Post Processing Effects Customizer (Legacy)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
TheLacus

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by TheLacus »

MasonFace wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 pm Update: I increased the smoothness a little and started to notice the reflections showing up. It looks really really nice!
That's great! I think i won't mark it experimental anymore for the next update, maybe disabled by default to not confuse people without an appropriate textures mod.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

King of Worms wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 pm That shiny fighters guold and stone walls around the city is from the Handpainted models. Would be cool to report it there. Its the models from VMBlast which behave in this manner.

In the DREAM I did not count with the SSR at all.
But it seems its working not that bad.
I might recheck the materials with this in mind.
I don't blame you. I am aware that the FG building exterior has a number of problems. But like all of these things it takes time to get around to fixing them.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just a note, the ScreenSpace reflections are very resource hungry ofc.
I use the lowest settings and my heavily OCed gtx970 struggles to hold 60fps at some interriors, getting 100% usage

Thing is, even the lowest setting is enough graphic wise!

My suggestion would be, to make the lowest a default maybe?
And dont call it low, because that implies something sub par...

Basically, scale it all down as you move from the experimental mode.
Maybe to smthg like this?

50% resolution of current low = new Low setting
75% resolution of current Low = new Medium setting
current Low > new High
current Medium > new Ultra

High = discard
Very High = discard

This way, it will be more inline with the current state of HW.
And it will prevent ppl from killing their PCs with one single setting and than spamming the forums/internet with "help bad performance" threads

From my experience, the extra beefy settings only cause problems, when the product gets to the wider audience, you know, the guys who "max everything out" without having a clue what they are doing, than talking smack about the poor performance, writing bad reviews etc

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

What KoW said. Thanks!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oh, KoW, you're spot on with the behaviour of people online in aggregate. It enrages me when I see someone saying "horrible optimisation, lazy devs" when it's obvious they havn't the first clue when it comes to software and 3d graphics rendering! :evil:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Agreed, product must be fool proof to prevent this issue.

I know lots of mods had this problem, the devs kept the setting quite open, than it got to the wider audience and ppl went nuts, because they are used to "max out" whatever that means, just for the sake of maxing it out :lol:

I remember one game mod had grass shadows on/off, option to enable 8k shadows, plus sliders to make the grass density/draw distance huge. Guess what happened... Sliders to the right, 8k shadows and grass shadows enabled = shit storm. Avarage gamers dont understand that if you enable everything at once, theres no way any PC can run that.

Than the devs scaled down the sliders, removed 8k shadows and ppl were praising the optimalization..

Yes I talk about Lost Alpha a standalone Stalker:shadow of chernobyl mod

High end options should therefore be only available in the ini/cfg settings, so only ppl who have a clue what they are doing can enable those.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

King of Worms wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:54 pm I know lots of mods had this problem, the devs kept the setting quite open, than it got to the wider audience and ppl went nuts, because they are used to "max out" whatever that means, just for the sake of maxing it out :lol:
Reason is the average player sees someone on YT with a $5k rig playing a game with stunning visual quality, and sees comments all over the internet about PC Master Race (which most people don't even know was meant to be a sarcastic term...), and think that PC gaming is a magical land of 4K 144 HTz monitors with all the shiniest graphics and such. They don't get that the people who have those spent exuberant amounts of money on that stuff to get multiple of the best parts on the market inside of their rig, and that most normal people spend $800-1,500 on a PC, which is no where near enough to run modern games at full settings. What also doesn't help is that some people who do have those $5,000 PCs have a tendency to (very loudly) act like their rig is the common standard for an average gaming PC when it isn't, which only fuels the fire even worse.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Also:

DEPTH OF FIELD has never worked for me with this mod. It would be great to have a slight DoF at the horizont...

EYE ADAPTATION - similar as DoF, it produces strange too dark and muddy effect and is IMHO unusable in its current state

These 2 should be either remade or removed

AMBIENT OCLUSION - high / very high values produce artefacts on sprites and npcs
low/meduim work nicely
Suggestion - remove high /very high. Rename medium to High.

Plus I copy/paste the suggestion Ive made in the past, so its all in one post:

SCREENSPACE REFLECTIONS are very resource hungry ofc.
I use the lowest settings and my heavily OCed gtx970 struggles to hold 60fps at some interriors, getting 100% usage

Thing is, even the lowest setting is enough graphic wise!

My suggestion - make the lowest a default maybe?
And dont call it low, because that implies something sub par...

Basically, scale it all down as you move from the experimental mode.
Maybe to smthg like this?

50% resolution of current low = new Low setting
75% resolution of current Low = new Medium setting
current Low > new High
current Medium > new Ultra

High = discard
Very High = discard

This way, it will be more inline with the current state of HW.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

KOW, depth of field does not seem to work for me unless I turn one of the AA settings on in post-processing ( preferably TAA, but less noticeably in FXAA because it just doesn't look as good).

Also, I had to turn FXAA on in my video card settings for the d f u FXAA to work for me.
So if it's not turned on in your 3D card settings it's not going to work anyways no matter what the app says, and it's off by default in the settings, so check it.

Also, do you think you could fix the TAA setting ?
It looks funky when you turn around and stuff and the rain disappears, but it's the best one, and as long as you're not turning it looks Sublime.
Can it be fixed or what ?
It seems like it's just a tease if it ain't working right :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

pango wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:29 am
TheLacus wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:30 pm
pango wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:35 pm It seems that with Post Processing enabled I can no longer disable vsync
Is this still an issue?
I think it's related to "Eye adaptation", when it's on and my framerate drops below 60fps, it gets rounded down to 30fps.
This is one of the oldest feedback here which i believe is still unaddressed.
Unfortunately, i have never been able to replicate the issue. Is anybody else else affected by this ?

PS: thanks KoW and Midknightprince, i'll parse individual points of your posts and provide an answer, and hopefully release a new version based on your feedback.