at this spot there's a single light source placed in between them with a range of 6 and intensity of 0.8. Mod adds two additional, brighter light sources.
  • There's another light source just behind and left of player not visible in screenshot. Normally this is a single light with range 4 intensity 0.8. Mod adds another light source with range 15 and intensity 1 in addition to the default dungeon light.
Short version: there are 2x light sources near player in unmodded game. Replacement models add another 3x larger additional light source for a total of 5x total light sources. That all adds up making the area very bright compared to base game.

Extra notes for AlexanderSig:

Those torch models prefabs have a very high radius/range - keeping in mind that under linear the falloff is different and edges of lights will be brighter compared to gamma. Lowering the range and intensity of light sources in prefabs will help with oversaturation and shining through walls.

And because replacement models are adding new light sources in addition to default dungeon light sources, any lit areas will always end up brighter than in base game. Worth keeping that in mind when retuning prefabs with light sources attached.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks Interkarma,

while I agree with your assessment that there are additional lights in the modded scene, this is - to my best knowledge - not the reason why this scene looks like this. Thats because when I met this specific light in other areas where there was only 1 light source, it had the same issues.

Other strange thing about this one is, that if I use Interior Lights mod, it has zero effect on this specific light.

Ad the "shining through walls" - again to my best knowledge - Im 100% certain its not caused by the light radius, eventho it might appear to be the case. When I stand in a room, I can see the light on the other side of the room wall. Thats a distance of wall width. I think this issue will be dealt with after a rebuild of a mod

Have a look, 1st screen is with Handpainted mod enabled, there is a torch on the other side of the wall exactly where the crosshair is pointing, and u can see the light bleeding thru the wall in form of reflections on the surface. Notice, that if u look thru the door, u can see the light there in the hallway.
01.jpg
01.jpg (413.84 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
Now, I disable the Handpainted mod, the reflections are 100% gone, and if u look thru the door to the hallway, you can see the light there is the same. So there is no difference in radius which is causing this, is something else. Btw I keep the radius and color of the light the same, using Interrior light mod. I made tripple sure its not THAT mod which is causing it.

Just open both images and click from one to another and u will see the difference is just the reflections.
02.jpg
02.jpg (376.52 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

The ceiling lights really do like to levitate in the middle of the air. If you could somehow use the script which places the torches on the walls to place the hanging lights on the ceiling, it would be great. Only thing Im a bit afraid of is that it might change the look of the game, if it places lights much higher :X

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This mod needs a rebuild :)
I believe most of the issues will get solved by that. Maybe some materials need tweaking, and the halos... Its almost appears like the objects do not change according to the light around. Something is off, but setting one thing differently can solve these I believe (same as it was in a DREAM in case of Roughness textures etc)
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (128.53 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
2.png
2.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3500 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (553.37 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Another example of a bugged (extremely bright) light - possibly proving the prior example was not caused by multiple light sources in a scene.
SAVE495.rar
(417.52 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (379.9 KiB) Viewed 3403 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey KoW! :) I wasn't guessing earlier, you can see these additional light sources and their properties in scene view.

I'll break it down below. This will be helpful for AlexanderSig to address problems you're raising.

Here's that save in unmodded game. I've selected default light added by dungeon layout data so we can see its properties. Note that light source isn't actually connected to the lantern - this how lights in dungeons work. These objects don't have a light source attached, the light source is a free-floating object in scene. When you see two or more light objects grouped together in a dungeon, they typically all share a single, independent light source placed nearby.

default-light.jpg
default-light.jpg (417.8 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

Now with mod installed, every light object prefab also has a light source attached. Note there are now two "lightbulb" gizmos in view. Each of these represent a light source. The first is added by DFU from dungeon layout data and the second is added by mod on its prefab.

extra-prefab-light.jpg
extra-prefab-light.jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

Light added by mod is selected in second screenshot - note its properties and how big and bright it is compared with default light. It has a range of 18 compared to the default range of 2.6. Incidentally, this is also why these extra lights also have a tendency to shine through walls. They're really huge - this one is almost 7x the range of default light.

In KoW's earlier screenshot at the Mantella, there are several light prefabs, and each one has another huge light source contributing to scene.

That's the most glaring (excuse the pun) problem here. You're also correct KoW - mod absolutely needs to tune materials and rebuild. But these lights on prefabs are most responsible for all the extra brightness and shining through walls. They need to have less range and intensity to start with.

It would also help to attach a logic component to these prefabs so their light emitter is disabled when placed inside dungeons. Otherwise they'll always be adding to default dungeon lights as above, and any grouping of lights will become exceptionally bright like at the Mantella.

I'm happy to help with a script to disable lights on prefabs in dungeons. AlexanderSig, just hit me up in PM if you need any help from me. :)