[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Hazelnut »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am
Kamer wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:06 am I need to figure out how KOW can put in low res textures replacements without compression cause it downgrades the quality a lot on sprites.
Loose files textures follow setting [Enhancements] -> CompressModdedTextures. If you want to configure textures individually you can bundle them inside a mod as KoW suggested.
Wish I had remembered this post. Ralzar and I spent a couple of frustrating hours tonight trying to work out why the images he was sending me looked like complete crap in my game. Eventually figured out that I had texture compression switched on. Not that I realised, it was just the default setting. The files were multiples of 4 in resolution (since KoW made that really clear in the Sitrus thread) and less than 2k in size at 44x40 px.

Two questions arise from my experience tonight... 1) Can this default to false, or is it really important for some mods even on good spec PCs? 2) Can it ignore small files and only apply compression above a threshold maybe?

In the long run it's not a concern for me, as these images will be packaged in a dfmod and I guess I can configure them in the unity inspector to be compressed or not?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 am 1) Can this default to false, or is it really important for some mods even on good spec PCs?
It should decisely be enabled by default. People reported excessive memory usage before i added that option; compression helped to keep it at a sane level.
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 am 2) Can it ignore small files and only apply compression above a threshold maybe?
We can load texture with a non-compressed format, check resolution and then "convert" to a compressed format. If we expect resolution to be high enough in most cases, this could mean slowing down the process of loading textures from disk which is already very slow...
I would need to test if there is any difference between requesting a compressed format with the API call for image loading and requesting a non-compressed format and then compress it afterward.

Alternatively we can use xml files to specify target format. We already do that for other material properties, like cutout vs transparent material.

But can you explain what's the use case here? I don't think most people would want to mix high resolution textures with pixel art.
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 am In the long run it's not a concern for me, as these images will be packaged in a dfmod and I guess I can configure them in the unity inspector to be compressed or not?
Yes, you can pick any format you want.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

TheLacus wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:15 pm But can you explain what's the use case here? I don't think most people would want to mix high resolution textures with pixel art.
This is for new item textures which are vanilla style and resolution. Really I was only asking just to avoid any one else wasting time due to the compression issue with small textures. My expectation is that most custom items will be in dfmods as they'll need scripts. Anyway I take your points, and so I think we should leave things as they are then. Thanks for the reply. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

FloydFire

Post by FloydFire »

I'm having an issue where i think all cities that have an archeologists guild instead got 2 guilds (i don't mean houses like the screenshot but 2 archeologists guild, or 4 houses for city) is that normal? I installed the mod after the playthrough was started, can that be the issue? Is there anything i can do to fix it?

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

FloydFire wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:29 pm I'm having an issue where i think all cities that have an archeologists guild instead got 2 guilds (i don't mean houses like the screenshot but 2 archeologists guild, or 4 houses for city) is that normal? I installed the mod after the playthrough was started, can that be the issue? Is there anything i can do to fix it?
Daggerfall cities are built out of blocks and there are some locations that use the same city blocks twice or happen to have multiple blocks with a guild. It's nothing to worry about.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Iskandry

Post by Iskandry »

Is there something i'm missing?
I can't get the locator devices to work. Whenever i click Use on them in the inventory it keeps giving the message that i haven't explored enough of the dungeon, even though i clearly uncovered more than 50% of it...

It should be noted that i'm playing with the "smaller dungeons" setting turned on. But that only affects the random dungeons, and i don't need a locator device there. Here i'm talking about the huge story dungeons. It doesn't work in those either.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It doesn't work with smaller dungeons switched on as they're trying to solve the same issue just different ways.

Handylimit

Post by Handylimit »

Hello. I appear to be having issues with the guild introductory quest.

The issue is the quest giver disappears from the library he is standing in once I leave the library and re-enter. This makes it impossible for me to turn in the quest once I have completed it. I have tested a bunch of different things: completing the quest and returning, entering the library but not talking to him, accepting but then immediately re-entering, etc. In all these cases he disappears. I have searched the library also but could not find him after his initial disappearance. Asking other characters about him has them tell me he's still in the Library. I have waited in a nearby tavern for 72 hours hoping that he would return but he doesn't.

I'm not sure if there is something obvious I am missing, or if there is a conflict with another mod, or if this is just a bug. Any light you can shine on this would be appreciated because it has really left me scratching my head.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The guild doesn't have an intro quest, that's the vanilla Thieves and Dark Brotherhood guilds.

If you just mean the first quest you took, then it will be a random quest and I'll need more info to go on. You could post your gamesave which will enable me to take a look at the data saved.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

And make sure you're not thinking of a Cartagrophers quest. Not the same thing ;)