Daggerfall Remastered Music Project (Released)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ByteMixer

Re: RE: MIDI (a.k.a. Daggerfall Remastered Music Project)

Post by ByteMixer »

Yeah, the only other comprehensive and complete remaster of Daggerfall music I know of by a single person is the project by Pieces of 8-Bit on youtube. Other sources I've looked at, including the forums and websites mentioned, tend to only have certain tracks, or groups of tracks done by one person....nothing complete or comprehensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjHhsU ... pU4dYqwVP0

However due to copyright and licensing/distribution concerns I don't think Pieces of 8-Bit ever released the tracks publicly as downloads. I think his project originated on the old XL Engine forums. Sometimes if I'm confused on a particular instrument or percussion setting I'll use his work as a sanity check.

My goal is similar to what he accomplished, i.e. using instrument samples (pre-recorded samples of acoustic instruments) to "remaster" the midi into something more, I don't know, authentic, I guess? More modern? It's a different flavor, but the same idea. Though in some cases I do have to use some artistic interpretation and second guess the original writer's intentions a little.

I also do my best to deliver a competent balance/mix of sounds so that the music translates well across various speaker systems.

Some choice music examples of the 2 packs available so far are on my soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/sets/dag ... ed-music-1

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/sets/dag ... eon-tracks

Once I'm done with everything, I'll consolidate it all down into a single RAR archive on my google drive for people.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You don't get enough recognition for all the work you've done on this. The moment you're happy with the final product, just let me know. I'll do what I can to get people playing with it. :)

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Thanks, the thought is appreciated!

I'm doing this as much for myself as for others, and I hope they enjoy it all the same! :D

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Managed to get a few tracks done today, so I uploaded one that I think just about all of us should recognize. :)

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/daggerfa ... ng_raining

The game had a lot of rainy weather at times, hehe. I kinda did this one after quiet hour, so it's done on my headphones, but I'll recheck it over the speakers. I also finished fm_nite3 and g_mage3 today, and I like how they turned out. You'll have to wait for the project completion, though! :P

I reuse settings and instrument groupings from the previously finished tracks to make things a little quicker, and going back, looking through, I have noticed some minor inconsistencies, such as an effects knob being set to 0 instead of the % I want it to be at. I think an embedded midi CC message or two might have slipped past me. It's not a big deal because I know the data value to look for, and I can just go through quickly and delete the automated value when it occurs.

So yeah, I'll shore everything up and double check the already released tracks again before I package it all together in a final download. Meanwhile, enjoy the teaser!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is one of my favourite tracks, and you've rendered a beautiful version of it. Very much looking forward to the final download. :)

ebbpp

Post by ebbpp »

I cannot wait for your version of "Snowing" , that one is my favorite.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

You guys need to bump this thing way up.
I had to dig to find this one, and even then it was pure luck that I clicked on a link to this thread in another post.
Good stuff man, this is just what DFU needs, more music choice, and it doesn't break the mood of the classic tracks from what I can tell.
the Dan Goodale stuff is awesome but sometimes songs are a bit too flamboyant, and kind of over the top, this thing is like souped up classic tracks..
They sound like classic, but it's like a new age classic kind of thing.
You are awesome dude, thank you.
P.s. and you did the df theme, new start music, yes please, thank you very much.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Thanks!

Work has been slow this month since my band has a new drummer, and we've been doing extra meetings to bring him up to speed on our set. We're a bit hot to trot for getting a gig and hitting the stage. We really need to hit the stage soon. I think our flavor of songs are going to be fairly popular. It's kind of pop rock and alt rock with a bit of prog/experimental flavor to it, particularly the 6 songs I've contributed, since they tend to have meter changes and lots of little transitions between the main grooves. There's not a lot of people doing it these days in our neck of the woods. I know this is a bit of a plug, but my songwriting influences include Radiohead, Muse, Queen, QotSA, SoaD, Foo Fighters, Struts, and many more in that vein, not to mention my background is in classical music, and as a student I wrote a contemporary trumpet quartet. I also wrote a wedding procession/recession for string quartet for a couple who unfortunately decided not to get married, haha. I also have an unfinished wind ensemble piece that has a British Isles kind of flavor to it.

Er, but that's neither here nor there, so I'll digress!

I'll also be attending AES at the Javits Center in NYC next week, courtesy of our bass player who has been working with a startup called DAWtomation.

I'm also providing some recording/mixing tutoring/consultation to a previous drummer audition who didn't quite make the cut, and it's paid work (which I wasn't expecting, but a nice thing).

So, sorry again for delays. I know I said in the past I hoped to be done by September, but that's not the case, obviously. Not sure when it'll be done at this point (maybe it will be a nice Christmas present), but I'm working on it on and off as I find time.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic a bit there. Only 28 midi tracks left!!! They will be done at some point in the near future! Thanks for your patience! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No worries mate, life always comes first. But keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the final package. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im a big fan of this project and use all the released tracks in my game setup. Its true this should get more recognition. I believe when its released and gets moved to a Released mods section, it will get the spotlight it deserves!