Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Ralzar »

Mountain Rumours used this for a check where it checked several different skills to solve the situation, which led to different text descriptions of what you did. High enough Pickpocket? You just stole the item. Failing that, high enough Streetwise and you persuaded the target. Failing that, high enough Critical Strike and you just punched the target out. Failing that you just had to fight the target, which semi-failed the quest.

It did not have prompts mind you. You just clicked on the target and you got a text description about how you solved it, fitting your characters skillset.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I have used skill checks in the past, and gradually made them more and more obvious as time has passed. I think I want to make the choices more obvious rather than less, to really put the decision in the player's hands. Maybe I'll go too far and it'll be too game-ish, but I think putting the information in the player's hands will be better received than reading about the effects in retrospect.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yes I would say that's best for almost all use cases. I may have done it that way had the multi button prompt been available at the time. :D

I know that this aspect of Mountain Rumors is sub-optimal because a good proportion of players are unaware of the skill check even exist and go in swords swinging... as soon as they hit then it's combat. you have to left click the foe for the skill checks to trigger. Not found a great way to trigger something when you enter the room though, only when entering the building. Anyway good luck with your checks.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just did "Daedric Submission". I sided with the Daedra. Which caused the Daedra to aggro on me, which felt a bit off? Maybe this could use a Daedric skill check to not get attacked?
I finally went back and remembered the quest's intention. The Daedra isn't meant to be sided with; it'll try to kill you no matter what you do, if you fail to save the mage. I've changed the dialogue to make that clearer now.

I won't be updating the quest pack yet, but this change will be in the next version.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Had some fun today writing new quests and updating old ones:

This is what I hope the future of QP1 has. I can't add choice context to every quest (I wish I could but it would just look really artificial sooner or later), but I'll try to add them anywhere I can.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've split part of QP1 into a separate module called Quest Pack 2. Since I don't expect people to tell the difference between the two while playing the game, they can report bugs in this same thread or on either mod's page on Nexus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/243

risk

Post by risk »

so if we already have the latest QP1 do we need to install QP2? or has the latest QP1 been split?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I haven't added any new content to QP2 yet, so it's essentially the same content split into two different files. There's no need to download them yet, until I add new content.

risk

Post by risk »

oh all good. nice to hear there's updates on these quests

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Really cool quests - enjoying them a lot, but some require a bit more fine tuning, I think...

Particularly, just spent half an hour trying to finish JHFG006 The Bodyguard - when the client ran off, you're supposed to kill 2 rogues in time to save him, but in the tiny house we were in they just didn't spawn in time, and the timer once run out as soon as the first one spawned. I got lucky after a dozen times or so, and they both spawned at once, but it didn't feel great to reload save a dozen times just to get a good spawn. I think the timer here could be more forgiving, or it shouldn't run until all the enemies spawned if it's possible.