Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Prester Lewin

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Prester Lewin »

Okay, thanks for the reply. Another quest - the fighters ancient vampire one (trying not to spoil this for others). I ended up with something in my inventory after the quest was finished (cleared from my Log). It was marked as a quest object, enchanted and had weight. I couldn't do anything with it (was trying to drop it or use IK's identify spell fix on it). I went back to the guild and still had the quest item. After reloading back in the dungeon, the object had disappeared - is that what is intended? If so, I don't have a problem with it disappearing, but I'd like to have a message along the lines of "the item evaporates from your grasp; perhaps it was a fool's errand".

Before I used invisible true to play hunt the ancient, I holed up in a small room and killed about 30 of his followers in there. I didn't cheat, except that I had a never-depleting heal item, but I got some great items, including ebony boots and daedric greaves, and it was a blast. I would have taken and loaded up a screenshot of the carnage, if I knew how. :oops:

Eventually, if you get enough bodies, they seem to get in the way of your ability to hit the next wave of attackers, but the next wave can still hit you through the bodies. I've had it happen, for example, when fighting 3 monsters through a doorway. I'm not suggesting this is a feature of your mod, but of DFU. I can't recall if Oldfall did the same thing, but it can get an inexperienced player killed. Btw, it can also happen with enemies in a cage.
Last edited by Prester Lewin on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, that's certainly not intended. The reward is supposed to be worth all that fracas :lol: I'm quite surprised someone managed to beat it! But invis strats would work, after all ;)

Everything about the quest suggests it should stay in your inventory. I'll try running it myself right now. Since this seems like a quest engine error, I think this'll be something Interkarma would deal with.

The corpse blocking glitch is indeed problematic, but I don't know if I've reported it yet. I think up until now I've considered it too low a priority to mention it, but you're free to make a bug report.
Last edited by Jay_H on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I just tried it and my reward stayed in my inventory. I even fast traveled to the other end of the world map, I reloaded the save game, and it's still there. I can't reproduce this problem. If you find a way to make it happen consistently, that'd be a good bug to report.

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

A screenshot from that quest...
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (181.57 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
I got 4 daedric, 3 ebony, 6 mithril, 1 adamantium, 12 dwarven and 8 elven items and 50k gold - not bad for level 12. I had to kill a LOT of enemies for that loot, though.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This has happened in the past, like with the first Thieves Guild quest I wrote. It's just a product of Daggerfall's engine: where you have a lot of humans, there'll be a lot of loot. I've rationalized it by saying that if you spend enough time anywhere, the same thing will happen eventually; this is just at high speed.

Illusion will always be game-breaking until it gets modded down. Now if you're telling me to use vampire ancients and liches instead, who don't drop the same loot and can see invisibility, I'm willing to listen :)

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:11 pm This has happened in the past, like with the first Thieves Guild quest I wrote. It's just a product of Daggerfall's engine: where you have a lot of humans, there'll be a lot of loot. I've rationalized it by saying that if you spend enough time anywhere, the same thing will happen eventually; this is just at high speed.

Illusion will always be game-breaking until it gets modded down. Now if you're telling me to use vampire ancients and liches instead, who don't drop the same loot and can see invisibility, I'm willing to listen :)
As you say, there is huge variability in loot in DF, but that's true of most (if not all) RPGs I've played. I've always mostly picked quests in DF with potential loot in mind, because I need an incentive to tackle the tortuous dungeons. This was a 3 block one, with the entrance beautifully placed at the inner corner of an L-shape. I wish they were all that friendly. Someone will make a mod, no doubt. I'd like to try it myself, if I had a clue what tools to use.

By the way, I didn't use invisibility to kill the enemies, just to run through the dungeon and find the vampire ancient, when I started to worry about having too much stuff to go on my wagon. So leave it as it is, please. ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Prester Lewin wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:36 pm By the way, I didn't use invisibility to kill the enemies, just to run through the dungeon and find the vampire ancient, when I started to worry about having too much stuff to go on my wagon. So leave it as it is, please. ;)
One of the things I'm waiting on is for Nightblades and Mages to use their classic spells. Daggerfall Nightblades are horrible; after a certain level a single one can evaporate most of your health. I think that'll be part of the balancing act here :D

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:42 pm
Prester Lewin wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:36 pm By the way, I didn't use invisibility to kill the enemies, just to run through the dungeon and find the vampire ancient, when I started to worry about having too much stuff to go on my wagon. So leave it as it is, please. ;)
One of the things I'm waiting on is for Nightblades and Mages to use their classic spells. Daggerfall Nightblades are horrible; after a certain level a single one can evaporate most of your health. I think that'll be part of the balancing act here :D
Yeah, there are swings and roundabouts at the moment. Somethings make the game a little harder, like limited spellcasting, no enchanting, etc, but on the whole, it's not as challenging as it used to be - for now. Even so, compared to the hand-holding you get in Skyrim, it's not too unbalanced. It comes as a bit of a shock when you touch the wrong object in a dungeon and it's instant death.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I just did JHFG010 and it spawned 14 giant scorpions. The only reason I survived is I dropped all of my magicka on a regen spell, a lot of manoeuvring, and reloading.

And then I got 400 gp. :P

Currently level 2, with 100 HP, and a mix of chain, steel, and elven armour, with an elven longsword and tower shield.

That being said, this quest would be a fun and neat addition if it wasn't Night of the Living Arachnids. ;) Either that, or if the quest reward was commensurate; for example, 2,000 to 4,000 gp, or a magic item.

I've changed the enemy numbers in my local copy to:

Code: Select all

killed 2 _enemy1_
	killed 2 _enemy2_
I'm guessing that'll result in 4 scorpions or spiders. Or possibly 0, 2, or 4; I'm not sure how to read:

Code: Select all

Clock _2captive_ 00:00 0 flag 1 range 0 2
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

When I tested it this week, I was quick enough to slay them as they arrived, but my character's unbalanced and not everyone's going to be able to do that. I'm going to alter the spawn rate to 12 minutes with 50% chance. That should let the player catch up. I've also reduced the kills to 5 and boosted the gold a little, but not much: the new range is 400-700. I believe Daggerfall reserves 1,000+ sums for its more legendary acts, from what I've seen. You can correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the feedback :)

The way you changed it, the quest's going to end with 2 dead. I'm not going that low Narf! No way! :D