[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Interkarma »

This is amazing work Hazelnut. :)
Arctus wrote:"So adventurer, if you just head down to crypt X there's an ancient lich residing there..."

"And you want me to stab it in the face until it's dead?"

"Oh, oh heavens no. We have some questions for it."

"..."
I think this hilariously sums up what language skills could have been in Daggerfall. It's great to watch this community exploring higher level gameplay changes before this thing is even done.

RH666

Post by RH666 »

I want to give massive props here, this is exactly the kind of thing I got hopeful about when DF was first being released. I'm slowly going through the quest tutorials myself and I'd be more than happy to help out where I can once I get things to work :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Let's get started with some quest concepts. All are subject to feedback and modification :)

Beginner quests:

1. A journeyman with the Mages Guild wishes to exchange notes regarding magical items found within the current region. Take some of the Archaeologists' notes and receive the mage's, and return for a simple reward of between 50 and 125 gold.
2. A valuable book of notes has been left in a regional shop, as the owner was too busy to wait for you. Retrieve it and bring it back to the guild for a simple reward.
3. The potionmaker requires a bag of ingredients from a shop in another city. Bring it to the guild for a simple reward.

Novice quests:

1. The guild has been pointed toward a record regarding the regional ruler's ancestry. Go down into a dungeon, find it, and bring it back for a reward.
2. A local expert wishes to find an object of historical value in a dungeon. He/she will accompany you into the dungeon, and depart once it is found.

Intermediate quests:

1. An expert in the guild has disappeared entirely, with only vague rumors as to his/her whereabouts. Speak to townspeople, follow rumors, and try to find the expert, who will be holed up in a residence in a city.
2. A politically sensitive document has been taken from the Archaeologists' possession. Find the thieves and take it back.

Advanced quests:

1. Carry an object of significant value to a regional expert in a dungeon. Enemies will seek you to steal it off your corpse.
2. Lich interrogation quest.

Endgame quests:

1. An artifact is rumored to be held by a local noble, who refuses to part with it except for an exorbitant sum or a particularly egregious and illegal favor. Follow his/her instructions or receive help from secret associates to blackmail/slay the noble to obtain the artifact. Return it to the guild for a large gold reward, or keep it for yourself at no reputation loss. (Long and difficult)
2. An artifact has been unearthed deep within a regional dungeon, but all who touch it have suffered a curse of death. Find the cause with the help of associates, or face the serious consequences of taking it early. (Perhaps daedric cause, requiring some form of exorcism?) (66% chance of an ordinary object, 33% chance of a real artifact.)

RH666

Post by RH666 »

How does this sound for a novice quest:

Like No.1 the guild wants records on the local ruler's ancestry, so you go ask him, but plot twist he doesn't want to give it. You find out if you read the notes, his grandfather was illegitimate, so you end up having a few options to solve the quest:

1. Huge, nearly impossible Etiquette speech check.

2. Pay a massive sum of money as a bribe.

These two will likely only be doable by higher level characters

3. Hire a thief NPC that gets spawned

4. Steal it yourself

5. Get the notes from a rival noble who just happens to know the juicy secret and has been aching for a chance to use it.

The last three will be more doable by low level characters.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

The locator device is available to any member and provides a magicka powered ability to see the quest target location through walls.
Does it only work inside the dungeons or on the world map?
Could it be possible to use a system like that to pinpoint a location such a city to use it as a compass marker? as in skyrim :?:
I'm sorry for my ignorance. :oops:
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

RH666 wrote:How does this sound for a novice quest:

Like No.1 the guild wants records on the local ruler's ancestry, so you go ask him, but plot twist he doesn't want to give it. You find out if you read the notes, his grandfather was illegitimate, so you end up having a few options to solve the quest:

1. Huge, nearly impossible Etiquette speech check.

2. Pay a massive sum of money as a bribe.

These two will likely only be doable by higher level characters

3. Hire a thief NPC that gets spawned

4. Steal it yourself

5. Get the notes from a rival noble who just happens to know the juicy secret and has been aching for a chance to use it.

The last three will be more doable by low level characters.
Certainly. I plan on implementing various branching paths for several of these quests. I think the ultimate role-playing experience that Daggerfall is capable of will offer multiple choices at any given stage, governed by RNG. Just like how in real life every situation doesn't play out the same way every time, you won't have the opportunity to do the same quest the same way each time, and, very rarely, some things will just get railroaded. But by leaving choice intact, players will still be able to decide for themselves how to proceed from among their remaining options.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

delvisomanda wrote:
The locator device is available to any member and provides a magicka powered ability to see the quest target location through walls.
Does it only work inside the dungeons or on the world map?
Could it be possible to use a system like that to pinpoint a location such a city to use it as a compass marker? as in skyrim :?:
I'm sorry for my ignorance. :oops:
Yes it only works in dungeons, this is by design and the code is specific to quest targets. I'm sure it would be possible to add overworld location compass markers, but I'm not sure the scale of the DF world would make it a worthwhile thing to do.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

RH666

Post by RH666 »

I could see it on a simple 'mark it on your town map' functionality. Especially while Info-mode clicking doesn't seem to work currently.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I interpreted the query as whether locations (i.e. towns, dungeons, farms etc) could have a marker. If the question is about places within a location, then that's already present in the game - just switch on the quest diagnostics and you get markers for the building you need to go to. This is while the talk system for asking where places are is still being developed.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Hazelnut wrote: Yes it only works in dungeons, this is by design and the code is specific to quest targets. I'm sure it would be possible to add overworld location compass markers, but I'm not sure the scale of the DF world would make it a worthwhile thing to do.
I was thinking, kind of like, on the fast travel, when you select a location, a pop-up message may appear asking if you want to "fast travel" or "place a marker". If "Fast Travel"is selected, the normal window appears. But if someone selects "place a marker" then they could use a system like yours.

I would love a system like that, because I love to travel from one dungeon to another on the world map, even if it's empty. :mrgreen:
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.