[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Kamer »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:03 pm Thanks for the kind words Jaiysaun, much appreciated.

Today I added a mark of recall which you get when you join. Also potion of recall that can be purchased or mixed.

Then looked at adding a sign for the guild. Just tested with a temple sign, I need to figure out how I can add a new model and texture etc. Not a replacement like many of the hi res mods do. That will have to wait for me to read (and understand) the model modding stuff - help & pointers welcome! :D
Could this be of any help? I'm not sure if anyone has tried using this before.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks, but that wont help me with adding a new model. I can easily put the model into the world using the data overrides I created, that's not where I am unsure. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Kamer wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:06 am You mind if I use your sign for this? I just have a placeholder one right now.
Use this as you want :D

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So tonight I tried to make a model that I can put in the mod - I know how to get it into the gameworld, but having never used a 3d package it's going to take quite a while for me to learn enough to do it myself. I naively thought replacing the texture on a model would be easy, since I don't need to change any vertices or anything but when you know nothing about something it's actually quite a learning curve to do even the simple stuff. I installed blender then followed the mod docs: exported a model from dagger modelling tool, imported in blender, tried and failed to scale it properly - every time I hit scale it seemed to think I wanted to do it freehand with the mouse. Sure it's a great program, but to a novice newcomer it's bewildering. So I gave up and decided to just export as is in one of the formats mod docs says, and put it into assets regardless of scale or a changed texture. Unity editor found it and I could inspect it but although it seemed to know what textures it was supposed to use they wouldn't show up. Basically I have no clue, and TBH no interest in learning a 3d modelling workflow just to make one copy of DF sign with a new texture.

If some one else can make it so I can simply load into unity and then package in the mod, I will happily use it. As I said before, getting it into the gameworld once available to injection system I can handle. I think I would prefer it to be like one of the hanging signs with a single post but I'm really not that bothered. @Zarodter, if the pic you posted was an actual model you may have already done this. Certainly happy to use your nice classic feeling texture for the sign.

Anyway, think I'm going to stick to coding! :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

I hear you, I just went through this recently with the airship I'm working on. Learning blender was a massive pain at first, especially when it came to textures and basic controls. If you're willing to give it another shot, here's what I found out about scaling, rotation, textures/materials as relates to getting it imported nicely in Unity. It's not all that bad! If not, at least someone else may find this useful who is trying to work with models and DFU.

Things to do before getting started:

a. You will need the Unity Tools add-on found here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/blender ... ix.181870/. Get the 265 and newer version and drop it in Blender Foundation\Blender\"VersionNumber"\scripts\addons. Start up Blender.

b. Under File->User Preferences, click Add-ons on the top, and under categories on the left click Object. Find Object: Unity Tools on the right and click the box and click save user settings.

And then...

1. Open a new empty project. Right-click the cube, and press Delete.

2. Import the .dae model.

3. You should be in Object mode in lower left, and the model should be selected. Press S, then type .025 and press enter. That will scale it down on the x y and z.

4. Press Control + A, and select Scale. This will set the scale to 1.0 with the current .025 scale setting.

5. On the far left, click on the Misc tab. It'll likely be at the bottom of the tabs, below "Grease Pencil".

6. Under Unity Tools, click Full Rotation Fix.

To Change the Texture

EDIT: It just occurred to me that the texture could probably be replaced by simply naming your new texture what the old one was, and you can bypass the texture-changing part of Blender entirely if that is quicker/easier.

It's helpful to be in Rendered mode for this part. Click the button shown here and click Rendered:

Rendered.PNG
Rendered.PNG (9.79 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

1. Select the Materials tab on the panel on the right as shown:
MaterialTab.PNG
MaterialTab.PNG (46.26 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

2. Select the material with the sign texture in the list of materials. It's likely the top one.

3. Go to the Texture tab to the right of the Materials tab as shown:
TextureTab.PNG
TextureTab.PNG (73.28 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

4. Click the folder the arrow is pointing to. Select the new replacement texture. That should do the trick, assuming the texture is the same size. If it isn't it might not and I guess it needs to be resized. I'm just learning this stuff myself though...

To Export

I usually save the model as a .blender with the camera and lamp in it, then select the camera and lamp and delete them from the scene hierarchy on the right before exporting.

Now make sure the model is selected in Object mode. Press A to select all. It'll have a yellow outline if selected. You will need to go from Rendered mode to Solid to see it.

1. Click File->Export->.fbx

2. In the lower-left pane, under Export FBX, do the following:

2a. Click the box Selected Objects

2b. Set Apply Scale to "FBX All".

2c. Set Z Forward to +Z.

2d. Set Up to Y Up

3. Click the + next to Operator Presets and name it something like "Unity" for faster use in the future.

The model should now be imported at the correct scale. Rotation is a toss up, but that should be set correctly as well. It can usually be compensated for via scripting if it's not, at least.

For the textures, you need to place the textures that the model tools put in the folder "images" when the model was exported into your mods folder somewhere for the model to see them, along with your new replacement texture instead of the old one. They may need to be in-place before you import the model for the model see them. Also, don't forget to click "Generate Colliders" when importing the model, and I usually de-select camera and lights even if they were deleted from the model scene.

There is probably a way to map the textures that the sign uses via scripting and what the game already has, so as to not have duplicate textures used by your mod, but I have yet to delve into that myself.

Hope that helps!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Wow!! Must say how much I appreciate your time and effort writing all that up step by step 'fer dummies' style. Sometimes the community here makes me speechless!! :D

Thanks so much Kaedius, although I was quite happy to move on and leave the 3d stuff, I will respect the effort and assistance - so going to give another try tonight. No promises as to results, it will be limited by my patience and temperature with the heatwave that's going on. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Well, look what Kaedius has helped me do.... :D Seriously thanks man, and also to Zadroter for the great classic look texture.
Attachments
ArchGuildSigns.png
ArchGuildSigns.png (578.88 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Now that's a fine looking sign! I'm glad I could help, I spent a lot of time fuming at Blender trying to get scale and rotation to import properly. And definitely props to Zadroter for the texture, it's so perfectly classic it hurts.

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Cool! At least something I done was used. But well, I missed disscution, but how you apllyed it? I thought it is impossible for now to edit actual blocks to add models to it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I used the world data override asset injection I created for this mod, allows extra stuff to be added into a block - this was just the first time I added something to the exterior and that uses a new model. The model is the same as many in DF data files but I think it's the only way to get a new texture in. The first 2 pages of this thread has more detail, and there's a pinned tutorial about using world data overrides. Also UV is making an editor to make it easier to place stuff, to remove the need to edit coordinates by hand in a trial and error fashion.