Build #131 Player motor does not behave like classic Daggerfall [CLOSED]

DeanReaver

Build #131 Player motor does not behave like classic Daggerfall [CLOSED]

Post by DeanReaver »

By playing Daggerfall original and unity, there are still large differences in the way the player movement functions and hope someone can fix these problems by me pointing them out.

1) Player motor in interaction to the ground.
There seems to be something that keeps the player attached to the ground no matter how deep a slope that ground has. It's as if the player motor is attached to the ground, forcing it to match with it, only changing when falling when there is no longer any more ground below them or when jumping or climbing. This is probably the main thing keeping me from playing Daggerfall unity because rage quitting from falling down and dying at slops is something that doesn't happen in the original.
Dff.png
Dff.png (29.9 KiB) Viewed 879 times
2) Play motor in interacting with the ceiling.
In Unity, the player bounces off the ceiling then it falls, but in original Daggerfall, it instead acts as if the player's jump is separately tracked in correlation to the player. The jump ignores the ceiling while the player doesn't, Player instead being the thing jumping, just fallows the directory of the jump to the best of its ability. This seems to only come into effect in regards to ceilings and not walls or floors.
CF.png
CF.png (27.74 KiB) Viewed 879 times
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I didn't post this in bugs mainly because I felt this was more of an unimplemented feature instead of a bug.
Attachments
Dff.png (29.9 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Interkarma

Re: Making Player motor work more like original.

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums DeanReaver. :)

Your diagrams are excellent and perfectly explain a couple of known issues with player movement. Just so you know where these sit on the roadmap, I have them placed in the 0.9 feature line right now. There are other issues I wish to address around this as well (like sticking on bad geometry and needing to crouch through certain doorways at the bottom of ramps).

If often feels like Daggerfall's interiors were designed around its rather loose physics implementation. Slopes like the one in your first image are practically vertical walls and falling off them is technically the correct thing to happen. Same with the head hit reversal in second image. This is what happens when a more sophisticated physics system is turned loose on such geometry. The motor will be tuned to behave more like Daggerfall over time.

Thanks for the feedback! I might move this to bug reports, as it does pertain to actionable items that affect gameplay, and describes them very well.

Interkarma

Re: Build #131 Player motor does not behave like classic Daggerfall [CLOSED]

Post by Interkarma »

Improvements have been made to the movement code to support running down steep ramps and leaping over pits as described in the thread. Closing this one for now. Please feel free to return with more feedback if required.