[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for approved mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ifkopifko

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by ifkopifko » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks for your reply and concern. :)

As I said, it's a slight stutter (yer clearly visible to my eyes) every 2-3 seconds of running. It is indeed much like when new terrain is generated, but that is not happening so often. That's why I think it's the process of generating new grass on the terrain or something similar.

I have also tried switching the "realistic" option with no impact on the stutter. Only difference is cca +250MB VRAM usage with realistic turned on.

Nystul

Post by Nystul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm

There is a problem with the most recent version of this mod throwing an exception:

Code: Select all

Not allowed to access Renderer.material on prefab object. Use Renderer.sharedMaterial instead
UnityEngine.Renderer:get_material()
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager:SetGrass(String, String, String)
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager:UpdateClimateSummer(ClimateBases)
RealGrass.RealGrass:AddTerrainDetails(DaggerfallTerrain, TerrainData)
RealGrass.RealGrass:DaggerfallTerrain_OnPromoteTerrainData(DaggerfallTerrain, TerrainData)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain:RaiseOnPromoteTerrainDataEvent(TerrainData) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:378)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain:PromoteTerrainData(Boolean) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:291)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:UpdateTerrainData(TerrainDesc) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:1153)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:InitPlayerTerrain() (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:588)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:Update() (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:242)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager.SetGrass (System.String mesh, System.String classic, System.String realistic)
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager.UpdateClimateSummer (ClimateBases currentClimate)
RealGrass.RealGrass.AddTerrainDetails (DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain daggerTerrain, UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData)
RealGrass.RealGrass.DaggerfallTerrain_OnPromoteTerrainData (DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain sender, UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain.RaiseOnPromoteTerrainDataEvent (UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:378)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain.PromoteTerrainData (Boolean raisePromoteTerrainEvent) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:291)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld.UpdateTerrainData (TerrainDesc terrainDesc) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:1153)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld.InitPlayerTerrain () (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:588)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:242)
this also causes a bug where the player will fall through the world:
to reproduce: fast travel to Tigonus - Rhogilah and the player has no terrain under his feet

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks Nystul, I'll check when I can. Does this happen only if you run in editor mode or also with live build?
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.

Nystul

Post by Nystul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:19 pm

only checked in editor - will check in live build tomorrow

johnwax

Post by johnwax » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 am

#139 Win 7 X32 - I am running 3 low level DFU chars and 2 higher level imported classic chars. I just installed the Real Grass mod. It works fine with my 3 DFU chars, but my 2 imports crashed. I have a quad 6.2 gb CPU and 8 gb ram, which should be fine even for resource intensive mods. could it be an incompatibility with imports?

Nystul

Post by Nystul » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am

only in editor - tested with 64-bit build #62 - would be interesting which unity version was used for this build (was it already 2018.2.11f?)

Usernamicus

Post by Usernamicus » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:07 am

I believe I'm having similar falling through the world issues with Dragontail Mountains and the jungled baronies such as Satakalaam and Mournoth, but I have yet to try them with the mod turned off so I can't say for sure if it's related to this mod or not.

Also a side note that I didn't think was a big enough deal to warrant screenshots, but I found a floating piece of grass in the sky out in the wilderness of Wayrest.

Great mod btw, I love it (aside from the falling issue of course).

EDIT: Win 10, 32 version I believe.
Attachments
Screenshot (439).png
Screenshot (439).png (296.6 KiB) Viewed 232 times

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Nystul wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am
only in editor - tested with 64-bit build #62 - would be interesting which unity version was used for this build (was it already 2018.2.11f?)
I think the issue is that i assign a texture to a material on a gameobject which is loaded from the assetbundle without cloning it. When the game runs in editor mode, it might be working with a reference to the prefab rather than a live object, which is not allowed:

Not allowed to access Renderer.material on prefab object. Use Renderer.sharedMaterial instead
I have not had time to check this is game yet, but i'm glad you solved with a workaround for now :)
johnwax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 am
#139 Win 7 X32 - I am running 3 low level DFU chars and 2 higher level imported classic chars. I just installed the Real Grass mod. It works fine with my 3 DFU chars, but my 2 imports crashed. I have a quad 6.2 gb CPU and 8 gb ram, which should be fine even for resource intensive mods. could it be an incompatibility with imports?
This mod has no effect on chars, but when you load a save the game need to create terrain and world, including making the grass. If you have a crash only with imported saves i don't think this mod is the issue, though.
Usernamicus wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:07 am
I believe I'm having similar falling through the world issues with Dragontail Mountains and the jungled baronies such as Satakalaam and Mournoth, but I have yet to try them with the mod turned off so I can't say for sure if it's related to this mod or not.
When you have a crash, read the log (you can find the location here). It should help to point to the origin of the problem. ;)

I noticed that you both use a 32 bit build, might be related to ram usage.
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.

Nystul

Post by Nystul » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:06 pm

TheLacus wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:45 pm
I have not had time to check this is game yet, but i'm glad you solved with a workaround for now :)
the workaround fixes the issues of my mod, but it does not resolve the problem of falling through the world (e.g. in Tigonus - Rhogilah) when real grass is the only active mod:

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 pm

I am also experiencing the fall-through issue when I exit the Privateer's Hold for example... happens only when Real Grass is active. Win7 64bit and 16GB of RAM. At first I thought it is because of loading a save created under different DFU build, but I have just tried a new game, and it happens anyway.

EDIT: :D Tried something just out of curiosity. This particular fall-through issue seems to be related to season. When there is snow, I will fall though anywhere even after fast travel. Also, the terrain loading seems a bit faster than under normal situation. With normal, I mean when there is grass on the ground and I have no fall-through issues.