Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Jay_H »

That's the Perpetual Quests, which are also mine. One of the things I was dying for in classic was for the game to reach out and try to find you. I want to make a lot more Perpetuals, but good ideas for them are few and far between.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Hmm, I mean when you say perpetual, do you mean they never have an end, or that they are always running in the background and eventually pop up to be done at some point?

If it's the latter than I would almost consider all of the letter "quests" that nobles give you after hitting a certain level as perpetual quest. I know those don't really count for anything but an information hint to something toward story progress.

Off the top of my head for a quest that might be interesting if not just to give the player a possible power spike early if they can complete something relatively difficult. Have the player get stopped by a person who looks afflicted or something, have PC ask what happened to them and they tell the PC about a Witch Hovel at some location (I know these are supposed to be hard to find but hear me out). When you go to the Hovel and talk to main witch, she gives you an offer for a massive discount to summon a daedra prince if you accomplish something very difficult for her within like half a year or something, maybe kill a vampire ancient or something if the quest is given at a very low level. Once complete she would allow you to summon the lord for like 80% discount or something once.

Just off the top of my head as something rare that could spice up a new characters play-through if they get something extremely powerful early like that after accomplishing a feat like killing a vampire ancient at like level 2 or something.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I've wanted to be able to get quests from random nobles for a long time, not just from main quest related nobles.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That's part of classic, but you have to have enough rep with nobility to be thouhght trustworthy...
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Magicono43 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm Hmm, I mean when you say perpetual, do you mean they never have an end, or that they are always running in the background and eventually pop up to be done at some point?
The perpetual quest pack runs itself forever. Daggerfall doesn't offer any mechanism for the player to turn a quest on or off directly, so the way to stop the process is to remove the quest files from the directory or tombstone all quests with the console.
Off the top of my head for a quest that might be interesting if not just to give the player a possible power spike early if they can complete something relatively difficult. Have the player get stopped by a person who looks afflicted or something, have PC ask what happened to them and they tell the PC about a Witch Hovel at some location (I know these are supposed to be hard to find but hear me out). When you go to the Hovel and talk to main witch, she gives you an offer for a massive discount to summon a daedra prince if you accomplish something very difficult for her within like half a year or something, maybe kill a vampire ancient or something if the quest is given at a very low level. Once complete she would allow you to summon the lord for like 80% discount or something once.

Just off the top of my head as something rare that could spice up a new characters play-through if they get something extremely powerful early like that after accomplishing a feat like killing a vampire ancient at like level 2 or something.
This brings up a good mechanic I hadn't considered: low-level quests. Daggerfall has a quest mechanic that triggers once you reach a certain level; I can run the inverse on that and ensure it only runs when you are not above a certain level. And if I package this into the Perpetual Quest system I could create an entirely new branch of newbie quests along these lines. This is a very good route you've mentioned.

There are some things quests can't touch, such as the price of daedric summoning or other items. However, that doesn't mean I couldn't try to initiate the quest directly as a reward for completing another quest. And of course, I could entirely hijack the daedric summoning system and just give the Daedric Prince's reward through my own quest :lol:

I will say as a matter of routine that game development tends to shy away from niche cases. What that means is that devs try to spend minimal time on things that few people will see: a quest only offered to level 1-3 characters is one that few players would find and therefore the effort would be expended mostly in vain. I don't really consider that an impediment, though. I'm thinking of forcibly initiating one of three newbie quests right from the start in the Perpetual System, so the player will absolutely see one with each character, but it won't be the same one each time. I just have to ensure that, making quests for low-level characters, I don't make them in a way that impels them to come and complain about bad game design :lol: And it would have a long-term time limit so you sort of feel like you're racing towards completion. I like it.

The rewards system right now is a bit limited, I can mention. I can give a weapon as a quest reward, but AFAIK it's randomly chosen and always iron, so I can't pick out an Ebony Daikatana and give it to a level 3 character. I could give people a ship, though...

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Very strange the limits the quest reward system inhibits. You can give something like a ship, but not something of higher quality than Iron that is consistent, guess the original devs really went full Randomly Generated crazy with their systems. But yeah, I think the low level quest thing is a decent idea and just like DLC in Oblivion or something all of those quests are given to you at the start of the game, but you have the choice to just ignore them if you want to. These sorts of low level quests have the same sort of feel I think, it is you or your characters choice to either pursue them or not, nothing is forcing you to complete them if you don't want.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:24 pm That's part of classic, but you have to have enough rep with nobility to be thouhght trustworthy...
To quote UESP: "You can get these quests from some (but not all) royals and all nobles, as long as your reputation with the noble is sufficiently high. Specifically, only the following people offer Nobles Quests: Akorithi, Barenziah, Charvek-si, Eadwyre, Gothryd, Greklith, Lady Bridwell, Lady Northbridge, Lord Bridwell, Lord Darkworth, Lord K'avar, Lord Provlith, Lord Vhosek, Mobar and Mynisera.

The remaining nobles, that are in one or another way affiliated to the Main Quest, including Cyndassa, can also offer you these quest, but not until the Main Quest Start-Up is completed. However with an unpatched questfile, this will never be the case, since the Main Quest Start-Up will never end."

So according to UESP, random nobles (say, the guy in the castle in Chesterwark) can't offer you a "noble quest", only nobles affiliated with the main quest. Which still doesn't mean I'm necessarily right. :)

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Quests#Nobles
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

When I implemented the quest dispensing system I just assumed the noble quests could be given by any noble, if UESP is right (and it often isn't) that classic restricts it then DFU is working differently here. Can someone confirm classic behaviour?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

JHTGX07 has errors on my computer:

1) FPS is less than 1.
2) The camera resets to the starting position a few seconds after any movement.
3) The main menu will not open.

Edit: This seems endemic WRT the quest pack with the latest Daggerfall version.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

In my sig I have links to two versions: one for 0.7.2 and previous and one for 0.7.3 and beyond. Which one are you using? Hazelnut has warned that quest packs will be in a transition period for awhile.