Announcing the first Daggerfall Unity gameplay mod. Think: Indiana Jones...
This mod enhances Daggerfall Unity gameplay by making language skills more viable and adding a new guild to the game, called "The Archaeologists Guild". Their mission is to delve into the history of Tamriel and are interested in all creatures and races who have lived or still live there. The guild is a scholarly one and seeks nether attention, power, or riches, but rather knowledge. Its guildhalls are found in smaller towns throughout the Illiac Bay rather than the more expensive and visible cities.The guild is loosely split into members who perform field work, and the more senior members who perform research and are experts in the obscure languages of Tamriel.
Essentially contains gameplay changes I would like for my own playing once DFU is released. I hope others find it enhances their play throughs as well.
- Enable highly intelligent characters who don't use magic to still be a viable playstyle. Sneaking through dangerous dungeons, avoiding or pacifying enemies. Uses potions where necessary, and has access to recall via potion or item.
- Provide a balanced in-game method for reducing the massive time-sink that DF dungeons can be with the guild service that provides a locator device for dungeon quest targets.
- Language skill checks changed so high language skills give a much better pacification chance.
- Language skills are easier to raise.
- New guild allows training in all language skills up to the level of characters innate intelligence.
- New guild provides hand-to-hand training, which is missing in classic.
- Guild service providing locator devices that enable enhanced location of quest targets in dungeons.
- New quests to be available from the guild. (written by Jay_H)
- Adds teleport potions & recipe to DFU.
- Mark of recall given to all new recruits. Can be repaired or replaced by the guild for a price.
- Book containing guild hall locations given to new joiners. Can be replaced by talking to the mark repairer with a mark that doesn't need repair.
The intent of this service is to balance the atmosphere and epic-ness of dungeons, with provision of an in-game method for players to avoid searching the whole dungeon for hours and hours just to complete a simple quest that gets them 5 rep and a few hundred gold. It will not ensure every quest is successful, but just shortcut hours of very boring backtracking and having to explore every single crevice and cranny in the place. It's not intended to be used in every dungeon, but sparingly due to cost.
The locator device is available to any member and provides a magically powered ability to see the quest target location through walls. It will not activate until you have explored a certain portion of the dungeon (based on rank) and even once activated doesn't help with the labyrinthine mazes, moving elements or magically held locks. Also, to purchase devices for the device you will need to be at least rank of Field Officer. Until that point you will receive one device for each Archaeologists guild quest taken that requires entering a dungeon. Purchasing devices will be very expensive (starting at 2k gp) and will also require a holy tome or dagger to be handed in as well. Rising in the ranks of the guild will reduce this price and at rank 6 you will no longer need to hand in holy items. Since the higher ranks are only available to high INT chars, this allows for characters who are not hoovering loot from corpses to be able to afford devices.
The guild obtains the locator devices from a secretive sect of mages who have a different approach to things and do not see eye to eye with the Mages guild. For this reason those with high ranks in the Mages guild (6 and above) are restricted from the higher levels of the Archaeologists. (since they will probably be hoovering up loot and wont need the reduced locator cost either) Gaining reputation with Archaeologists will reduce reputation with Mages Guild.
Guild Ranks and Benefits
Code: Select all
Rank Title INT req Benefit ------------------------------------------------------- 0 Field Assistant 40 Training 1 Field Agent 45 Buy potions 2 Field Officer 50 Library access, repair recall mark, and purchase locator devices 3 Field Director 55 Make potions 4 Apprentice 60 24/7 hall access 5 Novice 60 Free Identification 6 Journeyman 65 No holy item needed for purchasing locator devices 7 Associate 65 Daedra summoning & avoid death perk 8 Professor 70 Locator devices at cost price 9 Master 70 Locator devices at less than cost price
Centaurian, Climbing, Daedric, Dragonish, Giantish, Harpy, Impish, Lockpicking, Nymph, Orcish, Stealth
Centaurian, Climbing, Dodging, Daedric, Dragonish, Giantish, HandToHand, Harpy, Impish, Lockpicking, Nymph, Orcish, Running, Stealth, Swimming
Feedback is very useful especially on balance aspects. You must ensure that "Allow Custom Assets" option in Advanced/Gameplay settings is enabled otherwise it will not work correctly.
See the Nexus page here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/14
For DFU v0.10.12 and later released builds, use v0.10 from Nexus.
For DFU v0.10.8 release builds, use v0.9 from Nexus.
For DFU v0.10.4 and earlier, get the mod v0.6 build here: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods/re ... ld-0.6.zip