Daggerfall Remastered Music Project (Released)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Dalebvr

Re: Daggerfall Remastered Music Project (Released)

Post by Dalebvr »

Just listened to your remixes on soundcloud.

Bravisimo!

I played my favorite, the winter SnowG2, and just fell back in my chair and closed my eyes. It was perfect; I could see riding across the wilderness as it played. I was wondering if anyone was going to try and improve the music, and you have sir.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it! :D
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Daggerpaws

Post by Daggerpaws »

Love this project, ByteMixer. I saw that your project was final'd, so I took it upon myself to add one last improvement: professional audio remastering. Hope you don't mind. My "day job" as a game composer gives me some neat tools and pipelines to work with, so I've been remastering your files as a fun side project in my downtime. It should sound mostly the same, but subtly clearer, cleaner, and fuller, while honoring the mix. I've tested it in DFUnity, they seem to work fine. Install these the same way as yours:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fV152j ... sp=sharing

Here's a few preview tracks, as well:

https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jenni ... er-project

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Daggerpaws, quite epic 1st post :lol:
Welcome and thank you, Im looking forward the comparison of the sound!

And since you are here, I have a question.
Would it be possible I send you the Cleaned Sound Clips by Pango, and you try to do your magic on those?
Its the sounds from daggerfall but he did awesome job on restoring them (not some basic stuff but quite advanced)

I think it should be great if you could use the equip on those?
Fingers crossed :)

edit: compared the tracks, for example song_5Strong, I set the volume to match each other (because louder "sounds" better and the remastered tracks are louder (but not too loud or over-compressed - good job) and I must say - without too much details - I like what I hear. Subtle changes (as it should be) but the presence of the track is more like-able to me overall.

Any basic info on the processing which was done?

Id like to know what Bytemixer thinks, Im sure he will pop here laters and give his feedback.

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

Oh. My.

GSnowB sounds -exactly- like it did with the old SB AWE 32 with orchestral soundfonts and 4" dual poss speakers. Don't know what post processing you you used, but I like it! Bytemixer hopefully finds it pleasing as well.

Daggerpaws

Post by Daggerpaws »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 pm Hi Daggerpaws, quite epic 1st post :lol:
Welcome and thank you, Im looking forward the comparison of the sound!

And since you are here, I have a question.
Would it be possible I send you the Cleaned Sound Clips by Pango, and you try to do your magic on those?
Its the sounds from daggerfall but he did awesome job on restoring them (not some basic stuff but quite advanced)

I think it should be great if you could use the equip on those?
Fingers crossed :)

edit: compared the tracks, for example song_5Strong, I set the volume to match each other (because louder "sounds" better and the remastered tracks are louder (but not too loud or over-compressed - good job) and I must say - without too much details - I like what I hear. Subtle changes (as it should be) but the presence of the track is more like-able to me overall.

Any basic info on the processing which was done?

Id like to know what Bytemixer thinks, Im sure he will pop here laters and give his feedback.
:D Hey there, King Of Worms! I consider your DFUnity mods to be essential. Thanks for all you've contributed to the overall project! And for the kind feedback. Let me see if I can adequately address your inquiries in one jumbled explanation of how the remastering tech works.

Professionally mastering/remastering audio is difficult, tedious, time-consuming work by any measure. Traditionally, it takes about 3 hours of highly intensive work to process a single minute of music, and even the best mastering engineers have trouble reaching optimal quality. That's why I employ neural networks/deep learning AI in my pipeline, developed by mastering engineers with achievement-studded careers. It saves a lot of time, but there's still a decent amount of work-per-file that has to be done manually. Part of that pre-processing for the pipeline involves normalizing each track to have about ~6dB of headroom--that's easy to automate. Part of the post-processing involves manually checking each file's original peak amplitude, and then normalizing the remastered file to have the same amount of headroom--this varies from file to file, with no two being identical, and I haven't figured out a way to automate this process. It's the most tedious part, but not the only tedious part. Remastering the 81 tracks of the soundtrack was time-consuming, but worthwhile--I hope y'all agree.

