[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
TheLacus

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by TheLacus »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm This looks really nice! Great work! :D
Thank you! :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Interkarma what do you think of allowing mods to inject json data inside save folders via events? I'd like to store the time a crop was harvested to make it unlootable for a few days.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm ok with that! :) But I would prefer if mod save data was saved to its own file separate to any core save files. Ideally, each mod should get its own save file prefixed clearly so delete save can identify them. General process something like:
  • Create hooks to send save data back and forth between mods and core.
  • If mod returns null save data (e.g not implemented, no save needed) then don't create a save file.
  • If mod returns data, core should create a file like "mod_RealGrass.txt", so mod_ followed by mod name.
  • During load, core can send mod_ named files back to appropriate mod.
  • When deleting a save, also delete mod_ files so next save to reuse that slot doesn't inherit old mod save data. Delete save only deletes known owned files for safety so it doesn't naively delete data user might have placed in folder for some reason. Numbered save folders can be recycled after the previous save in that folder was deleted.
It should be possible to wire everything up so the mod only needs to return and receive a data package and the core takes care of all the nitty gritty of managing save files.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

This is looking amazing! Why don't you include Vibrant wind in the base package?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Interkermit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:48 am This is looking amazing! Why don't you include Vibrant wind in the base package?
Thank you!

Vibrant wind changes global terrain and wind settings which affects grass, trees as well as particles (think about fire and chimney smoke). It's a separate mod because someone may want to use it with different vegetation mods that may be created in the future.
All features of Real Grass can be switched off except for grass itself. Maybe i can add a toggle for it and merge wind control as a separate feature in the same mod.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

TheLacus wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 am
Interkermit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:48 am This is looking amazing! Why don't you include Vibrant wind in the base package?
Thank you!

Vibrant wind changes global terrain and wind settings which affects grass, trees as well as particles (think about fire and chimney smoke). It's a separate mod because someone may want to use it with different vegetation mods that may be created in the future.
All features of Real Grass can be switched off except for grass itself. Maybe i can add a toggle for it and merge wind control as a separate feature in the same mod.
I think that would be a good idea assuming it wouldn't take too much effort, I don't see anyone not wanting it, and if you could just turn it off to fix compatibility then I don't think there's much reason not to.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

The only reason I dont use vibrant wind is maybe a performance hit, but if its in no reason not to try it, whats it run like ?
Seems like it would be nice with all the grass...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Interkermit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:16 am
TheLacus wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 am
Thank you!

I think that would be a good idea assuming it wouldn't take too much effort, I don't see anyone not wanting it, and if you could just turn it off to fix compatibility then I don't think there's much reason not to.
Thank you for your feedback. I'll think about it for the next time, for the moment i'm just going to push a quick update to restore compatibility.
Midknightprince wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27 pm The only reason I dont use vibrant wind is maybe a performance hit, but if its in no reason not to try it, whats it run like ?
Seems like it would be nice with all the grass...
It doesn't change wind quality, it sets options that affects visual strength on grass according to weather. This has no effects on performance. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Some screenshots. PS: we need a no-hud command

Spoiler!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice screens, your mods are top notch! I agree on the no-hud command, and Id add - a gamma/brightness slider in options... somewhere by the FOV settings etc