[0.10.23] Magic items can lose all durability within hours of being equipped [RESOLVED 0.10.24]

Falci

[0.10.23] Magic items can lose all durability within hours of being equipped [RESOLVED 0.10.24]

Post by Falci »

So, I have a bunch of items with passive enchantments and Health leech whenever used. Some of them have the Repair Objects passive enchantment and I have repair magic items on.

The problem is, they're getting obliterated very quickly. The jewel items can withstand a bit of dungeon delving, but the clothes can barely survive a stroll through any city.

For example, I have a long shirt with Enhances skill: Mercantile, Stealth, lockpicking and Long Blade, and Health leech whenever used.

It absolutely breaks in a matter of minutes of gameplay. Is this how it should work?

Also, I noticed I can equip two cloaks at the same time. Is this correct behavior?
Attachments
SAVE4.zip
(243.98 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Interkarma

Re: Magic item durability question

Post by Interkarma »

I've split this to its own topic as it's unrelated to the discussion you posted it to. There's an open conversation on item durability below.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2584

The durability loss for cast when held items matches classic as far as I'm aware.. But this is something we can investigate further if it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Yep, you can equip two cloaks. This works like classic.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Falci wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:37 pm For example, I have a long shirt with Enhances skill: Mercantile, Stealth, lockpicking and Long Blade, and Health leech whenever used.
The topic Interkarma linked has much more detail, but the specific item above - assuming you haven't actively been "using" it, and I'm not sure why you would given the Health Leech disadvantage - shouldn't be degrading at all. Enhances Skill" is one of many (most) enchantments that should never degrade an item, at least in classic. See also https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Enc ... aker_Items. Not sure what may be going on.

Very important note: "Cast When Held" items (which will degrade under certain conditions, but the degradation of which has not yet been fully implemented in DFU the last I heard at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3621) operate completely differently from most other "passive" enchantments like "Enhances Skill" (which should never degrade the item under any circumstances - again, see the UESP page I linked for details).
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, the passive items shouldn't degrade as far as I'm aware. I haven't had time to look at save yet to see the exact enchantment payloads on these and monitor in debugger. So something else could be going on.

Falci

Post by Falci »

mikeprichard wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:27 pm ...I'm not sure why you would given the Health Leech disadvantage...
It's an exploit documented in the UESP. 4000 extra enchantment points in the item, and I just have to never "use" the item. So I load any item with passive enchantments and/or cast when held and I can have the benefits without the disadvantages.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Falci wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:52 pm
mikeprichard wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:27 pm ...I'm not sure why you would given the Health Leech disadvantage...
It's an exploit documented in the UESP. 4000 extra enchantment points in the item, and I just have to never "use" the item. So I load any item with passive enchantments and/or cast when held and I can have the benefits without the disadvantages.
Yes, I'm the person who documented it! What I meant was, I assume you weren't actually "using" (activating) the item; if you were, that might explain the item's durability loss. I can completely understand why you applied the enchantment to take advantage of the exploit.
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falci

Post by Falci »

Hahaha... sorry, I misinterpreted your comment. :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

It's all good! Anyway, I'm sure Interkarma will confirm what's going on when he has time to research your save.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Have quickly looked at save and agree something doesn't seem right here. I haven't looked deeply or pinned anything down yet.

I'll move to bug reports as its own issue rather than merge with the existing one. That first conversation has turned into more of a research topic for future, whereas this looks like a bad outcome of current durability setup and will need a fix sooner.

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.23] Magic items can lose all durability within hours of being equipped

Post by Interkarma »

I've looked at this a bit closer. Two things I note are:
  1. Equipped enchanted items lose durability regardless of enchantment type. Passive or active, they lose at the same rate. This differs from my mental map so needs to be revisited.
  2. This durability loss is happening per enchantment. So every additional enchantment will increase rate of loss.
In its current implementation, this does not match classic as intended. I have attached a classic save to demonstrate. Character is wearing a single enchanted short shirt with Enhances Skill Mercantile and Bad Reputation With All.

Load this into classic and loiter for a total of 9 hours and item remains at New condition. Import this save into DFU and loiter for 9 hours, and item will lose condition. The more enchantments you stack on item, the faster it loses condition.

Edit: I've now rested for over 1000 hours in classic and the test item has lost no durability. I'm just going to revert the current mechanic and will review this ahead of next builds.
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(63.49 KiB) Downloaded 120 times