Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Jay_H »

Thanks for making the effort :) How this bug could have happened is very odd, so I believe there's some schism in the quest engine. That's all I can think of, so we'll watch to see if/how it happens to anyone else.

theicedevil

Post by theicedevil »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 am The quest is offered if you're level 1 or 2 and will remain for three months. If you manage to rank up to level 85 in three months, you can still take it on ;)
Okay, so it is this quest mod that adds this random quest. Daggerfall is new to me so I did not know if it was a vanilla quest, this mod or the Archeologist mod. Is it intentional to receive a random artifact quest. On my play through I received a letter for the Ring of Hircine. I wasn't a werewolf so I became one just to make it useful. Now my character is OPAF. Also, I watched a Let's Play with Zaric Zhakaron on Twitch with his Swashbuckler build. He received the quest for the Oghma Infinium, died trying to get it, left and became a werewolf, returned and died again, reloaded then nearly died again when the daedra cast a AOR destruction spell and in turned killed itself in the process. Zaric's reaction was priceless.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's by far the most divisive part of the quest pack so far. I'm tempted to add a note on to the Great Knight's letter: "Yes this is meant for you! Who just got to Daggerfall!" :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

So I just won a quiz show and a bit of fame in Daggerfall (and a good bit of coin) and that is good silly fun. :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I really think Daggerfall needs more little events. Not everything needs to be a crusade or a heist or a betrayal. Why not show the simple life these peasants carry on?

Zaric Zhakaron got rather upset in a stream that he looked for work and got a contest, but that's the system limitation for now.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:22 am It's by far the most divisive part of the quest pack so far. I'm tempted to add a note on to the Great Knight's letter: "Yes this is meant for you! Who just got to Daggerfall!" :lol:
I love that quest. My non-magic knight had no idea what this was and just did it at like lvl3-5. He met a Aincient Lich and killed it. (Having high will and resistance to magic helped a LOT. It was still a panicky running session through the caves though :D) Then got the Skeleton Key which has solved SO many problems for him through his adventuring career :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:22 am I really think Daggerfall needs more little events. Not everything needs to be a crusade or a heist or a betrayal. Why not show the simple life these peasants carry on?
I agree. If everything is extra-ordinary, weird, or dramatic, then the extra-ordinary, weird, or dramatic becomes normal.

But what do you think, people across the world with whom I am messaging? ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I absolutely agree. The game is at its best when everyone treats you like a relatively normal person who performs normal tasks for them. You have an epic journey in the game. It's called The Main Quest. Everything else is what you got distracted by while on the main quest.
Most quests and encounters should be relatively mundane, exactly so that stuff like the Main Quest sticks out. Really high-level quest stuff should mostly be limited to top guild rank quests and a random encounter once in a blue moon.

That said, having the option to play other Main Quests would be an awesome addition.

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:10 pm I absolutely agree. The game is at its best when everyone treats you like a relatively normal person who performs normal tasks for them. You have an epic journey in the game. It's called The Main Quest. Everything else is what you got distracted by while on the main quest.
Most quests and encounters should be relatively mundane, exactly so that stuff like the Main Quest sticks out. Really high-level quest stuff should mostly be limited to top guild rank quests and a random encounter once in a blue moon.

That said, having the option to play other Main Quests would be an awesome addition.
Sounds like Skyrim.

Everybody got boring fetch quest. Guilds and main quest are the true interest. Unless you mean we need more quest like "Buy me milk" and stuff like that. Wich I'd have to object... I like living like an average joe in a fantasy world.. not like an average joe in the middle ages... otherwise I might go postal in the middle of the process of aquiring milk. Oh wait... im due for my postal 2 fix.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There are extremes on both sides. I remember once I was running thin on Morrowind content with one install, and the final breaking point for me was stumbling on the stolen pants quest in Gnisis and asking myself, "What's the point of having hundreds of quests if they're this meaningless?" An uninstall swiftly followed.

Quests should always have you do something memorable, no matter the outcome.

Skyrim, uniquely, has interesting premises that are ruined by the game's insipid dialogue and storytelling. No matter how good Skyrim's quests might be or could have been, their presentation is always going to be a failure because the writers simply are not going to pull it off.