[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AlexanderSig

[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

Post by AlexanderSig »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATEST PLAYABLE RELEASE DOWNLOAD:
- Download links on NexusMods page.
v2.10 - 18. october 2020
420 models included
Built for Daggerfall Unity v0.10.26

I have also made 113 textures for walls, floors and ceilings in the exact same style as the models (view/download here). Most of these textures are included in KoW's Daggerfall Remastered mod: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1168

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of models replaced: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The goal of this project is to replace all models in Daggerfall (excluding architectural models) with efficient high quality models with handpainted textures. All of the original detail from older models/textures is preserved where possible usually with some creative license taken afterwards to make them look good.

Some of the older models are extremely low-poly with little or no distinctive texture work so it's very hard to make them both look good and true to the original but I always try my best to preserve as much of the model as I can for example: http://i.imgur.com/43MGqiq.png

COMPARISON: https://imgur.com/a/vcd9tLI?

Video reviews (v0.75)

Additional direct contributors
  • VMBlast: Orb lamp, all buildings, several other base textures
  • AudunnSig: conversion work on sign textures
Open source backup of this mod (v2.00): https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yt1WL ... sp=sharing. This is the asset folder that goes into the DFU project folder.

If you have any experience with either texturing or modelling and want to contribute to the project please send me a PM or comment on this topic.
Last edited by AlexanderSig on Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 42 times in total.

AlexanderSig

Re: Handpainted model replacement project

Post by AlexanderSig »

NOTE: some of the models have not been tested ingame. Models frequently end up with weird rotations and missing collisions. I would really appreciate bug reports in PM or in the comments here. Please include a picture of the bug.

Bug reports for v1.22
Planned changes
  1. Redesign park bench
  2. Add cobwebs to coffins
  3. Replace placeholder skeletons with corpses for a few coffin models.
Last edited by AlexanderSig on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Cool; looks good. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

First of all my compliments, great work!
AlexanderSig wrote:Models frequently end up with weird rotations.
sprite->model has random rotation, are you talking about model->model? Probably bad placement inside the prefab, check that you don't have a rotation in Transform (in the inspector). You may have something like y: -180 due to the different in up-axis but should not have other strange numbers.
missing collisions
Can you confirm you're checking Generate Colliders in the inspector for these models? You can also manually assign one if you have particular needs for a model.
I would really appreciate bug reports in PM or in the comments here
Light is not working correctly in both fireplace models
fire.png
fire.png (607.46 KiB) Viewed 84818 times
I'm not really fond of the lighting here
bed.png
bed.png (564.85 KiB) Viewed 84818 times
There are two mods in archive, daggerfall model replacements.dfmod and handpainted model replacements.dfmod, do they contain different models?

Also can i suggest you to use the same names as vanilla textures when you're doing a 1:1 replacement? This way, for example, VMblast taver sign would work on both vanilla model and any imported model which uses the same texture. I think it can be a nice addition to allow texture packs to be installed on top of whatever models are present in a user game.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Thank you for the response!
TheLacus wrote:First of all my compliments, great work!
AlexanderSig wrote:Models frequently end up with weird rotations.
sprite->model has random rotation, are you talking about model->model? Probably bad placement inside the prefab, check that you don't have a rotation in Transform (in the inspector). You may have something like y: -180 due to the different in up-axis but should not have other strange numbers.
Yeah I'm only doing model -> model with this project, no flats (except the streetlamp). I didn't know the rotation in the Unity inspector mattered, thank you! Should save me some headache.
TheLacus wrote:
missing collisions
Can you confirm you're checking Generate Colliders in the inspector for these models? You can also manually assign one if you have particular needs for a model.
I am using that, it's just that I rarely end up placing the model in the inspector before I tick the generate collision box and then it won't work ingame. I just have to re-drag the model into the inspector and replace the old prefab. Easy fix but I don't know which (if any) of the models have missing collisions.
TheLacus wrote:
I would really appreciate bug reports in PM or in the comments here
Light is not working correctly in both fireplace models

I'm not really fond of the lighting here
Thank you, added to the list. Will fix in next version.
TheLacus wrote:
There are two mods in archive, daggerfall model replacements.dfmod and handpainted model replacements.dfmod, do they contain different models?
Oops. Looks like I packaged the older version with my old name in with the new one. I have fixed the download link now.
TheLacus wrote:
Also can i suggest you to use the same names as vanilla textures when you're doing a 1:1 replacement? This way, for example, VMblast taver sign would work on both vanilla model and any imported model which uses the same texture. I think it can be a nice addition to allow texture packs to be installed on top of whatever models are present in a user game.
Not doing 1:1 texture replacements so not going to be possible. My textures have ambient occlusion baking and other details added. Here's what the fireplace texture looks like for example (scaled down) http://i.imgur.com/kxKF3ia.png. I think my models will fit in well with VMblast's textures but I haven't found a download link to test it out.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Yeah I'm only doing model -> model with this project, no flats (except the streetlamp). I didn't know the rotation in the Unity inspector mattered, thank you! Should save me some headache.
Reading again my previous post i see it wasn't complete. Rotation and position of the root are indeed fixed as they are defined by the game, what it changes is the rotation of every of its children. So if you use a parent as one of my latest commit allows, the inspector rotation matters (as weel as position and scale), otherwise it doesn't. I'll tink about this and decide if it's a good idea to also avoid overriding parent properties.
except the streetlamp
If you download the new code from github look for a component called DayNight to toggle the fire.
Easy fix but I don't know which (if any) of the models have missing collisions.
Fireplaces don't collide ;)
I think my models will fit in well with VMblast's textures but I haven't found a download link to test it out.
A link to the textures? This one should be fine.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

This model has two version, one with water and one empty. This one should have water.
water.png
water.png (861.51 KiB) Viewed 84791 times

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Wow, someone can make screenshot inside magic guild or tavern with VMblast textures and this models?

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Fireplace lighting+collision fixed

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

just a small notice towards the fireplace model
I think the contrast between the dark inside and the light it emits is somehow off, I think the texture of the inside should be more bright to better match the yellowish light it produces on the models. I imagine it something like this:
(I can send you the fire texture I used if interrested)
fireplace.jpg
fireplace.jpg (229.16 KiB) Viewed 84677 times