With that being said, I'd be willing to give the Cleaned Sound Clips pack a remaster. It might take me a good while, because of the number of individual files--nearly 5x as many, but I think it'll be a great fit for the remastered music, and be worth doing, so I'll try to work it into my schedule.
Dalebvr wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 am Oh. My.

GSnowB sounds -exactly- like it did with the old SB AWE 32 with orchestral soundfonts and 4" dual poss speakers. Don't know what post processing you you used, but I like it! Bytemixer hopefully finds it pleasing as well.
:D I am so glad you like it. Look above for a more detailed explanation of the processing.

By the way, if y'all like my work here, do you think y'all could give me some advice on bringing some attention to my mod request?

https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... hat_lets/
I'd expect a stable, low-level implementation would be something along the lines of checking out what function in the game drops gold when you drop it from the inventory, and then making a settings.ini-defined optional keybind that (if necessary) checks if you've got 1 gold, and then drops it via function that's usually called from the menu.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

By the way, if y'all like my work here, do you think y'all could give me some advice on bringing some attention to my mod request?
You should be able to achieve this by using some third-party software to run an input macro:
https://www.prohavit.com/blog/8-free-ma ... -keyboard/

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ty for reply! I did not expect AI was used, interesting!

About cleaned soundclips, pls dont do it fron the original download, it contains 10s and 10s of old Arena sounds and other unused sounds. Let me send you the pack of files which are actually used instead, will do so very soon!

And about the mod u spoke at reddit.

I saw Nystul is working on the updated mapping system and it has a coin drop on a hot key... plus u can write notes etc. So that might be it?

Also if u want your mod ideas to be noted, write em here in forums in the correct section ... Im on phone and dont remember the name, but its easy to find.

Good luck!

Daggerpaws

Post by Daggerpaws »

jedidia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:49 am
You should be able to achieve this by using some third-party software to run an input macro:
https://www.prohavit.com/blog/8-free-ma ... -keyboard/
If Nystul's working on adding coin drop on hotkey to the updating mapping system, I might be set. Buuuut, that's a good idea for automating some of the more tedious aspects of the remastering pipeline, so thank you for that!
King of Worms wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:51 am Ty for reply! I did not expect AI was used, interesting!

About cleaned soundclips, pls dont do it fron the original download, it contains 10s and 10s of old Arena sounds and other unused sounds. Let me send you the pack of files which are actually used instead, will do so very soon!

And about the mod u spoke at reddit.

I saw Nystul is working on the updated mapping system and it has a coin drop on a hot key... plus u can write notes etc. So that might be it?

Also if u want your mod ideas to be noted, write em here in forums in the correct section ... Im on phone and dont remember the name, but its easy to find.

Good luck!
If you'd like to see more examples of the heavy lifting duty AI mastering/remastering can do, feel free to check out my Youtube channel I use to field test my pipeline/results. I tried to mostly pick stuff that'd benefit from having clearer, fuller sound.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgdazk ... rkw/videos

Thank you for getting back to me! I'll definitely hold off until you've sent me the proper files.

I scanned the last several pages of Nystul's Automap thread, but was unable to find reference to the coin drop on hot key feature. Could I trouble you for a link? It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Daggerpaws, after I gave it a thought, Im sending you the Adjusted Cleaned Soundclips

The adjustments are made by me and I did my best for them to be for better.

It includes
- very slight echo on the sounds which are played ONLY in the dungeons
- same type of echo on the underwater sounds
- slight variations on the monster sounds which were previously the same for more monsters than one (so for example now the Bat doesnt sound exactly the same as a Rat)
- new cricket sounds (because no matter how you process the original ones, it will still sound bad)
- some volume adjustments (so the orc warlord footsteps are not the same as a generic orc)

All in all, Ive spend quite some time on it and did NOT go overboard with processing or sound swaps, contrary.
Im sure this is better than original.

And ofc all unused sounds are NOT in the archive. So this will save you time you would spend on unnecessary processing...

Lets see what you can do, no rush, we have all the time .)

Thank you!

https://mega.nz/#!y6wSXIoA!ZotQ3qc-WdMD ... Incxp89nls