[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Arl

Re: Handpainted model replacement project

Post by Arl »

You seem to be a prolific modeler already, but 190 models with that level of detail seems like quite an endeavor, I eagerly wish you good luck with that goal.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Decided to make the tall cage different from the original design just to get some variety in, the cages don't all have to look the same.

Progress is going to start slowing down now since I am starting my 3rd year of medical school.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I love the new cages. Great work. :)

Arl

Post by Arl »

The individual cage looks great!
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

AlexanderSig wrote:@Jay_H

Thank you! Yes, the large wardrobes are definitely on my list for a rework along with the park benches.

Wine shelf
Hey Alexander,

This is some very fine modeling work. However, you may be trying a bit too hard to correct what you see as flaws in the original. The barrels illustrated would be oak staved barrels. These barrels would be fabricated by a cooper. The cooper would assemble each barrel from a selection of oak staves. The staves are fat in the middle and tapered on either end. On the inside about an inch from each end is a groove that accepts the barrel ends. One barrel end (the head) would have a small plug that would be driven back inside the barrel when the barrel was tapped. Typically taps would be made of wood and would be installed with a sharp 'tap' with a mallet. Taps were tapered to allow them to be securely wedged into the tap hole. The barrel itself was filled through the bunghole cut into one of the staves. This bunghole would sit at the top of the cask (a barrel used for fermenting beverages) at the bilge (the widest part of the barrel) opposite the tap hole in the head near the bottom front. In modern times barrels will typically have several hoops. However, in historic times each hoop would have needed to be hand forged at significant expense. An inexpensive barrel may have only had two hoops at the 1/3 points along its length.

In reference to the pictured 3D models, the hoops might very well have only been a pair. However, had there been four, the end hoops would have been driven back somewhat (to tighten them against the cask ends) and in no case would there be metal on the end of the cask. The tap would have, in all likelihood, been made of wood.

The bottles pictured would very likely not have been squared. Bottles of that era would have been hand blown, thick, and intended to be used again and again. The glass would be likely colored to hide the fact that is was very difficult to get clean, clear glass.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

jayhova wrote:
AlexanderSig wrote:@Jay_H

Thank you! Yes, the large wardrobes are definitely on my list for a rework along with the park benches.
[/img]
Hey Alexander,
Thank you for the detailed feedback. Will consider implementing some of your proposed changes during my 2nd pass at the models :)

In the meantime I would greatly appreciate if you, or anyone, could tell me what this is.

It's like a slanted box found in some houses, about knee-height. It gets flat towards the edge at the top which almost doubles the tri count of the model so it must have been important for Bethesda to include. Does anyone have a name for this or know what this is used for?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Would it be a foot stool / ottoman?

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:Would it be a foot stool / ottoman?
It doesn't look high enough for a lectern, at least.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Perhaps a tool chest? or foot locker? Who knows. Is there a picture of it in use?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I think it is indeed a lectern/writing console