NPC Flats Addendum

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: NPC Flats Addendum

Post by Hazelnut »

One other thing I've noticed is that you're smoothing the jaggy outline for most of each flat, but not all of it - is that intentional?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

StarMadeKnight

Post by StarMadeKnight »

Hazelnut wrote:One other thing I've noticed is that you're smoothing the jaggy outline for most of each flat, but not all of it - is that intentional?
It is! It's a stylistic choice I'm trying out, anywhere where the silhouette would be "lumpy", for lack of a better term (wavy hair, puffy sleeves, etc.) I'm leaving things a little squared-off and pixellated looking. The way I see it, that's part of DF's charm. I might play around with it in the future, but I'm not aiming for photorealism anyhow so that gives me some room to try different ideas.

Comparison, and if all looks good I'll package this up with the others tomorrow.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Not a biggie, but one of his feet looks like it has been stepped on by a horse. :D

Luzur

Post by Luzur »

StarMadeKnight wrote:
Hazelnut wrote:Maybe tone the cleavage down a little, it looks like she's a hooker. Also her face looks far too cat (kajjit) like to me.

(apologies for the criticism, hope it's constructive)
Alright, the puppies have been leashed a bit lmao. I'm not gonna make any more changes to her face, I added a few things of my own but the basic features comes right from her portrait. I'll post this with the next update.

WIP:
She Is is doing the slut-vibe abit here, so i dont mind the sweater puppies out for a walk. Anyway, splendid NPC's
"Load the muskets"

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Very nice work StarMadeKnight, i'm delighted that someone is remastering NPC's.
Keep it up!
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

StarMadeKnight

Post by StarMadeKnight »

jman0war wrote:Very nice work StarMadeKnight, i'm delighted that someone is remastering NPC's.
Keep it up!
Thanks, that really means a lot :)

Sorry for the delay y'all, real life got in the way this weekend. I'll try for an update tonight.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice work and great initiative, thanks for joining the DFU creators corner! ;)

StarMadeKnight

Post by StarMadeKnight »

Thanks for being patient guys, here's the promised download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yow0go8azbyfk ... ts.7z?dl=0

-suffixes should be fixed to be lowercase now, if a linux user can confirm.
-added pageboy and Cabal wizard flats

This is my first time doing animated flats (the flashing eyes), let me know if there's any glitches/oddities.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I was just stopping on the forums to see what new posts had been made, but when I saw your upload, I dropped everything and installed it.

These look stunning. This is precisely what Daggerfall would look like in high res, IMO.

The one thing that jumped out at me was the Cabal person's hand. It looks like it has three fingers instead of four on top of the staff, which I couldn't ignore. But the animation works perfectly and it's an excellent piece otherwise.

I notice the image files are getting pretty heavy in size. I don't know if it'll speed up performance, but reducing file/image size in the future would reduce the download size at least.

StarMadeKnight

Post by StarMadeKnight »

Thank you so much! :D

Re: his hand, I was honestly so focused on trying to figure out what the hands were supposed to be doing in the original flat and match up with the lines as closely as I could that I wasn't even paying attention to things like basic anatomy. I'm going to continue tweaking this one, there's a few things that I'm not totally happy with, and I'll probably update it with the next upload.

I've thought about filesize as well, and I've already started testing some of the flats at half size (1024 instead of 2048 height). The quality loss has been minimal so I think I'll make that change for the next version as well.