Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Narf the Mouse

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:20 am When I tested it this week, I was quick enough to slay them as they arrived, but my character's unbalanced and not everyone's going to be able to do that. I'm going to alter the spawn rate to 12 minutes with 50% chance. That should let the player catch up. I've also reduced the kills to 5 and boosted the gold a little, but not much: the new range is 400-700. I believe Daggerfall reserves 1,000+ sums for its more legendary acts, from what I've seen. You can correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the feedback :)

The way you changed it, the quest's going to end with 2 dead. I'm not going that low Narf! No way! :D
I'll make the same changes on my end. 2,000 to 4,000 gp is about what I get on a dungeon run at level 2, which 14 scorpions is equivalent to. And scorpions don't drop loot.

yeah, sure, according to your numbers, but if you want, I can send you a screenshot of all 14 scorpions! :P ;)

...Might be a bug, there, if it's supposed to be only 7 scorpions.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

They'll spawn forever until 7 are killed. So if you have a big backlog of arachnids, there'll be a lot leftover when spawning ends.

It's actually a safety measure. If only 7 spawn at most, then you could despawn them by leaving town. If you return, zero would spawn and the quest would be impossible to complete.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:12 am They'll spawn forever until 7 are killed. So if you have a big backlog of arachnids, there'll be a lot leftover when spawning ends.

It's actually a safety measure. If only 7 spawn at most, then you could despawn them by leaving town. If you return, zero would spawn and the quest would be impossible to complete.
Ah. That explains it, thanks.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

By the way, I decided to fix up a quest about gargoyles outside the city for this same reason. Now it should be a lot more fair.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but the best way to keep up to date on the quests is through my github page. I've added a link directly to the first post of this topic.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:50 pm By the way, I decided to fix up a quest about gargoyles outside the city for this same reason. Now it should be a lot more fair.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but the best way to keep up to date on the quests is through my github page. I've added a link directly to the first post of this topic.
Pre-emptive thanks for the pre-emptive fix. :)

Just completed a quest with a wild animal attack that seems like a counter-part to the scorpion/spider quest, only this time it was bears. Would have been entirely fair, but an archer popped up (probably a random wandering enemy), so I had to pop my regeneration spell.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's unlucky and unintended but part of the package. Enemies like that usually take hours to appear. I could switch the animals to spawn during the day, but the risk of committing murder is a bigger problem, I think.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm That's unlucky and unintended but part of the package. Enemies like that usually take hours to appear. I could switch the animals to spawn during the day, but the risk of committing murder is a bigger problem, I think.
Oh, no, that wasn't a complaint, just a note. :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Prester Lewin wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:02 pm There's a fighters quest where I had to pick up an emerald and it turned out fighters and mercs were being headhunted (I assume it's from this mod!) The quester said at the end keep the emerald and take his life savings, but the emerald was removed from my inventory, along with the other quest object (a note). A mere detail - it was fun to do, anyway, and well rewarded by the misc loot from enemies.
You were absolutely right. I was erroneously using a quest command that would take the gem from the PC. I've fixed it now. Thanks for reporting it.

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

I've had a couple of quests where the mages parachute you in to a dungeon and you have to find the exit, as well as the quest target. I've really enjoyed having the extra objective, as it makes you work harder. You can't just go in, lay down a teleport marker, then explore and teleport, dump loot, and repeat over and over. I'll be taking a lot of those quests in future.

Is there something in the assassin quest that involves either:
Spoiler!
- the assassin moves around,

-or the assassin comes and finds you after a certain amount of time, if you haven't found them already?

Because I've met the assassins in ordinary corridors a couple of times, not typical spawn spots, and the more recent time was a place near the exit I'd passed through a dozen times already.

I'm happy with the 2nd option. The first one would be a bit tougher, given some of the dungeon layouts. The last time I did this quest, it was a 4 block dungeon all in a line and I was having to trek back the whole length of the dungeon in search of the assassin.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Spoiler!
The enemy is meant to spawn after a specific amount of time, and not at a quest location. That's actually due to a limitation of the quest system: you would only be teleported directly to the enemy's location if I tried to use a static spawn place, and that would make for a really easy quest :lol:
I'm happy the teleport system is shaking things up. I worry when I use the same mechanic too many times, whether it gets tiring or not.