Post Processing Effects Customizer (Legacy)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
PanYT

Re: Post Processing Effects Customizer (v1.3.0)

Post by PanYT »

I am just trying this mod.

What I can see is a round soft shadow below objects like characters, lamp post and grass etc. Is this Ambient Occlusion (SSAO)? Does this dynamically adjust to light sources or time of day to warp these soft shadows?

What do I have to look for to find bloom?

Do Screen Space Reflections work with the DREAM textures?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

PanYT wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 am I am just trying this mod.

What I can see is a round soft shadow below objects like characters, lamp post and grass etc. Is this Ambient Occlusion (SSAO)? Does this dynamically adjust to light sources or time of day to warp these soft shadows?

What do I have to look for to find bloom?
Hi!

This mod provide customization options for standard post processing effects. Their core funtionality is the same as most other games; maybe these descriptions from Unity docs can help as a starting point:
The Ambient Occlusion post-processing effect approximates Ambient Occlusion in real time as a full-screen post-processing effect. It darkens creases, holes, intersections and surfaces that are close to each other. In real life, such areas tend to block out or occlude ambient light, hence they appear darker.
Bloom is an effect used to reproduce an imaging artifact of real-world cameras. The effect produces fringes of light extending from the borders of bright areas in an image, contributing to the illusion of an extremely bright light overwhelming the camera or eye capturing the scene.
PanYT wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 am Do Screen Space Reflections work with the DREAM textures?
Yes, it doesn't require specific support from texture mods. However, is possible that the effect appears too strong or missing on certain materials if they haven't been finetuned with reflections in mind. Also have a look at Realtime Reflections wich does a similar thing with a different approach.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Will this be updated for the new version? :idea:

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

emmathepony wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:26 am Will this be updated for the new version? :idea:
It's already compatible. It isn't working for you?

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Hi, I have a meaningless little bug to report... a strange interaction of three mods: Post processing effects, enhanced sky, distant terrain. All of them the most recent versions, DFU 0.11.0 - Beta, windows x64 build.

If I have all three mods activated (their default settings) and I use retro mode rendering (640x400), the picture gets extremely blurry (as if I forgot to put my glasses on and walked outside :D ). Deactivating enhanced sky or distant terrain brings the sharpness back to normal.
Seems like the anti-aliasing feature in the post-processing effects mod is the culprit. Deactivating it also fixes the blurriness with all three mods active. Of course, it might well be, that the blur is the result of correct FXAA function, so maybe it is broken when the other two mods are not present. :D

EDIT: If you switch to TAA, instead of FXAA, the picture keeps shaking a bit, so something is bugged definitely. I mean with all three mods active ofc.
Attachments
2020_12_20_06_31_34.jpg
2020_12_20_06_31_34.jpg (138.57 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
2020_12_20_06_29_58.jpg
2020_12_20_06_29_58.jpg (169.6 KiB) Viewed 2480 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Applying antialiasing on very low resolution image creates blurry results. Thats even more accented if you use low quality blurry AA method like FXAA. TAA is also extremely blurry AA method (never understood why its so favorited in modern game :roll: ) - notice in modern games TAA is usually acompanied with sharpening settings to offset the mess TAA did. And that all at modern HD+ resolutions. Bring this to 640×480 or 32ox200 and u get what u see. Thats not bug but a feature.

Also, it makes zero sense reducing your resolution to 640 or 320 and than applying AA to that mate. Thats schizofrenic 😂 dont do that

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Yeah, I know that. That's why I called it a meaningless bug. :D I just wanted to point out, that the behavior of the AA algorithm changes when you activate distant terrain and enhanced sky together with it... makes no sense to me. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmmm I did not realize it, thats indeed strange. But it happens only in retro mode, right? I think the retro mode had some changes to work with these mods, so this can be a side-effect result. Still, hardly anything to debug IMO. But good catch 😉

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Is the fact that this mod does not work with DFU 0.13.1 a known issue?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am Is the fact that this mod does not work with DFU 0.13.1 a known issue?
Yes, 0.13 includes a major upgrade to post processing stack so this mod is not compatible. Antialiasing is now esposed directly by game settings, and that is the most important effect. I'll recreate the mod around the new version (unless someone else releases a better mod before me) for the other effects, but i don't consider it a priority.