Daggerfall Remastered Music Project (Released)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ByteMixer

Re: RE: MIDI (a.k.a. Daggerfall Remastered Music Project)

Post by ByteMixer »

Just a heads up that I'm on a short break from the remaster project. My wife is taking a "Staycation" this week, so we'll be out and around doing stuff, and visiting places around town.

Also, our band has a potential performance coming up on August 17th, and we are compressing rehearsal times to fit more in per week in preparation (plus other band member's schedules aren't great for beginning and end of August as one member is gone the first 2 weeks, and the other guy is gone the last 2 weeks, so the window for performing is small). My wife's parents are also coming up for a visit some time either in mid August or towards her birthday at the end.

I'll try to work on things a little bit here and there during the first couple weeks of August when we don't have rehearsals, and maybe release a mini-pack with some dungeon themes. But I probably won't be working full steam until September.

Sorry for the delay!!!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Thank you for this
Check out my YouTube Channel!

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Another preview track up on my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/song-gdngn10

Just to show I'm not completely avoiding the project while other personal life and band stuff is going on! I think it's one of the more creepy dungeon tracks what with the tone cluster as a drone.

:D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This sounds amazing! Very atmospheric. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great! I use your music pack for quite some time and it adds to the game a lot. Thank you!

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Good news, I think I might just get that pack of dungeon music out soon. I just have 7 more dungeon tracks to go through, then go back to do another pass to check for consistency, and I'll be ready to package them up on my google drive.

That said, I still have other things going on, so I'm lucky to finish 1 track a day. But I should have something up in a couple weeks....... or maybe mid-August. :) No rehearsals going on the first 2 weeks of August, so I'll have some more time for myself.

Aside from that, just 33 non-dungeon tracks left. I should be able to get some steady work done on this in August, and I should be done with everything and ready for a full release in less than 2 months if everything goes well.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Dungeon Music is pretty much done. If I do end up making any minor tweaks, I can just re-upload the RAR archive.

I'll update the first page with the link on my google drive, but it's here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tPs1fG ... mEBoW/view

D1 is already in the first pack, so I started from D2 in this lot.

Observations:
Daggerfall is weeeeeiiiiiiirrrrrrrd!

Seriously, there were some duplicates of some of the tracks that weren't just typical GS vs. FM midi files. Just....for example, Dungeon 9, Dungeon 5, and fm_dngn5 were all basically the same identical tracks. The only difference being fm_dngn5 had a little extra panning data on one of the tracks, and a little higher velocity values (i.e. louder notes). fm_dngn4 was the same as dungeon4, but half as long (dungeon4 had a repeat of the section, but on 3 different tracks for some reason, so is longer overall) I mostly left things faithful to the tracks as best I could.

But seriously....weeeeeiiiiiiirrrrrrrrddddd!!! Because the filenames were very different, I left them in the pack, just in case the game decides to pull them up. Still, I guess this means it took a bit less time since I could copy/paste settings between tracks, and save some time.

Also, an FYI, the game seems to favor the g_ prefixed filename when overriding. For example: song_f_dngn4.ogg was in the sound folder, but the game was pulling up g_dngn4.mid. Not a big deal, just had to rename some files to g_filename, and the game was happy to override the midi.

One of the dungeon tracks calls for a Kimbala instrument (you know, the thumbnail-plucked instrument on a piece of wood with a sound hole in it). I didn't have a sample, for that specific instrument, so I faked it a bit to try to get a similar/convincing sound. I took a marimba, and boosted the highs, and a little bit in the upper-mids to get a snappy plucked resonance out of it. Seemed to work okay, and it fit somewhat.

Otherwise, usual work on my part for interpreting some of the synth instruments (bottle blowing sounds, bowed/metallic/warm pads, etc.)

Enjoy~~~!!!

Just 35 tracks or so left to go!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Cheers mate, Im listening to it now, I love the synths (and sounds in general) you used, very moody and properly dark!!

+ thats a lot of music, 50 tracks are finished, well done! I wonder if everything is used ingame, it deffo should because this music just rocks.

And yes, Daggerfall is strange, maybe thats why it has that mystery to it :twisted:

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Hmm, turns out I DO have a kalimba instrument sample, so I updated the dungeon track that called for it. I'll update the pack of dungeon tracks after I'm done with everything else, and get ready for a proper release.

Just give me a bit of time. Our band has been busy trying to audition drummers since our previous one quit. Seriously, our guitarist contacted like 34 guys on Bandmix, and we've had some responses back. Our group is getting hot to trot to get some gigs and hit the stage, and let our music out into the wild, so to speak, and we need a drummer for that; one who is ready to go and can pick up on the complexity of the songs quickly and easily. Also, I'm about to tutor another local guy on the finer points of working with a DAW and recording his drum kit at his place so he can get some demos done and add backing tracks to them. Might take more than a session or two to get him up to speed, but shouldn't take too long.

I recently had to move my desk back and get my speakers out of the way because maintenance had to replace a leaky valve in the radiator behind my desk. They replaced the apartment heating system, and apparently the pressure change was a bit much for the older valve, and, well, it vented, and leaked down into the bottom floor tenants' bedroom. Everything is back in place, but I should probably double-check the speaker positions using Room EQ Wizard to make sure they're aligned properly and in phase, otherwise, that can lead to poor mixing decisions if I'm not hearing things properly.

Finally, my midi controller (Novation Impulse 61) had the pitch wheel go a bit wonky on me. PItch was dropping a few cents flat without touching anything, and wouldn't return to center pitch according to the midi monitor data (both midi-ox and the midi event data in Reaper). So I decided it was probably the potentiometer going out. Luckily, Full Compass still had some in stock, so I ordered the part, put it in, soldered the wires to the pins, and everything seems fine now.

I'm hoping to get at least a few more years out of this keyboard (I got it 6 years ago). Since I have other things I'd rather spend my money on for Christmas, haha!

I've made a little progress on the music, though. :) I'll put another example or two up on my soundcloud soon!

ebbpp

Post by ebbpp »

Well actually I ware planning to ask for this. On XML Engine forum there was a large section with remasters, it is sad that forum got hacked. Also earlier there was a big website Daggerfall Music Project, I'm listening to the samples for years now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLd5uIA ... DC2C3DA1B7
Sadly due all the Daggerfall Remaster projects died the music project died as well :(
Would be more then happy to hear some high quality tunes, ogg is better then midi in sense of quality I guess, but I really hope that at the end some real high quality music can be added, as it seems this Daggerfall project will succeed.
Thank you for your work and hoping for more ByteMixer.